Huck's Top 31: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This draft looks like one of the weakest in recent memory tbh

Agreed. Very weak class, both in regard to high-end talent and depth. Sucks for a team like Seattle in their expansion year.

2020 though...that class has it all.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Can you elaborate on being more impressive? In terms of what exactly? You added nothing into the conversation...

I say Stank is the best all around skater in this draft class and has a wicked release. Stank also broke Tyson Jost's goal record in BCMML as a 1st year midget, Jost was a 2nd year midget player when he first made the record.

Except Jost only played 1 year of midget before jumping to the bchl.

And while it's an impressive record that stank has set (maybe even more impressive is that while he had 101 Points and 2nd in the league had 63 points), saying that he beat Jost and therefor he should be 1st overall, seems a bit odd given Jost hasn't really lived up to his 10th overall selection yet, let alone a 1st overall selection.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Except Jost only played 1 year of midget before jumping to the bchl.

And while it's an impressive record that stank has set (maybe even more impressive is that while he had 101 Points and 2nd in the league had 63 points), saying that he beat Jost and therefor he should be 1st overall, seems a bit odd given Jost hasn't really lived up to his 10th overall selection yet, let alone a 1st overall selection.
I stand corrected on Jost being 1st yr midget.

But i never said Stank should be #1 just because he beat Jost....I elaborated on his accomplishments. If you read my post you'll see his skill set as why i predict he will be #1.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Stankoven would have to have a major growth spurt to be in the top 3 consideration. He is skilled enough. Guenthar is a superior forward at this point IMO.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Stankoven would have to have a major growth spurt to be in the top 3 consideration. He is skilled enough. Guenthar is a superior forward at this point IMO.
Tell that to the scouts who have Stank as consensus top forward in Western Canada. ‍♂️

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Can you elaborate on being more impressive? In terms of what exactly? You added nothing into the conversation...

I say Stank is the best all around skater in this draft class and has a wicked release. Stank also broke Tyson Jost's goal record in BCMML as a 1st year midget, Jost was a 2nd year midget player when he first made the record.

You realize Tyson Jost only ever played 1 year of Midget right?

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
You realize Tyson Jost only ever played 1 year of Midget right?
Re- read this thread where i told the guy i stood corrected. I read a tweet that was incorrect on josts age.

Thank you sunshine. Hope you have a wonderful evening.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
As much as I don't think Roy will be a top 10 pick, L'Heureux likely won't be a first round NHL draft pick as far as I am concerned. Don't think Robidas is a first round player either. I'd look at Evan Nause, Zachary Bolduc as having better NHL upside from the recent Q draft. Also don't know if Malatesta is even a NHL prospect at this point. Tinling's upside is much higher.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This draft looks like one of the weakest in recent memory tbh
It's the weakest one in a long, long time. Since 2012 or something.
Oleksii myklukha?
Not done enough to be listed in first round IMO. Then again, with this draft class, maybe he has.
Tell that to the scouts who have Stank as consensus top forward in Western Canada. ‍♂️
I thought this was your list? In any case, I just don't see a 5'8" guy going #1OA. Caufield went #15.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Having Zachary L'Heureux this high and above Joshua Roy is certainly controversial but it is not out of the realm of possibilities. I have seen L'Heureux since he was 12 and his progression has been unbeliveable. He's a complete player with size, speed, skills and work ethics. If he has a solid rookie season in Moncton I could definitely see him climb up the rankings. As of right now though I think most scouts would have Joshua Roy in the top-3 of the 2021 draft

Glad to see Zachary Bolduc and James Malatesta ranked, other similar talent from the Q either comitted to the Q or going the USA route include Guillaume Richard (Maine), Evan Nause (USHL), Zach Dean (Gatineau), Oscar Plandkowski (Charlottetown), Cameron Whynot, Dovar Tinling (may report to Shawinigan) and Olivier Nadeau (Shawinigan)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
As much as I don't think Roy will be a top 10 pick, L'Heureux likely won't be a first round NHL draft pick as far as I am concerned. Don't think Robidas is a first round player either. I'd look at Evan Nause, Zachary Bolduc as having better NHL upside from the recent Q draft. Also don't know if Malatesta is even a NHL prospect at this point. Tinling's upside is much higher.

I have seen a lot of people having doubts on Roy, funny how he was compared to Lafreniere (mainly because of stats) just a couple of months ago. For the record I don't think we should discriminate before he even plays a game in the Q, he has high hockey IQ and he will be surrounded by a ton of talent in Saint John. Unless he completely falls apart I believe he will be in the conversation for a top-10 pick until draft day.

You are right I love Tinling's upside as well as Nause and Bolduc, there is Richard as well the smooth-skating dman committed to Maine. As for Malatesta he does have great physical tools and a booming shot, but has ran into injuries problem the last 2 years. A good year with a lot of exposure with the Quebec Remparts could put him on the map for the 2nd or 3rd round. His former teammate Charles-Alexis Legault is also a top talent but too many injuries. From what I have seen from Legault he has the skating, hockey sense and size to be considered an NHL prospect if he recovers well from past troubles

Reactions: Dominance

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
My “what about these guys?” list...

Artem Guryev, LHD, RUS, Peterborough (OHL)
Ben Schimek, F, USA, Omaha (USHL)
Carter Schade, LHD, USA, Lincoln (USHL)
Colby Saganiuk, F, USA, US NTDP (USHL)
Colton Dach, C, CAN, Saskatoon (WHL)

Dylan Duke, C, USA, US NTDP (USHL)
Eero Niemii, LW, FIN, Sioux City (USHL)
Evan Nause, LHD, CAN, Sioux Falls (USHL)
Fabian Lysell, LW, SWE, Frölunda (Sweden)
Francesco Pinelli, C, CAN, Kitchener (OHL)

Fyodor Svechkov, F, RUS, Ladia Togliatti (Russia)
Isaac Belliveau, LHD, CAN, Rimouski (QMJHL)
Isak Rosen, LW, SWE, Leksands (Sweden)
Jacob Guevin, RHD, CAN, Northwood (USPHL)
Jayden Grubbe, RW, CAN, Red Deer (WHL)

Jon-Randall Avon, C, CAN, Peterborough (OHL)
Liam Dower Nilsson, C, SWE, Frölunda (Sweden)
Liam Gilmartin, LW, USA, US NTDP (USHL)
Logan Mailloux, RHD, CAN, London (OHL)
Luke Mittelstadt, LHD, USA, Madison (USHL)

Mackie Samoskevich, F, USA, Chicago (USHL)
Noah Meier, LHD, SUI, GCK (Switzerland)
Olivier Boutin, LHD, CAN, Gatineau (QMJHL)
Olivier Nadeau, RW, CAN, Shawinigan (QMJHL)
Prokhor Poltapov, RW, RUS, Dynamo Moscow (Russia)

Roman Schmidt, LHD, USA, US NTDP (USHL)
Ryan St. Louis, LW, USA, US NTDP (USHL)
Ryan Winterton, C, CAN, Hamilton (OHL)
Simon Edvinsson, LHD, SWE, Frölunda (Sweden)
Simon Robertsson, RW, SWE, Skelleftea (Sweden)

Wyatt Johnston, C, CAN, Windsor (OHL)
Zack Stringer, F, CAN, Lethbridge (WHL)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

I talk to a few scouts semi regularly and they all say the same thing. A lot will depend if he grows a bit in the next couple of years. He was around 5'8 160 pounds at the Canada games and he was good there but BC disappointed in that tournament. He probably ends up in the top 20 mix if he produces at Junior.

The top Canadians right now for me are Roy,Lambos,Clarke and Guenthar

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
I talk to a few scouts semi regularly and they all say the same thing. A lot will depend if he grows a bit in the next couple of years. He was around 5'8 160 pounds at the Canada games and he was good there but BC disappointed in that tournament. He probably ends up in the top 20 mix if he produces at Junior.

The top Canadians right now for me are Roy,Lambos,Clarke and Guenthar
I talk to enough whl scouts and it's consensus Stank is top western Canada forward, trust me I have real connections not like your fake news.

He would've went 1st in the bantam draft if he didn't tell clubs he'd go to junior A if he didn't get drafted by his hometown.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
I talk to enough whl scouts and it's consensus Stank is top western Canada forward, trust me I have real connections not like your fake news.

He would've went 1st in the bantam draft if he didn't tell clubs he'd go to junior A if he didn't get drafted by his hometown.

Thought this was a discussion thread? If you didn't want to hear what others have then just go talk to your scouts.

On topic, 2021 definitely looks like a draft where you really see what you have in your scouts, as there's no real surefire blue chips like you'd get in 2020 or 2022. Might be a year where you'd see more picks traded both at the deadline and during the draft just based on the lack of consensus.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

I've seen you make these bold claims pretty regularly. Your high opinion of yourself really isn't doing you any favours.

Please consider how you are coming across and how other people are connected in the hockey community as well.

You are not the only person in this community with connections to scouts. There are actual scouts who are on these forums afterall.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Many teams had Aiden Hreschuk #1, but with him being a USDP commit he was not getting drafted very high. After that Lambos became a pretty heavy #1 favourite within the scouting community with Stankoven seen as a 1/2. But I don't think Edmonton was drafting anyone other than the hometown kid in Guenther even if Stankoven would report. I also heard there were a lot of scouts that were really high on Trevor Wong but he was already commited to NCAA. Kelowna took a massive chance on him at 18 even though he likely could have been taken much later.

Reactions: Huck Cheever

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have followed Almquist quite a bit, as I live in Denmark.

This kid could rival Ehlers, already dominates kids a few years older than him, and adults in some cases.

and have seen him play with adults with no problem at all. Had 21 pts in 21games in a league with adults as 14-15 year old, which made him the leading scorer on the team.

Rødovre SIK at eliteprospects.com

kid is also quite stocky already.

If he continues his trajectory (will be with HV71 in U18 super elit this season) he is easily a top 10 pick imo.

I said the same with Ehlers before he came over to the Q, and people did not believe it.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Where do you guys even watch these kids? Not like TSN is showing a ton of junior games.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Thought this was a discussion thread? If you didn't want to hear what others have then just go talk to your scouts.

On topic, 2021 definitely looks like a draft where you really see what you have in your scouts, as there's no real surefire blue chips like you'd get in 2020 or 2022. Might be a year where you'd see more picks traded both at the deadline and during the draft just based on the lack of consensus.

It sure looks weaker than 20 or 22 but I think the draft will start to look better as we get closer to it.

This is just how things work at HF Boards.

Aatu Räty sure looks like the frontrunner right now but alot can happen in 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->