Post-Game Talk: Huberdeau sets new all time points record with 420 in a 8-4 beatdown vs Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
dadonov was really responsible for that goal. very soft on the puck in a vulnerable area, then he backed into the goalies lap - you can't allow a player like tavares to walk in and snap one from the top of the circles with no pressure and a screen.

i'll be scrooge again. watched parts of the game. again, up very early so no pressure to exert themselves 5v5. tons of turnovers. against a team that's got similar identity issues.

instead of locking it down at 7-1, we keep making cutesy, risky plays and eventually let it turn into a garbage-fest.

take the 2 points and move.

The Cats are still not able to handle pressure which translates to no-look passes and other fingers-crossed type decision making. Ofc, some guys like Dadonov can't handle even simple defensive duties and Tavares made him pay on one instance. The only saving grace for the Cats really was that the Leafs hit the nightclubs on the night before and the Cats were able to punish the Leafs like on every other attack. They are still in square one as far as defense is concerned and either Q or Dale has to do something about. One very useful move would ofc trading Yandle away.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
In games like these, it's fun to go back and watch the little things.

Like in the first goal we scored. Acciari came in by surprise and stick lifted and tied up the Leaf Dman when he recognized Brown was crashing giving him an easy one-T.

Achi has been such a pleasant surprise. I didn't think him being a top 6 winger is going to work, but hey, there it f***ing is lol.

Toninato has been fine, but it would be nice to get a legit 3rd C to be with Vatty and Hoff. Like a JG Pageau or similar

Stillman is really rounding into a fine D Man.

Ekblad Matheson is what we hoped we would have had after the Islanders series. Hopefully we get it going forward. And Ekblad has really stepped up. Not just this game, but this season in general.

Matheson Ekblad
Stillman Weegar
Yandle Stralman

We may have something there.

Pysyk is such a good bottom 6 winger its actually f***ing hilarious. Especially from the Twitter warriors complaining why a Dman is playing wing. It's great cause Pysyk has never looked better with us. Ever lmfao. He had like 3 or 4 takeaways on the forecheck that lead to Barky's goal.

If there were any lineup swaps from the current roster, to me its Boyle for Hawryluk and that's it.

Malgin for Toninato as 3C isnt much of anything in my opinion. And again, it's such a disappointment that Borgstrom didnt wrangle in that role.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Caught the game late last night so didn't participate in the live thread. My thoughts:

-Huberdeau continues to be the most impactful offensive player on this team. He is magical with the puck, making plays, setting guys up for tap ins, etc. The puck finds his stick constantly and he makes good decisions with it. I'm loving his game this season.

-Barkov also had a great game. You can tell he was skating hard.

-Am I the only one who likes Pysyk better at forward than D? He's been more than servicable as a fourth liner.

-Driedger was fine despite the 4 goals against.

-Defensively, we had the usual gaffes but I thought Ekblad was the best player for us back there. He did a great job cutting off passing lanes and skating the puck out of harms way.

-Hoffman and Trocheck are both out of their slumps right now. It was GREAT to see Troch finally score one, his success will be huge for this team. We can't rely on just the 1C to produce. Hoffman is a streaky player who is incredibly frustrating when he is slumping, but very fun to watch when his offense is clicking.

This was a HUGE win. They continue to score goals in bunches, especially in the second period, and I'm just amazed at how well the team is performing offensively. Perhaps this is the "Q effect," more goal scoring? I have no idea, but it's a joy to watch.

If they find their consistency in the second half, look out.
Agree with all this.
Especially the Pysyk is a good fourth line forward and Ekblad is by far the best D. Tro breaking out of his slump is huge but let’s hope he can maintain this level of his play. Haven’t seen his shot that good in some time.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Pysyk is such a good bottom 6 winger its actually ****ing hilarious. Especially from the Twitter warriors complaining why a Dman is playing wing. It's great cause Pysyk has never looked better with us. Ever lmfao.
I disagree, Pysyk's first season on the third pair was fantastic, he was one of the best 3rd pairing guy in the league. So much so that they thought he could become a top-4 guy and gave him 2.7M ... obviously, that didn't work out.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I disagree, Pysyk's first season on the third pair was fantastic, he was one of the best 3rd pairing guy in the league. So much so that they thought he could become a top-4 guy and gave him 2.7M ... obviously, that didn't work out.

He was fine. I wouldnt call him fantastic. But compared to the rest of our D that year, yeah you could say that. That year was such a disaster. I just see him impacting the game in more ways as a forward than he did as a D.

He is a really good PK defender too, so it allows him to flex on over during kills.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He was fine. I wouldnt call him fantastic. But compared to the rest of our D that year, yeah you could say that. That year was such a disaster. I just see him impacting the game in more ways as a forward than he did as a D.

He is a really good PK defender too, so it allows him to flex on over during kills.

Pisuck has the most positive impact to the Cats' game when he's scratched. He ain't good but neither he's turrible.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Awesome 2 points to get, to state the obvious. I mean that 4 point swing just was huge. Not just for boosting us, but hurting the Leafs at the same time.
Hoffman is on a streak, and that means lots of goals, good, very good.
Stillman is an excellent find, a real boost to the defense.
Barkov had a good game, we needed that a lot this game.
Stralman is just so smooth back there, I love it.
The second line is playing well. It's good to see Trocheck getting his game back.
Of course congrats to Huby. He's been everything we could ask for when we drafted him.
And Ekblad is clearly the #1 D. And progressing towards franchise D.

Everybody did their job and played their role well. Good team effort.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
We simply were better at the barnburning tonight, we were far from dominant. A truly great team wouldn't have let them get more than a couple tonight, they had nothing going until we gave them chances. We still have a lot of work to do. But definitely a step in the right direction, and a big win in a big game.
Lmao we were dominant in every facet until the game was
Out of reach

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
This should be a sticky at the beginning of every thread.
Yup people think you can just skate every nhl team into the ice for an entire game. Mind boggling how they don’t understand ebs and flows throughout a game and entire season. People actually complaining our d wasn’t great after last game. The game was over at 7-1 anything that happens after is irrelevant

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The amount of games where teams that are up by 5 goals at the 30 minute mark win by 5 is probably under 10%. All teams do it. This game was never close.

I get the sentiment that you want to win 10-1 but that never really happens.

edit: also, check the standings, in a spot for at least 1 night... :)

I'd take 3-1 win over 8-4

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
dadonov was really responsible for that goal. very soft on the puck in a vulnerable area, then he backed into the goalies lap - you can't allow a player like tavares to walk in and snap one from the top of the circles with no pressure and a screen.

i'll be scrooge again. watched parts of the game. again, up very early so no pressure to exert themselves 5v5. tons of turnovers. against a team that's got similar identity issues.

instead of locking it down at 7-1, we keep making cutesy, risky plays and eventually let it turn into a garbage-fest.

take the 2 points and move.
Tavares didn’t get much past the blue line when he snapped the wrister. Dadonov should have stood him up but Driegs is to blame. That’s a stoppable shot; Driegs was too far in his crease.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Capture.png

If they score 1st, you can just enjoy the win lol. Record when winning and trailing after 2 is impressive. Tied, not so much
Wow, so Panthers are invincible if they score first, allow the opponent to outshoot them, lead after two, and play away....

And they really really can’t allow the bad guys to score first when at home...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently M.Rielly fractured his foot upon blocking a shot, 8 weeks rest for him. I could add insult to injury but I'll refrain myself, at least for the time being...

Reactions: PanthersHockey1

WaitingForThatCab

Gas up the Lombo
Mar 11, 2017
Apparently M.Rielly fractured his foot upon blocking a shot, 8 weeks rest for him. I could add insult to injury but I'll refrain myself, at least for the time being...

That really sucks for him, but he was playing like crap, so I don't think this changes things for Toronto much either way.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Tavares didn’t get much past the blue line when he snapped the wrister. Dadonov should have stood him up but Driegs is to blame. That’s a stoppable shot; Driegs was too far in his crease.
Bob's glove was on fire last game. I don't think it's out of Realm to suggest he may have had that shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->