Huberdeau or Strome?

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I've watched Strome more than Huberdeau and I was very impressed everytime I saw Ryan. Good character guy, good work-ethic, responsible, just an overall good character guy. Has some wicked hands and a great shot. But Huberdeau just seems a more complete player. I can't explain why I was so impressed but I was. His playmaking is elite, his skating was good too. I am not completely sure who will be the better player though.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
It was a puck that crossed his body, so he had to settle it. When was the last time you saw a one-timer to a left handed shot come from their right side? Of course he had to settle it - guys in the NHL don't one time those. Good grief.

Agreed, the laws of physics dictate that receiving a pass from that angle to that stick position, would have made an attempted one-timer a low percentage shot. I'm sure you'll find plenty of successfully executed high-percentage one-timers ("elite" or not) by both Huberdeau (@ 2:08 for example) and Strome (1:47) in these videos...

4thliner*

One of the best predictors of a player’s ability and upside is their production at even strength. Even strength points per game ESP/G to me is way more important to PP/G. PP is good too but is to inflate your stats already having solid even strength production around 0.8 or over for elite offensive prospect playing in the CHL.

You compare Ryan Strome and Jonathan Huberdeau to Ryan Nugen-Hopkins and it is a no contest. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has an awful: 0.63 ESP/G compared to Strome 0.97 ESP/G and Huberdeau 0.93 ESP/G

People are quick to make excuses for RNH as a top prospect mainly as if he is playing on a crab team, not one that has been top 10 CHL ranked. Yet at any rate, he is billing up most of his points on the PP while his even strength production is nowhere near elite forward status.

RNH ESP/G was closer to a shutdown dman like Jared Cowen's 0.43 in the dub than it was to Sven Bartschi's 0.93.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
One of the best predictors of a player’s ability and upside is their production at even strength. Even strength points per game ESP/G to me is way more important to PP/G. PP is good too but is to inflate your stats already having solid even strength production around 0.8 or over for elite offensive prospect playing in the CHL.

You compare Ryan Strome and Jonathan Huberdeau to Ryan Nugen-Hopkins and it is a no contest. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has an awful: 0.63 ESP/G compared to Strome 0.97 ESP/G and Huberdeau 0.93 ESP/G

People are quick to make excuses for RNH as a top prospect mainly as if he is playing on a crab team, not one that has been top 10 CHL ranked. Yet at any rate, he is billing up most of his points on the PP while his even strength production is nowhere near elite forward status.

RNH ESP/G was closer to a shutdown dman like Jared Cowen's 0.43 in the dub than it was to Sven Bartschi's 0.93.

Excellent addition to the conversation. It stands to reason - as I've said many times, RNH is not effective in traffic. Without time and space, he cannot produce. That's what makes Strome the better player.

FTR, Couturier is at 1.09 ESP/G

arsmaster*

Anyone determining the better prospect by statistical analysis as the deciding factor is silly.
Excellent addition to the conversation. It stands to reason - as I've said many times, RNH is not effective in traffic. Without time and space, he cannot produce. That's what makes Strome the better player.

FTR, Couturier is at 1.09 ESP/G

Have you watched RNH?

Dont want to derail a thread not about RNH, but the kids is effective in traffic PERIOD.

Is he dynamic and more effective on the PP, yes, so are ALL skill players.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Binnington expected Huberdeau to get that shot off a lot faster than he did. Had he realized that he would have had as much time as he did, he would have gotten into better position and stopped that shot.

It's funny how people overlook glaring flaws when they're swept up in hype.

Yeah, funny how bad Huberdeau made Binnington look there by out-thinking him. Bad form for a goalie to guess what a player is going to do instead of reacting to what actually happens on the ice.

Nice play by Huberdeau to take advantage of Binnington's glaring error.

Sure was a lot of "thinking" and "realizing" going on there for a split second.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

For Huberdeau's part, I believe he is one of the only top forwards that takes a regular shift on the PK. This naturally limits some of his ES time versus a guy like Strome, who from what I understand, never plays PK. He is likely first out after the PK is over, while Huberdeau would be on the bench with hi

Noting Huberdeau's +57 at ES is also something that is hard to ignore in terms of his impact at even strength, not to mention his impact in the playoffs at ES.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
These stats really don't mean anything. I don't know why people keep posting them. Yes, more goals are scored in the OHL...but there's also a lot more offensive talent in the OHL than there is in any of the other leagues. There are so many contributing factors to those numbers that it's pointless to bring them up.

Not necessarily, no.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
This.

Heck, my beer league games are usually about 3-2 and probably average less goals then any of these leagues, does this mean it is a better league?

Nope. Fact remains the OHL is the best for developing overall, and especially when considering offensive players. The WHL may be the best to develop big mean tough defencemen, IE, Weber, Coburn, Phaneuf, Regehr, Hamhuis etc....

but I think the numbers would support in the last 5 or so years that

OHL>WHL>QMJHL

The OHL might have more offensive talent just because they get most of the best Euro's at the import draft, but the WHL is better at developing players because they have more NHL like rules and better coaching and systems.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well, most people will disagree with you.

Anyway, I haven't seen much of Huberdeau to be honest, but I've seen a lot of Strome and I think he's just as good as the top 4 in the draft. So by default I would take him.

I highly doubt that.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I guess I've been spoiled by watching elite scorers in junior settle pucks and get their shots off much quicker than Huberdeau did.

Binnington expected Huberdeau to get that shot off a lot faster than he did. Had he realized that he would have had as much time as he did, he would have gotten into better position and stopped that shot.

It's funny how people overlook glaring flaws when they're swept up in hype.

1. Oh really, and you know this do you because you were inside the goalies head, I think not.

2. I's funny how people want to see something that isn't there to hype up their own guy.

4thliner*

Actually Huberdeau has a ESP/G of 1.03, Strome 0.97, and Couturier 0.91

I think Huberdeau and Strome will be much better players next year (if they do return to junior) than they were this year. Huberdeau still needs to develop physicaly and Strome just barely missed the 2012 draft class (could improve his strength and board play as well).

Couturier I think would be better served playing in the NHL. I don't think he got much better this year playing in junior. He needs to take his act to the AHL (but since he can't) needs to be in the NHL.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
1. Oh really, and you know this do you because you were inside the goalies head, I think not.

Wow, so each goalie has a completely different set of responsibilities and each coach gives each goalie completely different sets of orders?

You've obviously never played goal if you think that you'd have to be in Binnington's head to know that where he was positioned when the shot went by him was where he went when he reacted to the pass. He didn't know Huberdeau was going to fumble the puck forever. If he had, when he shoved off the near post to get into position for the Huberdeau shot, he would have moved out a bit to cut down the angle.

2. I's funny how people want to see something that isn't there to hype up their own guy.

*facepalm*

Who is "my guy" then? It's telling that you think others are here to "hype" guys - it says that you're here to hype someone.

As I've said many times, I don't like or dislike Huberdeau, Strome, RNH, Landeskog, Couturier or anyone else. I'm just here to tell the truth, offer my insight, and crush inane hype.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Wow, so each goalie has a completely different set of responsibilities and each coach gives each goalie completely different sets of orders?

You've obviously never played goal if you think that you'd have to be in Binnington's head to know that where he was positioned when the shot went by him was where he went when he reacted to the pass. He didn't know Huberdeau was going to fumble the puck forever. If he had, when he shoved off the near post to get into position for the Huberdeau shot, he would have moved out a bit to cut down the angle.

*facepalm*

Who is "my guy" then? It's telling that you think others are here to "hype" guys - it says that you're here to hype someone.

As I've said many times, I don't like or dislike Huberdeau, Strome, RNH, Landeskog, Couturier or anyone else. I'm just here to tell the truth, offer my insight, and crush inane hype.

1. LOL, inane hype, you mean the kind that you keep giving your guy weather you want to admit it or not Strome.

4thliner*

For those that would like to fabricate the idea of RNH playing on an Island, rest assured he does not. In fact, the only player you can definitively say plays with high caliber offensiv players is Huberdeua. And it is not like he is riding their coctails, in fact it is the other way around as he is clearly their hardest working as well as their best overall player. Other than that, you are just disrespecting players like Kudrna, Froese, Petrovic, Persson etc. A team full of veteran support.

Couturier and Strome don't get more help than RNH does..

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The only thing it means is that his team scored 57 more goals at even strength when he was on the ice than they gave up. It doesn't say ANYTHING more or less than that.

So you throw out statistics when they don't suit your purpose, but hang your point on them when they do?

Huberdeau was +59 actually. And yeah, I'm sure Huberdeau had nothing to do with the fact the ice seemed titled everytime he was on it in his team's favour. No one on his own team was even within +10 of him. It is not everything, but it does begin to give you a picture of how good he is at ES (that, and his points too), which was part of the discussion I had thought. Factor in his PK role and you get the idea.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
1. LOL, inane hype, you mean the kind that you keep giving your guy weather you want to admit it or not Strome.

Strome??? I think you have me confused with someone else.

The fact that you don't know who I have ranked #1 on my list speaks volumes about your little argument here.

So you throw out statistics when they don't suit your purpose, but hang your point on them when they do?

1. I throw out stats when they don't add anything to the argument. If you think Huberdeau's +/- is a relevant individual stat, then you don't understand what +/- is. And that goes for any player.

Being +105 doesn't say ANYTHING about an individual player's defensive performance, just like being -105 doesn't. +/- is a coincidental stat and says nothing about an individual player.

2. I have never "hung my point" on statistics.

GM17*

"Hey let's take a statistic that is often subject to a high margin of error then completely exaggerate it to the point where that the error would in fact be negligible and try to make the opposing argument"

EXCELLENT STUFF MEN

Th only thing more Pejorative Slured are the people on page 2 saying that the Sea Dogs' wins/pts were inflated because they play in the Q and that the OHL was better "ainec"

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
1. I throw out stats when they don't add anything to the argument. If you think Huberdeau's +/- is a relevant individual stat, then you don't understand what +/- is. And that goes for any player.

Being +105 doesn't say ANYTHING about an individual player's defensive performance, just like being -105 doesn't. +/- is a coincidental stat and says nothing about an individual player.

2. I have never "hung my point" on statistics.

Actually, you have. I made several points about Huberdeau, but the only one you clung to was my reference to his +/-. It was a minor statistical reference. You ignored the rest of my points. It was a strange thing to respond to.

As to it being completely useless - if a guy +57 on a team versus a guy +5 on the same team - I'd disagree, and so would most. It oftens speaks to a line or defensive pairing more than the player, but it can be useful. To suggest it means absolutely "zero" is extreme to the point of being naive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad