Huberdeau or Strome?

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I see alot of love for Ryan Strome, and rightfully so, but I don't see anything about Jonathan Huberdeau. I can see one of them getting picked right after the big 4 but to me, it's still a toss up on wich one will go first.

I think Strome has more of a scoring touch and Huberdeau as the better playmaker. Both players are equally good but if I was a Gm, I'd target Huberdeau over Strome cause he can make the players around him better with his wicked vision and has a pretty solid scoring touch even if he's not on the same level as Strome.

If I had to compare Huberdeau's game with a NHL'er, I'd tag him as a Claude Giroux clone. Not all that big but great vision, a solid scoring touch, wicked hands and isn't afraid to go in the dirty areas to feed his wingers or score a garbage goal. For Strome, I don't know why but I see alot of Steve Yzerman in his game. Someone that can score the clutch goal when needed and is more of a sniping center then a traditionnal playmaking center.

I just hope the Devils will be able to land one or the other. I would prefer to land Huberdeau so he can center Kovalchuk but either player would be a solid addition for our organisation.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
With the Q wrapping up yesterday this was Huberdeau's final stat line as a 17 year old:

68 GP
43 G
62 Asst
105 Pts
59 +/-
202 Shots
88 PIM
41% Faceoff (Didnt take many faceoffs)

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
The only thing about Huberdeau that I question is the league that he is in. Isnt the Q the weaker as far as competition? If he was in the OHL, would he be just as good as he is now? Strome totally reminds me of Tim Connolly/Alex Semin. I would take either one of these guys.

GM17*

is that a typo? +59? I dont watch much Junior hockey but thats amazing.

Saint John is stacked. One of the best CHL teams ever so +/- on this team isn't very indicative of individual defensive play :P

e.g. Eric Gelinas
On Chicoutimi -10 in 35gp
On SJ +25 in 27gp

http://lhjmq.leaguestat.com/en/stat...leagueId=1&lastActive=&singleSeason=&confId=0

Huberdeau is 17 and has 105 pts in 67 games.
Couturier is 18 and has 96 in 58 games.

I'm tempted to say Huberdeau should be a top 5 pick, but I'm a homer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, Huberdeau's team this year was just ridiculous. Only 7 regulation losses all year IIRC.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
So if you switch teams with Courtier with Huberdeau, Courtier would have racked up a ton of points? I know Courtier was really the only guy on his team doing anything from articles that I have read.

GM17*

Yeah, Huberdeau's team this year was just ridiculous. Only 7 regulation losses all year IIRC.

none of which were at home, a new record. ;D

So if you switch teams with Courtier with Huberdeau, Courtier would have racked up a ton of points? I know Courtier was really the only guy on his team doing anything from articles that I have read.

Putting it that way, you're probably right.

Halifaxhab*

Strome will likely be NHL ready sooner...but I can't see how either can be a poor choice. Both seemed destined as 2nd line Centre materiel. Both are very talented young players, and both will be picked by pick #7 (I believe)

arsmaster*

Now that I know about both teams that Strome and Huberdeau play for, you would have to go with Strome.
Niagara isnt a poor team...while they dont have a ton of 1st round talent, they are deep with many signed NHL players.

They arent St John, but they definately have a roster that allows Strome to have nice line mates and talent PP players to work with.

Strome will likely be NHL ready sooner...but I can't see how either can be a poor choice. Both seemed destined as 2nd line Centre materiel. Both are very talented young players, and both will be picked by pick #7 (I believe)

WHy?

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
Now that I know about both teams that Strome and Huberdeau play for, you would have to go with Strome.
For the record, the Sea Dogs appear stacked but the Ice Dogs are no slouches' and play a number of games against some real CHL bottom feeders, in many games I watched, they ran up the score pretty good. The leading goal scorers in the OHL generally play in the Eastern conference, which allows these players to play alot of games against really weak competition, inflating their stats to some degree.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For the record, the Sea Dogs appear stacked but the Ice Dogs are no slouches' and play a number of games against some real CHL bottom feeders, in many games I watched, they ran up the score pretty good. The leading goal scorers in the OHL generally play in the Eastern conference, which allows these players to play alot of games against really weak competition, inflating their stats to some degree.

Niagara and the OHL compared to the Sea Dogs and the Q are leagues apart. The Sea Dogs in the Q might as well be an NHL team relative to their competition.

Niagara IceDogs GP 68 W 45 L 17 OTL 2 SOL 4 PTS 96 PCT 0.706 GF 273 GA 197

Saint John, Sea Dogs GP 68 W 58 L 7 OTL 1 SOL 2 PTS 119 PCT 0.875 GF 324 GA 165

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
Niagara and the OHL compared to the Sea Dogs and the Q are leagues apart. The Sea Dogs in the Q might as well be an NHL team relative to their competition.

Niagara IceDogs GP 68 W 45 L 17 OTL 2 SOL 4 PTS 96 PCT 0.706 GF 273 GA 197

Saint John, Sea Dogs GP 68 W 58 L 7 OTL 1 SOL 2 PTS 119 PCT 0.875 GF 324 GA 165
I can't say much about Huberdeau because I've only seen him twice this year. Could we agree both players stats are inflated to some degree based on competition or lack-thereof? My larger point, as has been repeated many times, statistical comparisons don't give a clear picture in many cases. A starting point for sure, but certainly not the be-all, end-all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I can't say much about Huberdeau because I've only seen him twice this year. Could we agree both players stats are inflated to some degree based on competition or lack-thereof? My larger point, as has been repeated many times, statistical comparisons don't give a clear picture in many cases. A starting point for sure, but certainly not the be-all, end-all.

They are definitely not the be-all end-all.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
couturier played with ondrej palat who had 96 points as well.

Palat is a good player but he wasnt as good as couturier. On another note with the plus minus if you switched couturier not only would he have had a lot more pts, his plus minus would have been through the roof. He was a +55 this season and 2nd on his team was palat with a +37. In huberdeaus case there was 5 other players with a +44 or higher on his team

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Umm how? Huberdeau is a better two way player than Strome. He plays well on the Pk and in all situations. I dont think Strome does that.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Palat is a good player but he wasnt as good as couturier. On another note with the plus minus if you switched couturier not only would he have had a lot more pts, his plus minus would have been through the roof. He was a +55 this season and 2nd on his team was palat with a +37. In huberdeaus case there was 5 other players with a +44 or higher on his team

i was just trying to refute the suggestion (which i have seen in multiple threads) that couturier doesn't play with anyone who is decent.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Couturier plays once every 2nd or 3rd shift, Huberdeau plays once every 4th more often than not.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
I see alot of love for Ryan Strome, and rightfully so, but I don't see anything about Jonathan Huberdeau. I can see one of them getting picked right after the big 4 but to me, it's still a toss up on wich one will go first.

I think Strome has more of a scoring touch and Huberdeau as the better playmaker. Both players are equally good but if I was a Gm, I'd target Huberdeau over Strome cause he can make the players around him better with his wicked vision and has a pretty solid scoring touch even if he's not on the same level as Strome.

If I had to compare Huberdeau's game with a NHL'er, I'd tag him as a Claude Giroux clone. Not all that big but great vision, a solid scoring touch, wicked hands and isn't afraid to go in the dirty areas to feed his wingers or score a garbage goal. For Strome, I don't know why but I see alot of Steve Yzerman in his game. Someone that can score the clutch goal when needed and is more of a sniping center then a traditionnal playmaking center.

I just hope the Devils will be able to land one or the other. I would prefer to land Huberdeau so he can center Kovalchuk but either player would be a solid addition for our organisation.

The perception seems to be that Strome is more of a sniper and Huberdeau more of a playmaker, but Strome actually had more assists and Huberdeau had more goals....
Don't underestimate Strome's playmaking ability or Huberdeau's ability to put the puck in the net.... They both can do both very well....

I see Strome being compared to Steve Yzerman and Tim Connelly.... pretty big difference there...

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Couturier plays once every 2nd or 3rd shift, Huberdeau plays once every 4th more often than not.

how many sea dogs games have you seen? because ive only seen a few but huberdeau was playing like a regular 1st line player, along with 1st pp, even in a 9-1 sea dogs win they still played his line the most

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->