How's Cam Fowler play so far?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Hey, I'm not crucifying him. I'm just not ready to start comparing his play to a future HOFer quite yet. ;)

edit: oops, make that current HOFer. ;)

Then you should be glad I didn't compare his play to Niedermayer. I compared his effort level to Niedermayer, and somehow you took that as a direct comparison. Maybe you should read what I say, not what you think I say, before you hop on the soap box.

There was nothing outlandish about what I said.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I have never thought of Fowler as putting up Niedermayeresque effort but, come to think of it it makes sense. When the game matters most is usually when he tries to take it over.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Then you should be glad I didn't compare his play to Niedermayer. I compared his effort level to Niedermayer, and somehow you took that as a direct comparison. Maybe you should read what I say, not what you think I say, before you hop on the soap box.

There was nothing outlandish about what I said.

Seems to me effort level is even harder to measure than results, but OK, fine. Then as I said before somebody needs to tell him that the regular season effort level needs to be stepped up, not just post season. But you are very defensive about anybody who questions anything about Fowler's play. I still go back to what I first said. If you take Cam with no expectations, he's done well. If you factor in expectations then he's been disappointing so far. You're welcome to disagree but it won't make my opinion any less valid.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I get defensive when you imply I'm being ridiculous and outlandish.

I would have thought you would know that was not my intent. I may not have clearly understood your original point, but my response was certainly not intended to personally irritate you. My apologies if it came across that way. Perhaps this is one of those conversations that would have come off better in person. :dunno:

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
His shot is still soft as a pilllow but his defensive play lately has been impressive, still wish he would atleast try to push people out of in front of the net. Obviously he is one of the best if not the best skater in the league.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I agree with Sojourn's assessment of Fowler and feel that Eddie Shack is incorrect in saying that Cam doesn't resemble Neidemayer at all. There are two things Cam does every bit as good as Scotty, and that is skating and lugging the puck up the ice. As Sojourn says, Cam has been improving defensively the last three plus years. Let's see what he can do this season. I still would pair Cam up with Lindholm, and feel they would be dynamic pairing.

Nunzio

Sep 1, 2013
Zaire
I agree with Sojourn's assessment of Fowler and feel that Eddie Shack is incorrect in saying that Cam doesn't resemble Neidemayer at all. There are two things Cam does every bit as good as Scotty, and that is skating and lugging the puck up the ice. As Sojourn says, Cam has been improving defensively the last three plus years. Let's see what he can do this season. I still would pair Cam up with Lindholm, and feel they would be dynamic pairing.

I think he will be fine. Like you said he has been playing a bit safe for the last few seasons and improved greatly in our own end. It might take some time but I really believe he will unleash himself offensively in the near future.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Neither was Niedermayer, at that age.

You asked a question, and I answered. I don't really understand how that turns into comparing Niedermayer's full career with Fowler to date. Fowler was our best defenseman against Detroit and against Nashville, which are the only two playoff series he's been in so far. It's not like I'm pulling this out of my ass. He also did well in the WJC's, and the WC's as well(not to mention 6 points in 4 games during the Memorial Cup). That sounds like the beginning of a pattern to me.

I think that's probably true, although our defense wasn't great. Also, Cam may only have been the best because of the injury to Beauchemin.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I never said that.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Let's just say if he was on the top pairing on team USA he would still impress with big ice especially

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Anyone know what number he will be using for sure in Sochi? It says 3 but I want to make sure before I get the jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad