How's Cam Fowler play so far?

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city
Title says it all... big fan of the Ducks and being in eastern canada i don't have many chances to watch the team

Noticed he puts top minutes (Most of the time more than beauch)... 1st PP wave duty but the PP hasn't been great is it a matter of time or he's having trouble putting the offense together?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A little dissapointing, but not bad either. He shows flashes of brilliance and then go unnoticed. To be honest, i expect more out of him, especially offensively. He can go monster mode at some points but then will be unnoticable. Good thing is that almost any OT i can remember, he have looked great. Kind of like, step up when it counts - same was in PO series against Nashville. He can look like the best player on the ice.
What i want him is more consitency. Bt he`s only 22. And by the way, he averages 2nd most PK time on our team behind Beauch this season. I was really surprised by that - i didn`t even noticed.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He doesn't have a goal yet, but I've noticed that his sense of when to shoot has improved. I'm sure the points will come, as it is we're only four games into the season.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
He had one pretty good shot towards the net last night that made a loud thwack, but I wasn't sure if it got through to the net or if it went off of another player---our seats were too far away. Maybe there is some hope for his shots from the blue line after all.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Past 2 games he's looked good but the production isn't there. Since BB took over I don't think Fowler has been used correctly on the PP but he's improving defensively every year he's in the league.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Past 2 games he's looked good but the production isn't there. Since BB took over I don't think Fowler has been used correctly on the PP but he's improving defensively every year he's in the league.

That's what matters most. I think we got spoiled a bit by the numbers Cam put up his first year. If I had to choose between the scoring machine rookie who was a defensive liability or the snakebit veteran who's playing solid defense I'd take the latter. Yeah I'd like to see him put it all together but as long as he's skating the way he is and moving the puck up the ice and onto the forward's tape I'm a happy camper. I'm not at all disappointed with him so far.

Jul 22, 2012
Fowler is one of my favorite players, but the problem with him is that he's too tentative. It's almost like hes afraid to show off his offensive game because he's afraid of making mistakes. Just how I see it, anyway.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
fowler is so mis used on the PP its ridiculous. and our whol PP unit as a whole sucks pretty bad.

BB seriously needs some new special teams strategies. and that includes our horrid PK

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, my only beef with Fowler right now is that 1) I'd like to see him assert himself a bit more. Kid is seriously good, but I think he needs to find something to play for(which is why I think he always does well in the playoffs). 2) The coaches need to use him better on the PP.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, my only beef with Fowler right now is that 1) I'd like to see him assert himself a bit more. Kid is seriously good, but I think he needs to find something to play for(which is why I think he always does well in the playoffs). 2) The coaches need to use him better on the PP.

Your not telling me he's developing Ryanitis are you?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No, I think it's more akin to Niedermayer Syndrome, where he saves his best for when he wants.

I'm beginning to think you really are starting to catch Ducksgoitis. :laugh:

To this point in his career, Fowler has been pretty inconsistent. Yes, he did happen to play well against Nashville and has shown flashes of brilliance, but I would argue that sample size does not quite compare to Mr Niedermayer's resume. Nieds may have upped his game in the playoffs, but it was usually already at all start level or close, all during the season. Mr Fowler isn't remotely close to that level of play or consistency in his game.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
No argument there. WTF were they thinking?

I was at that draft; it was hilarious that they took him. The Ducks actually intended to take Etem at 12 but Fowler fell so they picked him. If you watch a video of the Etem selection, you can see that Etem's name is on the back of his draft jersey.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I was at that draft; it was hilarious that they took him. The Ducks actually intended to take Etem at 12 but Fowler fell so they picked him. If you watch a video of the Etem selection, you can see that Etem's name is on the back of his draft jersey.

Yeah, I saw that. Fowler's jesey had no nameplate but the guy they took at 29 did. :laugh:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

To this point in his career, Fowler has been pretty inconsistent. Yes, he did happen to play well against Nashville and has shown flashes of brilliance, but I would argue that sample size does not quite compare to Mr Niedermayer's resume. Nieds may have upped his game in the playoffs, but it was usually already at all start level or close, all during the season. Mr Fowler isn't remotely close to that level of play or consistency in his game.

Neither was Niedermayer, at that age.

You asked a question, and I answered. I don't really understand how that turns into comparing Niedermayer's full career with Fowler to date. Fowler was our best defenseman against Detroit and against Nashville, which are the only two playoff series he's been in so far. It's not like I'm pulling this out of my ass. He also did well in the WJC's, and the WC's as well(not to mention 6 points in 4 games during the Memorial Cup). That sounds like the beginning of a pattern to me.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Defensively, I like Fowler more and more. Man, can he use his speed to back check when he pinches in and whoever is on the blueline blows it!

Offensively, he's been snake bitten for a couple of years now. ha ha ha Yet, he's still active and flying eveywhere.

With Magnus coming up, maybe Fowler doesn't have to be that offensive on the PK and let Lindholm be the QB or put Magnus on the second PP unit and move the Vatman to pair with Fowler.

If Fowler develops into a shutdown defender instead of a scoring machine, then I'll take it. In a couple of years, we're gonna need that defense when Theo comes to the NHL ice.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Neither was Niedermayer, at that age.

You asked a question, and I answered. I don't really understand how that turns into comparing Niedermayer's full career with Fowler to date. Fowler was our best defenseman against Detroit and against Nashville, which are the only two playoff series he's been in so far. It's not like I'm pulling this out of my ass. He also did well in the WJC's, and the WC's as well(not to mention 6 points in 4 games during the Memorial Cup). That sounds like the beginning of a pattern to me.

Cam's pre draft hype was he played similar to Neidermayer. Since he has been here, other than those occasional flashes of brilliance, he has not looked like Neidermayer in any consistent manner. If Cam is saving his best for when he wants, somebody needs to tell him to "want" more during the regular season. When he does that, then maybe he will deserve the comparison to Scotty. That's my only point.

getzforfighting*

Can we also remember that scotty didnt exactly light up the league his first few seasons either. I think Fowler has shown he can do it and it will take some time, but i dont worry at all about the kid, hes a stud

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Not even close. It's a comparison of effort levels which isn't completely off base. Sojourn is pretty spot on in his analysis in this thread and in general in regards to Fowler. He's a great player and he's getting better every season but he needs to be more assertive.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hey, I'm not crucifying him. I'm just not ready to start comparing his play to a future HOFer quite yet. ;)

edit: oops, make that current HOFer. ;)

Last edited:

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Like someone said above... there are expectations everyone has of fowler... and everyone has slightly askew expectations.

Remove them, and you have a young dman, defensivelly responsible, offensively and skating skilled. He mostly makes smart decisions. He was rushed into the league, and has played as a top pairing guy while learning the nhl game.

Who could ask for more?

You can knock his point production and his occassional bad mistake, but if you remove the dreams of him being scotty jr or wish he was flawless, you would be thrilled to have him on your team.

All that said, he gets a few less criticisms because of people wanting to see him succeed.

He is not offensivelly blesseed with shooting smarts. He has all the tools, he just isnt ever a guy making great shooting decisions. I think that its part of his game that will improve, but he is not an offensive juggernaut.

Just comoaring him with vats, and vats being able to wire the puck, make smart passes, and make efforts keeping pucks alive... he isnt at Vatanen's level.

That being said, 6 fowlers would be a better defenive core than 6 vatanens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad