Howe vs. Lindsay current relationship

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You know I never knew about this until now. Lindsay and Howe were tight on and off the ice when they played. Obviously Lindsay was trying to head the players union in the 1950s in which Howe didnt want any part of because to tell you the truth he trusted the likes of Jack Adams and the owners too much.

But that wasnt want caused their relationship to flounder. When the movie "Net Worth" came out in 1995 (I think) it depicted Lindsay as being a pioneer (which he was) and Howe as someone who rejected Lindsay's plans and didnt step forward and help him orchestrate the union.

There was an interview in 2003 on the DVD where Lindsay is talking about how that movie strained their relationship because it made Howe look bad. Lindsay says in the interview "I don't know what Colleen said to him.........." but I guess that it burned a couple bridges for Lindsay.

You know I live and breathe the game and I never knew this until I watched Net Worth the other day. What is Howe's feelings on this? Are they still bitter at each other or is it overblown now? Colleen (Mrs. Howe) has passed on. Has anything changed? They dropped the puck together in the '09 Cup finals but I suppose they can still be civil to each other

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Yeah, I think they're civilized with each other in public, but don't have much of a relationship.

Another issue between them is that before Howe went to Hartford, he really wanted to come back to the Wings with Mark and Marty. Lindsay was the Wings GM at the time and basically told Howe that the kids weren't good enough.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You know I never knew about this until now. Lindsay and Howe were tight on and off the ice when they played. Obviously Lindsay was trying to head the players union in the 1950s in which Howe didnt want any part of because to tell you the truth he trusted the likes of Jack Adams and the owners too much.

But that wasnt want caused their relationship to flounder. When the movie "Net Worth" came out in 1995 (I think) it depicted Lindsay as being a pioneer (which he was) and Howe as someone who rejected Lindsay's plans and didnt step forward and help him orchestrate the union.

There was an interview in 2003 on the DVD where Lindsay is talking about how that movie strained their relationship because it made Howe look bad. Lindsay says in the interview "I don't know what Colleen said to him.........." but I guess that it burned a couple bridges for Lindsay.

You know I live and breathe the game and I never knew this until I watched Net Worth the other day. What is Howe's feelings on this? Are they still bitter at each other or is it overblown now? Colleen (Mrs. Howe) has passed on. Has anything changed? They dropped the puck together in the '09 Cup finals but I suppose they can still be civil to each other
In his book "And...HOWE," which was released in the late 90s, Howe said (paraphrase) that Ted Lindsay is somebody who he played hockey with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad