Confirmed with Link: Howden files for arbitration; arb avoided 2x$1.9m

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

What it means.... guaranteed to be under contract before next season. Other teams cannot submit offer sheets. Also gives team a 2nd buyout window opportunity.

Can continue to negotiate deal until hearing. If not, Arbitrator will set contract within 2 days after hearing.

Hearing dates announced in about a week. Held late July and early August.

Reactions: theslatcher

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Can't say I like it, must be the deal Howden hoped for with Vegas giving up money and term.
Arb cases are either one or two years (selected by the party that did not file, max length is to UFA age).

So term not shortened in result.

Now, if you were thinking they might do a longer term deal, a lot of guys are waiting for the big cap increase next summer (or.later) after covid escrow paid off.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Can't say I like it, must be the deal Howden hoped for with Vegas giving up money and term.

The cap is going to spike up next year so some of this is for that.

Under two is not bad for someone who I think can put up 15 or more goals, 40 points playing with Stephenson and Stone for the whole season.

When you factor in his two way play, and the speed and physicality he brings to that line that really opens up Stone and Stephenson to play their own games more easily, a style needed to be successful in the playoffs, and his work on the PK and ability to slot anywhere on the third and fourth lines, I was sure it wouldn't be under 1.8. He's also in that age range we want to be trending toward.

We can sign Dorofeyev to around 850k now and have 1.6 left for a 23rd roster player. Or use that space with two cheaper call ups in the system to bank it at the beginning of the year (with someone on 7 day IR) and save it for the deadline.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Arb cases are either one or two years (selected by the party that did not file, max length is to UFA age).

So term not shortened in result.

Now, if you were thinking they might do a longer term deal, a lot of guys are waiting for the big cap increase next summer (or.later) after covid escrow paid off.
They never got to arbitration so arbitration stuff doesn't really matter, but yeah I'm talking longer term, especially considering the cap will go up.

The cap is going to spike up next year so some of this is for that.

Under two is not bad for someone who I think can put up 15 or more goals, 40 points playing with Stephenson and Stone for the whole season.

When you factor in his two way play, and the speed and physicality he brings to that line that really opens up Stone and Stephenson to play their own games more easily, a style needed to be successful in the playoffs, and his work on the PK and ability to slot anywhere on the third and fourth lines, I was sure it wouldn't be under 1.8. He's also in that age range we want to be trending toward.

We can sign Dorofeyev to around 850k now and have 1.6 left for a 23rd roster player. Or use that space with two cheaper call ups in the system to bank it at the beginning of the year (with someone on 7 day IR) and save it for the deadline.
Well, plenty of players you're describing have gotten worse (to the player) contracts, some with better history. I guess the playoffs production helped his bargaining position, his PK work is at best average, but he can play on it.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
He looks like he's coming into his own, so, unless he gets hurt (concussion history) I suspect this contract may be a bargain, especially with the big jump in the cap next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad