News Article: Howard out with lower-body injury

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Might have been on that first Florida goal where the player fell and collided with him while he was in a stretch. You could see him wincing after that as he was getting up. Obviously he finished the game so this may be just precautionary. It also gives Mrazek another opportunity. If it's not serious, not entirely bad news.

Reactions: Oddbob

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
okay, we know they're saying it's day to day and we also know that they've woefully undershot predictions in the past for how long a player would be out with an injury. So, assume the sort of worst and that Howard misses not only the Tampa game, but the first five games after the break, that would be 16 days or so, which I don't think is crazy. If Mrazek steps in and plays lights out, how do you then handle the goaltending going forward?

I figure Howard clearly gets to take over the starter's spot when he gets back, but I also have to believe the rope he has to hang himself with is pretty darn short if Mrazek is on his game and the team is winning. Regardless, this is a huge moment for Mrazek to show what he's got.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I could have sworn he got hurt vs. the Rangers. A couple times they were mashing around the crease with bodies everywhere- Howard looked really uncomfortable standing up after one of those exchanges.

Howie is the team's MVP this season. If he's out any amount of time we will sink to 27th faster than you can say tank.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's been really good lately, alright Mrazek - get a couple games in and show them what you've got.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Can't remember what play against Florida, but I remember thinking Howard looks like he just hurt himself, but then he got right up, so I am not surprised to find out he got hurt in the game at some point. Hopefully he doesn't lose his awesome groove he has been in, as in Friday's game, we probably should have lost 5 or 6-2 based on being out shot and out skated all night.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I could have sworn he got hurt vs. the Rangers. A couple times they were mashing around the crease with bodies everywhere- Howard looked really uncomfortable standing up after one of those exchanges.

Howie is the team's MVP this season. If he's out any amount of time we will sink to 27th faster than you can say tank.

Agreed, if Mrazek, Mrazek's it up we will be down with Arizona in 2-3 weeks.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Yup it finally came, like a bad case of ass cancer. The usual Howard injury. Was a little late this year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
so-it-begins.jpg

Reactions: mantha39

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Kind of the thought that popped in my head, when I heard about the injury.
Honestly management should understand the propensity for players on the roster to get injured. The goaltending position most of all, since there is a possibility 50% of the position may be injured for a period of time.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I wonder if this is some secret way Ken Holland decided Wings were winning too much and needed to adjust things...

Serioously though. this is Mrazek's chance to grab his cheese and work for an NHL contract for next season... somewhere.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I wonder if this is some secret way Ken Holland decided Wings were winning too much and needed to adjust things...

Serioously though. this is Mrazek's chance to grab his cheese and work for an NHL contract for next season... somewhere.
Inb4 Red Wings Tonya Harding scandal.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

So you think that management hates mrazek then? Cause they aren’t giving up a younger better or same level goaltender. (Which is what he is if he regains form)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This just in...birds fly, fish swim, Jimmy Howard gets hurt. Film at eleven.

The next predictable item? When the team as a whole stops playing over their heads as much, regresses to the mean for awhile, and Mrazek gets 100% of the blame for ruining the winning streak (whether he plays poorly or not).

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
everyone called this one, although it seems to be traumatic and not the typical "overuse" injury (probably a combination of the two, though). Glad that its day-to-day and we have the bye coming up, because howard has been a work horse the last two years and probably the one guy who elevates this crappy roster out of the complete bottom. Except for his short slump, he's been an amazing goalie

Maybe it is not the worst thing. I love watching the team win, especially on the backs of the younger guys. But it might prolong the Process of the inevitable. Let's see what Mrazek does, his last start must been over a month ago

Reactions: Red Stanley

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
everyone called this one, although it seems to be traumatic and not the typical "overuse" injury (probably a combination of the two, though). Glad that its day-to-day and we have the bye coming up, because howard has been a work horse the last two years and probably the one guy who elevates this crappy roster out of the complete bottom. Except for his short slump, he's been an amazing goalie

Maybe it is not the worst thing. I love watching the team win, especially on the backs of the younger guys. But it might prolong the Process of the inevitable. Let's see what Mrazek does, his last start must been over a month ago

19th apparentaly. And he won and played well. No idea why he hasn’t gotten an extra game for that.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Hopefully they don't rush him back and make it worse like they always seem to do.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm starting to think Jimmy just can't take a compliment.

As soon as there's attention about how well he's playing, he pulls a groin or knee.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
WINGS RECALL COREAU

01/07/2018 9:20 AM
e73df45250fad4cd8aa7e4d79fd21946.500.jpg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Sunday recalled goaltender Jared Coreau from the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Coreau, 26, is 12-9-2 in 25 games with the Griffins this season and shows a 2.77 goals against average and a 0.906 save percentage. The 6-foot-6, 215-pound netminder had his six-game point streak (5-0-1) snapped in last night’s 2-0 loss at Chicago but still posts a 2.10 GAA and a 0.928 save percentage in his last seven appearances.

Now in his fifth season as a professional, Coreau started all 19 games of Grand Rapids’ run to the Calder Cup last spring, recording a 2.84 GAA, a 0.909 save percentage and a 15-4 record. He ranked among the AHL’s leaders during the 2016-17 regular season with a 2.33 GAA (11th) and a 0.917 save percentage (T14th) in addition to a 19-11-3 mark.

Coreau became the 158th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he made his debut with the Red Wings last season. In 14 appearances in Detroit, he compiled a 5-4-3 record, a 3.46 GAA, a 0.887 save percentage and two shutouts. Coreau also logged an eight-game point streak following his first NHL win on Dec. 23, 2016 at Florida.

Since joining the Griffins in the 2013-14 season, Coreau has totaled a 76-47-8 record – the fourth-most wins in franchise history – bolstered by a 2.48 GAA, a 0.917 save percentage and 11 shutouts. In 23 Calder Cup Playoff appearances, Coreau is 17-6 with a 2.74 GAA and a 0.914 save percentage.

The Red Wings host the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight at 7:30.

The Griffins continue their three-game road trip on Monday against the AHL-leading Manitoba Moose at 8 p.m. EST.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad