How You/Your Team Did Thread

sag2k3

Feb 4, 2009
In the league we finished 5 out of 7 teams. It was only 2 points to #3. Not so good season imo. But in "state" we beat the best team with 3-2 but then failed to beat the second best team so we didnt go to the final. This years league is all about rivalry games. I hope we get a top 3 place in a 8 team league.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
CAUTION: WALL OF TEXT

So I'm my first league, it's just an under 18 roller league even though I turned 18 a few weeks ago. There's only 8 teams, it's mostly just neighborhood kids that we play street hockey with. There are a couple teams of high school varsity kids and whatnot, a few of them are actually pretty damn good.

So heading into our game last week, we were the #1 ranked team and undefeated (6-0-1). None of the games were close, they were all blow outs. We won one game 16-1 (where I scored my only goal) and another team actually forfeited their game against us. We were playing the team that we tied the first week, and the only team that has really ever come close to beating us. We were playing without two players, one is some scrub that can't even skate and had to work. The other was our 3rd best player and our best defenseman, a 6'4" offensive defenseman who skates like a beast. So we were already at a disadvantage.

15 minutes before our game starts, we're all sitting in the stands watching the end of the game right before ours. 3 kids haven't showed up yet, which is kind of unusual but we get people showing up late all the time. No big deal. One of our defensemen shows up and tells us that our goalie was in a car accident on his way to the rink. Long story short, some guy flew into his lane and took his whole front end off. He's fine, no one was injured, but we're left with no goalie and the game is starting soon.

We tried to get one of our buddies who's a good friend and plays goalie for another team and just decided to stick around to watch a few games to play, but he really didn't want to. Some other kid from his team that we've played street hockey with before volunteers to play. He's.....a decent goalie, but it's not his natural position and he hasn't played goalie in quite some time.

So there we are, missing 2 skaters and our goalie, playing the only team that we haven't beat yet. The stand-in did an admirable job, but you could tell all of our skaters weren't playing our best. We were lucky to only be down 2-1 at the end of the 1st. But good news, our goalie shows up and he's in good enough shape that he's ready to play. He starts the 2nd cold, and he lets in a goal that he normally shouldn't have but it's understandable given the circumstances. Down 3-1.

We absolutely EXPLODE this period, getting 5 goals in about 7 minutes. In between each and every one we're taunting their goalie who was talking smack to us all before the game. We were definitely getting into his head. After one goal, right after the next face-off the center won the draw, walked up to the blue line and scored on a slapper he had absolutely no business scoring on. The other team managed to get one late. 6-4 us. Nothing happened in the 3rd until they got one with about 45 seconds left. Now they're down by 1 and swarming the net. They had about 10 chances in the last minute, our goalie who was in a car accident half an hour earlier stopped all of them including a legendary glove save as time expired. We rushed the net. We won the game, stayed undefeated, and clinched a first week BYE.

Well anyways, that's my story, if anyone actually bothered to read it then I hope you enjoyed it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just wrapped up summer league. It was my first season at defense, and I'm liking it a lot more than forward.

Team stats - 12-2-1, finished 2nd place reg season, won the championship. 93 goals (1st) 40 goals against (T-2nd).

Personal stats - 14gp 8g 14a 22pts 2pim +14 47 shots. 4th in the league in points, 2nd in the league in assists.

I'm pretty happy overall, adjusted well, feel comfortable, my PPG went up from about 0.5 to 1.5, and my goal scoring is about the same.

Still need to work on my skating, agility, backwards crossovers, and seeing the outlet passes.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Last time I played, it was a terrible site to see. It is ball hockey by the way.

Especially as the teams goalie. I managed to keep us in the game most of the time but the entire team was pretty bad. I was facing over 50 shots most games. I remember a few times where the other team had some five on nones. That is kind of nerve racking as a goalie. We managed to stay out of last somehow, made the second round of the final tournament too. I think I held my save % to around a 0.900.

Hopefully in the spring when the next season starts we will do a bit better

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
So we're going into our third game tonight and we've lost the first two. We won this one 5-1 and I got my first goal! It was a stupid goal, their defenseman went to slap it around behind the net and around the boards, and hit the side of their net instead. No one knew where it was, including the goalie, so I grabbed it and tucked it in. It took the ref like four whole seconds to realize what the hell happened and blow the whistle lol. Whatever though, my quota for the year has been made :yo::yo::yo::yo:

K-PAX*

Managed a few goals and a few dangles but eh I need to pick my head up more. My passes are pretty crap if I have to get it over a stick or two.

Best thing about tonight is that I'm instinctually using the toedrag in crowded areas and other useful situations, instead of just having it as a gimmicky move coming down the right side.

I never said I was good but I've gotten better every year I've played.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
My last game we were facing a stacked team. I was placed on a 3rd line with some players who think there good but are pretty annoying and refuse to pass yet are TERRIBLE defensively and offensively. Well my goalies do suck but I only play goalie for rep. We were down 3-0 3 minutes in. My line goes on, i rush the faceoff dot take the puck skate by the defenders and go top shelf goal. Right after we were pressing in there zone a d-men gets caught pinching I skate as hard as I can back stick lift make a massive pass that went over two guys sticks onto my guys and he juuust got it in, like it was literally a CM over the line. Next shift I steal the puck do a leg kick, fake to forehand and go backhand in. This point we feel good. Well I had a aching pain in wrist area. it was a massive cut and a like purplish coloured bruise, so i go to the locker room and get some bandages, Tylanol and I come back for the 2nd well it's 7-3.... I ask what happened apparently our goalie let in 2 softies and our defense acted like fowards. I go on. I'm in the corner put the puck through my legs which i do a lot, I have open ice go around the net and pass infront for a goal 7-4. Next play I rush in and tried for a rebound hit off the goalies pad and our guy buried it, 7-5. Off and well my bandage came off so i had to go back and wrap it. Come back it's 10-8 somehow. We didn't know what happened. Well Start of the 3rd nothing happens. With 4 minutes left I go on and get finally a nice pass and i do a one timer slapshot top corner (my only good slapshot :D) right after in a scramble I found the puck and chipped it over him to a player and we tied it. Now my team is pretty bad but we started doing well all of a sudden. Well my next shift was with 32.4 seconds left goalie pulled in their end it was 11-10 btw. We were giving the goalie like a blizzard of shots. With 1 second left in a scramble find the puck and just basically clear the way and knock it in with like .7 seconds left and we tied it. But the next 2 games we lost 7-3 and 5-2 respectively.

I would play goalie but really don't wanna get injured for rep.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
My team and I are 4 games into our 10 game session. 3-1 thus far.

I am doing well myself. I'm more of a playmaker. I've been playing a mix of offense and defense. Swapping when needed.

I've got two goals, both coming in my last two games, but I've also notched six assists in those games. I've two game-winning-points, both assists.

We play again, the number one team in the league, 4-0, this sunday. We are looking to draw even with them with a win.

AyVee

Jan 28, 2009
Springs
My last game we were facing a stacked team. I was placed on a 3rd line with some players who think there good but are pretty annoying and refuse to pass yet are TERRIBLE defensively and offensively. Well my goalies do suck but I only play goalie for rep. We were down 3-0 3 minutes in. My line goes on, i rush the faceoff dot take the puck skate by the defenders and go top shelf goal. Right after we were pressing in there zone a d-men gets caught pinching I skate as hard as I can back stick lift make a massive pass that went over two guys sticks onto my guys and he juuust got it in, like it was literally a CM over the line. Next shift I steal the puck do a leg kick, fake to forehand and go backhand in. This point we feel good. Well I had a aching pain in wrist area. it was a massive cut and a like purplish coloured bruise, so i go to the locker room and get some bandages, Tylanol and I come back for the 2nd well it's 7-3.... I ask what happened apparently our goalie let in 2 softies and our defense acted like fowards. I go on. I'm in the corner put the puck through my legs which i do a lot, I have open ice go around the net and pass infront for a goal 7-4. Next play I rush in and tried for a rebound hit off the goalies pad and our guy buried it, 7-5. Off and well my bandage came off so i had to go back and wrap it. Come back it's 10-8 somehow. We didn't know what happened. Well Start of the 3rd nothing happens. With 4 minutes left I go on and get finally a nice pass and i do a one timer slapshot top corner (my only good slapshot :D) right after in a scramble I found the puck and chipped it over him to a player and we tied it. Now my team is pretty bad but we started doing well all of a sudden. Well my next shift was with 32.4 seconds left goalie pulled in their end it was 11-10 btw. We were giving the goalie like a blizzard of shots. With 1 second left in a scramble find the puck and just basically clear the way and knock it in with like .7 seconds left and we tied it. But the next 2 games we lost 7-3 and 5-2 respectively.

That's a great story but I wish you could fix it up a bit so it doesn't look like a total mess ;)

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver

Are you still on the third line?

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
for my first ever experience in an organized ice hockey league, it went well. 3 days before our first game, i didnt know how to even stop, so i thought it would turn out worse than it really did. first game---got dressed, went to the bench, put my sticks against the glass and knocked everyone elses down. embarrassing. warmups didnt start out so hot either. i went to take my first slap shot and fell right on my @$$. i thought it was going to be a looong season. i had been playing roller hockey for about 11 years or so, but skating on ice was such a huge transition for me. the first game i had a goal and 2 assists. our second game was 2 goals and 1 assist. i went scoreless for most of the rest of the season (20 game season) with the occasional assist here and there. my excuse was that i was focusing on defense :sarcasm: we found some chemistry, made the playoffs and lost in the semis. that last game was on a monday. this summer league started thursday. needless to say, i found my comfort zone through the first season, and now im fine. the first game of this season i had 3 goals and 2 assists, but we still lost 10-9. gave up the winner with :26 left. heartbreaker. i missed the last 3 games cos i was out of town, but we have still been winning. next game is saturday.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
I myself played Midget on a team with solid\high end players along with about 4 players who have no business playing hockey. We started the season well, winning a game with only 6 players (myself playing 40+ minutes) and an early tournament.

After that though we became very average due mainly to the fact that I had a terrible coach who had no idea how to develop players (horrible repeated drills), couldn't encourage players, and was kicked out of games a number of times for swearing at the refs. We ended the year losing 4 straight games and not even having a year end party. Not a bad year though because we had a great bunch of guys to play with.

He did end up winning coach of the year which was quite surprising.

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
Your Spring 2010 Burbank Roller Hockey Champions...

First game of the season we lost 8-1 and scored that lone goal on a last minute breakaway.

Nine games later we were 2-8, barely making the playoffs (in a 5 team league). After some early season blowouts, we had lost almost every game by close margins and by giving up leads late in the game. The most heartbreaking, a 8-7 loss by giving up the GWG with 11 seconds left. Nonetheless, we made the playoffs and to win the championship we potentially had to play a doubleheader.

In the first game we played the #1 seed. We struck first and got an early lead. With strong D clogging up the middle we were able to maintain our 3-0 lead for most of the game. We gave up a goal midway through the 2nd half but we kept our composure and won the game.

An hour later we played the 2nd best team in the league...the same team that beat us with 11 seconds left. We played like crap, but we played hard and strong...never giving up. We went up 6-4 but made a bunch of defensive errors to let them tie it up. The game went to a 5 minute OT. We crashed the net and in Patrick Kane confusion, the puck went into the net and after a moment of WTF?!?! WE WON THE GAME!

Burnt Toast are the champions!
35777_1516689357825_1252227385_31410124_5628441_n.jpg

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
http://www.woaa.on.ca/minor_hockey/standings.php?group=Local&division=Midget

We are Lucknow LL2. These standings include playoffs. We started off really bad going 1-10 and then finished the season 10-2. We slid into the final spot of the top half of the playoffs (where we truly compete for the title) In the final half of the season we were the only team to give BCH its 2 losses. We ended up playing 5 other teams in the 1st round (we play 5 other teams twice, and whoever comes out with the best record goes onto the championship round, vs another pool who does the same thing) We then beat BCH both times in the playoffs (giving them 4 of 5 losses in the season) and all we had to do was beat the worst team in our pool (which was no longer us because we were doing great) Then in our final game against the worst team, we only had 9 players show up and one got kicked out 5 minutes into the games, so a whole game with 8 players. I ended up playing almost half the game. :p: We ended up losing, and BCH ended up moving on because they ended up beating a different team. We won 8 of 10 games, but BCK ended up winning 8 of 10, and tied 1. So they beat us. After that crazy cinderlla-ish season we fell short thanks to people not showing up.

And the salt on the wounds was the year before I was in Bantam, and we made the finales and lost our series 2-1. Next year better be my year :rant:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I never noticed this thread here, it's a good read though! While these haven't been recent games, I will quickly relive 3 of my favorite moments of playing ice hockey. First, I just want to say that I'm kind of an average skater in this league. I personally always consider myself as one of the weak links but people across the league always tell me I'm better than I give myself credit for. Not sure if I'm just too hard on myself or if they're trying to be nice. :laugh: That being said, I'll go over a couple of recent games/moments.

The first was our team just had no luck all season. I wouldn't say we were a bad team but we ended the regular season 1-11. The one win was with a different goalie too so it didn't boost our confidence going into the playoffs. It's only a 4 team league so everyone makes it to the playoffs. First round of the playoffs we came out strong. It went back and forth all game but we skated our ***** off and ended up winning 7-5, after burying an empty netter. Championship game comes around and we turn on the jets out of nowhere. We went from never being able to win to a powerhouse. We ended up winning the championship game 9-2 after being all over them. Just goes to show that where you finish in the regular season doesn't matter! ;)

Now away from the team and more focused around how well I played myself. :P We were having a pretty tough game. They got some lucky bounces for goals and their goalie was standing on their head. We were down 4-1 to start the third period. A few minutes into the third, one of our guys cleared it and another player was going in on a breakaway. The defender ended up tripping him in the neutral zone and the ref's arm went up but the whistle never blew. For some reason in beer leagues, people never seem to play to the whistle. I kept skating hard and blew by the person that tripped our player and sent myself in on a breakaway, took a little fake snap shot and went backhand, through the goalies legs when he was moving side to side. We we're down 4-2 and our team got that extra wind after the goal. We ended up scoring another goal a few minutes later and we're up 4-3 with 30 seconds left, face off in their zone. Face off was on the left circle (left from our team's perspective) and I was RW so I was closest to the goalie. Once the ref dropped the puck, I saw their team won it to the corner. I flew in as hard as I could and the defender was trying to beat me to it. He tried to just clear the puck around the boards but I got a piece of it and stopped it. Quickly turned behind the net and faked a pass before going behind it. Goalie kind of hesitated and went down a little so I kept going around the net. Passed it to someone in the slot through a defender's legs and he put it through the goalie's legs while he was moving post to post, tying it up 4-4. It ended up going to a shootout (we don't do OT in regular season in this league) and we ended up losing (I didn't shoot) but we did have a feeling of pride and accomplishment for being able to battle back. Everyone gave me basically full credit for getting our team the point for bringing us to the Shootout which felt good because I'm never the hero of the game.

In my only other moment being the hero, it was a late game. There was a championship game for some little kid league so we started really late. I guess I benefitted since everybody else was really tired. I usually go to bed late myself so being up that late wasn't new and I felt fine on the ice. On my second shift, I got on the ice when our defender had the puck behind our net. I was already behind the defense so I skated towards the middle and was hanging at their blue line. The defender did a quick move to clear some space and made a nice saucer pass to send me in on a breakaway. I did my fake wrist shot to get the goalie down, fake to the left and go backhand to the right to score a goal. That put us up 1-0. Later on in the first. I was covering for a defenseman, which always makes me nervous because this league is fast and I'm not a good enough skater to skate backwards to play defense at the same time. I was on the left point and the right defenseman took a slapshot and missed the net, wrapped along the boards to me. I was racing to keep it in and just barely kept it in the zone. I had plenty of time and wound up to take a slapshot. Then I quickly thought, "What the hell am I doing? My slapshot is awful!" :laugh: I didn't want to shoot because my wrist shot has more power than my slapper. I looked up and saw a forward open at the top of the right face off circle. I just basically took a slap-pass right to him and he had a wide open net and buried it. Period ended 2-0 and I had a goal and an assist. Felt pretty good. Second period was a lot of back and forth hockey but no scoring came of it. Third period came and they scored a goal half way through the period. With about five minutes to go, we were still putting on a lot of pressure because we didn't want to stay in our zone with a one goal lead late in the game. They ended up getting a 2 on 1 break and I was the next closest player. I was skating my ass off trying to back check, even though I knew I wasn't close enough to really do anything. The defender went to attack the player with the puck and they passed it to the wide open man but I was still flying. I dove and just barely got a piece of it to break the pass up. Shoveled the puck into the corner to be safe and broke up what ended up being their only really good scorig opportunity in the last few minutes of the game. The final ended up being 2-1. I felt like such a hero that game having scored or set up both our goals and save what would have likely been the tying goal.

Now it's just my typical skate hard and win loose battles, play well, but just hardly ever have anything to show for it. :P

edit - Holy crap, didn't realized I typed that much! Hope somebody who actually took the time to read through that enjoyed it.

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007
Congrats on your new kid, fartknocker!

We could've used you (an another line) out there tonight. We got outshot 42-9 and lost 9-1.

Sad thing is, we'll probably play them tomorrow night for first round of the playoffs.

Did I say we? I meant everyone else on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->