How would you react to Bruins who choose not to return to play?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Outsider here lurking in...

What if said player/s decide to sit out for what's left of the season/playoffs - can they return after the season/playoffs begin, and would they be eligible to have their name on the Cup if they do not return to finish the season/playoffs?

Good question. Without a special petition, eligibility is you either play* half (35 for Bruins) of the regular season games with your team, or you play* 1 game in the SCF. Right now, for the current Bruins roster per Hockey Reference, that puts Clifton (31), Kuhlman (25), Moore (24), Lauzon (19), Nick Ritchie (7), Blidh (7), and Kase (6) in danger. I think their name goes on even if one of them sits out due to any type of injury, and I would imagine "I can't play because of COVID" would fall under that.

*goalies can dress as backup and it counts

I'm not sure how I'd feel about each of those players if they didn't qualify by playing in the SCF. Clifton was injured and literally just came back, so I think he gets a petition if somehow he gets reinjured in the playoffs. Not sure how I'd feel if he couldn't play at all....31 is pretty damn close to 35, and if the rest of the season had played out, he might have hit 41, and he's put in some time, although not stellar numbers. I think he passes. The others are mostly tweeners at this point except for Moore, who's a 7D, and Ritchie/Kase, who are new pickups.

But in answer to the question, I think you handle it just like an injury. Petitions do happen - we got Savard on the cup despite not playing "enough" games, IIRC.

As far as not coming back at the start of the tourney - I don't know how that would work. I think they'd have to spend 2 weeks in the "playoff bubble" quarantined before being allowed to even practice. So, I pretty much think you have to start the playoffs in the bubble for it to really work. It might be quite a drag on the Black Aces, especially since their names won't be eligible to be on the Cup, but they would have to quarantine with the team.

Reactions: FMichael

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Outsider here lurking in...

What if said player/s decide to sit out for what's left of the season/playoffs - can they return after the season/playoffs begin, and would they be eligible to have their name on the Cup if they do not return to finish the season/playoffs?
the NBA proposal that's out there states once a player is replaced whether it's due to the pandemic or injury, they cannot return.... same would likely be a moot point if the season is not resumed.... I suspect that's the same parameters the NHL and NHLPA would have.... otherwise, it's at the team's discretion as to their name on the Cup.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
You gotta respect their decision to sit out. As much as I crave hockey back and for the Bruins to have a shot at the Cup, as they've would've contended this year, I have my doubts this playoff thing actually happens.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I may be in the minority here... but the NHL / sports trying to resume while we are still having mass outbreaks, is awfully irresponsible. Sports are entertainment. That's all.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Ladyfan

barstool

Nov 22, 2014
Hypothetical a vaccine is developed, NHL mandates it's mandatory no vax, no play
Chara says I refuse the Vax do you support him?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Interesting going back and reading this thread and then people’s reaction after Tuukka announced his decision to leave......
And if Rask opted out before putting the team through chaos it would have been fine, that's what the opt out period was for.

Reactions: BamZoni

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Rifle dropper. Suck it up buttercup! You’re not endangering anyone. At most, it’s 2 months

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Rifle dropper. Suck it up buttercup! You’re not endangering anyone. At most, it’s 2 months

in regard to any player, unless you are a family member, you havent a clue as to who may or may not be endangered or health compromised. Its ok to be pissed about compromised entertainment. But declare who is or isnt at risk is way out there .

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Rask's in a no-win situation. Let's say for argument's sake that he wasn't quite sure if he'd make it the whole 3 months (including camp in Boston). He has two options - to give it a try, or to just stay at home and not even try to come back and join the return to play activities. He's either bashed for not trying, or for quitting after trying.

We all can't know 100% how we react to novel situations, and this is about as novel as it gets. There's nothing wrong with looking at a situation, realizing it's not working out the way you thought it would, and then changing direction. I imagine team leadership knew a little bit that he wasn't quite 100% all-in.

Did he hurt the team - not really. He went 1-1 and washed out a couple of our first change games. And when he realized it wasn't working, he got out of the way. It's not like he took the space of a different fourth goalie who'd wind up being important to the team by going into the bubble in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->