How would you react to Bruins who choose not to return to play?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If they had some kind of pre-existing condition that rendered them vulnerable, like a Rich Peverley situation, I'd accept it for their health. I like players who give everything to win (i.e. Bergeron playing through a punctured lung), but don't expect them to literally die for it.

But if we lost the cup because a Pastrnak or Debrusk for example is scared of a flu, I would never, ever forgive them. You're making $6 million a year for this, you can socially distance yourself from your grandparents for another 6 weeks.

1 it isnt the flu. So let it go already.

2 - how do you know if any of them has a health compromised family member or loved one?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'd be completely fine with it. Every player has the right to decide what's best for them and their families in these circumstances.

That said, if the tournament is deemed safe to go ahead I'm convinced every single Bruin will play unless they get hung up with border or health issues - these guys are competitive pro athletes and there's a Stanley Cup on the line, one of the toughest trophies in sport to win. If there's a chance to nab one they'll go for it.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Are you paying me millions to eat M&Ms or is the alternate I just buy a snickers for a dollar?

If I was, would you dive right in? I can start taking up a collection if so...:naughty:

You get the point of the example. Regardless of money, it's about whether a player is comfortable or not risking it. If so, great. Play on. If not, I understand it and can't get upset. But I assume your view is different? So please do tell....

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Players have come out and said they wouldn't return before the $$$ issues arose. Then the owners wanted to do a prorated salary by number of games only by the time it got to the players, it was a prorated salary and a giant reduction thrown on top. And you know why the players are fighting it?

BECAUSE THE RISK IS TOO LARGE TO TAKE FOR WAY LESS MONEY

Yet the players proposed a schedule well over 100 games and owners 50 some . Now they are getting close . The owners made a deal thinking they would have fans in september than when they knew they probably wouldn't they wanted out of that deal.

Bottom line of course risk plays a role in this but it is basically all about money and they don't have a cap tied to revenue to worry about .

I see both sides to a degree .

Reactions: McGarnagle

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
I really wouldn't hold it against anyone who refused to report from the bull crew on up to senior staff. As someone who goes to work every day in a hospital, I think it is nuts to start up this or any other league right now until we are confident that there is a vaccine, sufficient testing and that we are truly past the significant risk, based on legitimate science. The work that goes into keeping the environment safe to care for patients and for the staff who do so is mind-numbing. There is likely no way that any team facility will be kept that clean or any type of congregate living that they may impose on a team will be effective against the virus. Hockey is not exactly a game played with proper social distancing unless of course, you play for the Habs.

Reactions: Gee Wally

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The players are free to choose to do whatever they feel is best for them and their families. Doesn't matter to me one way or another what decisions they make in regards to their personal lives, which includes choosing to not go to work if they feel it compromises their safety or the safety of their families.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Trying to think of players on the team that would sit out. Marchand and Bergeron are back out there. Chara is out there marching in protests, i think he's in. I wouldn't hold it against anyone who sits out but just thinking of who has more reasoning.

Krug has a young child at home and is a UFA after the season. That's a lot of risk for him.
Tuukka just had another daughter recently.
Anyone else have a kid recently? Krejci? I'm not sure.

Reactions: jonu

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I would tell them to do what’s best for their family and if not returning this season is what’s best then that’s what’s best

Reactions: Ladyfan

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Par Lindholm had a kid a few weeks ago. Putting two and two together, I imagine the risk is actually very much higher for a pregnant woman - I know high blood pressure is a big risk factor for bad outcomes, and pregnancy often comes with an increase in blood pressure. And often times, we don't know about the pregnancy of wives until very late into the pregnancy or even after the birth - and very often it's only if you really snoop hard on the internet. Hell, I dragged Haggs online one time because he tweeted out about 4-5 years ago that Bergeron was out and that many members of the team had the flu - it was fairly well-known even then that his wife was expecting.

I know there are people with diabetes, and probably people with asthma, in the NHL - and if not the players, certainly the families. After the tourney, the player is putting everyone around him at some increase risk of COVID for the next two weeks - more than the average person who's just maybe getting non-contact takeout and going grocery shopping with a mask every other week.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yet the players proposed a schedule well over 100 games and owners 50 some . Now they are getting close . The owners made a deal thinking they would have fans in september than when they knew they probably wouldn't they wanted out of that deal.

Bottom line of course risk plays a role in this but it is basically all about money and they don't have a cap tied to revenue to worry about .

I see both sides to a degree .

Yes, because the discussion was always around a prorated pay rate based on the number of games. The players wanted more games to get more of their money, to make the risk of getting infected more worthwhile. If you're scheduled to make 10 mill for a 162 game season, you're making just under $62k per game. For a 50 game schedule, you're now making a little over $3 mill, or 7 mill less than you would have normally when you don't have to risk being exposed to a virus that is sweeping the globe. So yeah, I get why the players want more games because that makes the money greater, and makes risking it more worthwhile.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
With what they are paid and the generous lifestyle it would be tough as a fan but realistically any player with a pre-existing condition, concerned for family, or looking for a new contract perhaps should be thinking it over.

It's a random tournament, not a true Stanley Cup.... perhaps take the initial series off and see how it is around the league before deciding for the actual tournament.

Unfairly or not the media/fans will also not focus on Lindholm types vs Bergeron in this type of situation. I'd be surprised if many star players back out because of that expectation and pressure.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I think most will play, some may not because of family health issues, health issues of their own or travel restrictions. That's fine.

I don't think any of us can wait for a vaccine- it could be years before one that truly works is developed. We're going to have to suck it up like my mom's generation did (she grew up with polio, German measles, whooping cough etc & no vaccines for any of them)- be aware of the danger, do the best we can to protect the most vulnerable and get on with our lives.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Par Lindholm had a kid a few weeks ago. Putting two and two together, I imagine the risk is actually very much higher for a pregnant woman - I know high blood pressure is a big risk factor for bad outcomes, and pregnancy often comes with an increase in blood pressure. And often times, we don't know about the pregnancy of wives until very late into the pregnancy or even after the birth - and very often it's only if you really snoop hard on the internet. Hell, I dragged Haggs online one time because he tweeted out about 4-5 years ago that Bergeron was out and that many members of the team had the flu - it was fairly well-known even then that his wife was expecting.

I know there are people with diabetes, and probably people with asthma, in the NHL - and if not the players, certainly the families. After the tourney, the player is putting everyone around him at some increase risk of COVID for the next two weeks - more than the average person who's just maybe getting non-contact takeout and going grocery shopping with a mask every other week.

Actually so far there is no evidence that pregnant women and unborn or new-born infants are at any greater risk from COVID-19 than the general population, as long as they don't have any other existing health conditions. I have a friend who is about 18 weeks pregnant and her doctor has advised her to take reasonable normal precautions but not to be particularly concerned about any heightened Covid-risk, plus see the link below.

Of course Par's wife or anyone else may still wish to be cautious at a time when the body has gone through increased stress, which is perfectly understandable, but on a purely objective level it need not necessarily be an impediment to Par playing.

{{meta.og.title}}

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He must have eaten a bowl of M&Ms

It just shows me how virulent and easily transmitted this virus really is, and how large of an impact it would have if one guy gets it and plays, exposing countless other players.

It would be a real kick in the beanbag to go on a deep cup run only to have half your team out for the finals because they were exposed and need to self quarantine for 2weeks. I mean, who wants to see something like that happen? It's one thing if you line up across from another team and give it your best but come up short. It would be an entirely different thing to have your best players out because they got exposed and or sick.

Reactions: Jaguar God

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It just shows me how virulent and easily transmitted this virus really is, and how large of an impact it would have if one guy gets it and plays, exposing countless other players.

It would be a real kick in the beanbag to go on a deep cup run only to have half your team out for the finals because they were exposed and need to self quarantine for 2weeks. I mean, who wants to see something like that happen? It's one thing if you line up across from another team and give it your best but come up short. It would be an entirely different thing to have your best players out because they got exposed and or sick.

This is exactly what I want to know, but the league is fairly mum. What happens if a team has so many players out that it's either not feasible, or literally impossible, for them to fill a bench? There are only so many Black Aces in a deck of cards. Does the opposing team get a pass? By definition, that opposing team will have been exposed. Is it right to ask the team that they will play in the NEXT round to risk infection? Or if one team is eliminated in that fashion, does the whole tourney just get shut down ala 1919?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad