How would you rate the performance of the team's players this year?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Copy and paste from my reddit thread a couple weeks back, but the discussion here is so dead so I thought I could add something to it.

In 3 categories: Exceeding expectations, meeting expectations, disappointing. Now I'm bored and have no work to do right now, so I'm going to do a convoluted write-up on my thoughts on the team this year lol. Now lets start with the positives.

Exceeding - Unfortunately there really weren't a lot of players who outperformed expectations on the team, but there were a few bright spots that surprised this year nonetheless.

Andrew Mangiapane: Honestly, I didn't think he had it in him to be anything more than an ok 3rd liner. I thought there were times he was playing far too high up the lineup, but his play down the stretch was enohg to convince me he is going to be a very good 2nd liner (and maybe more?) in the NHL. Likely would've hit 20 goals, and potentially 40 points, if the season had been played out. Has a very nice future here, and he is going to get a well deserved raise this summer.
Rasmus Andersson: Stepping up big time and earning a nice fat payday, he definitely proved he was a bonafide top 4 dman this year. Lots of potential for him to still be a good PP QB imo, and he took a lot of steps in just becoming a more complete dman. Definitely see 40+ pt upside in his future, and he is going to be a staple in our top 4 for years to come. Also he's Swedish and sexy AF.
Cam Talbot: Guy was boom or bust to me, and he definitely boomed. Really challenged Rittich for the net when he needed to and put up some solid numbers in a lot of hopeless situations. Definitely wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 2.75x2 contract or whatever and giving him 35 starts in the future.

Meeting Expectations:

Elias Lindholm: One of the concerns I had coming into the year was his goal scoring was going to absolutely evaporate; with just one goal in the final 2 months of 2018-19, there was a lot to prove he could largely replicate the season he had. He definitely proved the critics wrong putting up a strong 29 goal campaign (pacing for about 35 in a full season) and being our leading goal scorer. Overall, his point totals were in line with that I expected, and he proved he is a bonafide top line player. I do have concerns with his high shooting % this year, so hopefully he can learn to use his shot more often going forward.
Matthew Tkachuk: Only player on the team pacing for over 70 pts, and he missed training camp as well. I was tempted to say he exceeded expectations this year, but his play REALLY seasawed at times. Overall, I'll say he did what was expected given his contract and the situation that had presented itself. He proved he could be a leader, score, fight, and pretty much be the closest thing to Jarome Iginla this city will probably see for a long time. Guy has absolute lead boots and still finds a way to put up points. Hopefully he can take just a bit of an extra step next year and turn into a premier forward in the league, but he's a solid player as is.
Mikael Backlund: Considering just how awful his first half was, him meeting expectations in the end is a testament to his play after the ASG. Guy literally turned into Patrice Bergeron and f***ing beasted down the stretch. Overall, 50 pts and solid 2-way play was what I expected, but his season was really polarized in the end. Either way, I'll eat all crow for saying he was a cap dump in January.
Derek Ryan: Came in and just produced another solid year, he's pretty much the perfect #3/#4C for a team. Guy didn't necessarily get the best talent on the team, yet he found a way to produce in the end. He did tail off down the stretch, but overall you can't really expect anything more from him. Definitely will be interesting if the Flames decide to extend him next season.
Milan Lucic: Hate his contract, but expecting absolutely nothing he did alright overall. He did prove some use on the PP, and the analytics looked decent with him. He is most certainly compliance buyout fodder if the cap does indeed go down, but if he can maintain his level of play it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have him.
Toby Reider: Meh? He provides some speed and is good on the PK. For a PTO, he wasn't a bad get. Guy has no hands though, and he isn't a regular NHLer at this point imo. Wouldn't mind keeping him next year at league min as a 13rd fwd.
Zack Rinaldo: Punches guys and scored a few goals. Fine to fight for the 13rd fwd spot next year as well.
TJ Brodie: Now I'm sure I'll get some looks for him only "meeting expectations", but I never really bought into the narrative he was shit or whatever. Brodie had a down year offensively, but he proved his importance to the team down the stretch and was dearly missed when injured. Great puck mover and so important to our transition play (which was garbage and needs to be fixed by whoever is our coach next year). It's looking like his time in Calgary is unfortunately up, but he had a great run here. Wish him all the best wherever he goes.
Dillon Dube: Had a hot start before slowing dramatically. See some nice middle six upside going forward, but he definitely hit a rookie wall early on.

Disappointing:

Johnny Gaudreau: Like Backs, a tail of two seasons. He was a lot like vintage Johnny post-ASG, but he was something awful before. Really lacked a lot of his dynamic offensive play for much of the year. Besides the godawful cornershots he took for so long, the book seemed to be out on him for a long time (hound him and eventually he'll make a poor pass or turn the puck over). Down years happen for star players though, and I think he'll be better next season.
Sean Monahan: This season really opened my eyes to Monahan, and not in any good ways. As a #1C, he REALLY has a ton of weaknesses in his game. He cannot drive play whatsoever (poor skating means he cannot be relied on as a puck carrier that can distribute the puck), he's not good defensively, and he didn't provide nearly enough offense despite Backs or Lindy taking hard matchups from him (56 pt pace from the #1 scoring centre is really awful in 2019-20). It's great he has those 7 straight 20 goal seasons, but I honestly question why he hasn't been the Giroux treatment and moved to the wing in favour of Lindy for at least a certain period of time.
Sam Bennett: Guy is a 4th line plug in Calgary and needs a change of scenery badly. The cries for better linemates aren't changing the fact that he only put up 12 points this season. For 2.5 million a year, that is pretty atrocious even if you factor in the grit he provides. The fact Milan Lucic passed him on the depth chart cannot help matters at this time. While I'm sure management is still hoping he figures it out, for the sake of his career I think it's time for the fresh start to commence for him. Selfishness of being concerned he could figure it out somewhere else at this point just seems pointless.
Mark Jankowski: 7 pts... wow. Depth scoring in general was a big weakness for the team this year, but being a regular forward in the lineup and only managing 7 pts in a season that saw scoring increase even further around the NHL is just terrible. I have no clue what the future holds for Jank, but I doubt he is given much more stay in Calgary. Perhaps another chance at league min? What's even worse is he had a bit of a hot stretch that buoyed those totals lol. Yikes
Mark Giordano: Hate to say it, but the 74 pt season probably put the floor a bit too high for what was to be expected this year. Giordano is still a solid #1d no question, but pacing for his usual 40 pts was a bit disappointing after the year he had last season. Still think he has another year or two of #1d play, and no question he will find his number in the rafters at some point, but I'm sure there was some hope he could come close to replicating that norris trophy season.
Noah Hanifin: Had a hot start, played awful for about 40 games, and then looked alright with Rasmus Andersson. Very yoyo year from Hanifin, but I'm starting to see why Carolina was quick to let him go. The vaunted upside I saw in his first year has kind of worn off, and now more questions lie in his future. Seriously, wtf is Noah Hanifin? He seems to be good at a lot of things, but not really a standout in anything. His shot is a muffin, he has great edges but meh straight line speed, he makes plays that befuddle you at times... overall, a very frustrating player and hard to project going forward.
Travis Hamonic: Why the Flames utilized him as a top 4 dman all season with Andersson just waiting around I have no clue. Hamonic's Flames career has also been very yoyo like, but this season was very much a new low in his career. Analytics were godawful to the point that he held the worst xGF% on defense by January, and the fact the team saw a dramatic turnaround in those metrics WITHOUT his presence has to open some eyes in the coaching staff and management (or maybe not if we are to believe Francis lol). Why management tried to trade his PARTNER while extend a floundering and rapidly declining player, idk. I certainly wouldn't mind bringing him back as a third pairing guy with 2 years of term, but I doubt Hammer is going to accept that sort of paygrade at this point. Tread lightly with this player Brad.
Oliver Kylington: Couldn't cement a spot in the lineup, though I do think the coaching staff does deserve more crap for constantly shoehorning Stone in for absolutely 0 reason on this front. He definitely shows flashes, but idk if managment sees the upside some of the fans do. I think he's trade bait for a rhs fwd if we can find one.
Michael Stone: Guy has fallen off a goddamn cliff. He was still mostly certainly nhl caliber 2 seasons ago who could pinch into the top 4, but no longer. He's alright as a #7d, but the guy makes so many mistakes with the puck and with positioning that is just makes you want to facepalm at times. Not a guy you want playing regular minutes, which is disappointing considering I still thought he had that capability at this point in time.
David Rittich: Really sucks putting him here, but his post-ASG play was bad. It was great to see him get the nomination to the game, but he really floundered after a great first half. Has had godawful numbers at home this year, which is largely the trend that has held the last few years at home in general (btw whatever burial ground the saddledome is built under can stop cursing this team's goalies thanks). Still think he is found money as an undrafted guy, but idk if he is a bonafide #1G going forward.

Guys who didn't play enough games: Gus, Forbert, Robinson, whoever else played and I didn't bother putting up.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad