Management How would you rate Sweeney?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Speaking of both Burke and the "fake cup"... Andy Strickland tweeted today that Brian Burke said that Tampas cup win deserves an asterisk because it was harder to win. Just sayin'.
I’m being somewhat tongue in cheek / bottom line is Tampa did what they had to.

good fortune is a necessity and they got it - congratulations to them but pisses me off

I’d rather win in a full stadium going to games all things equal and will wait for this year or next if we return to normalcy

It felt weird watching and once Rask bailed it felt over to me

Love to be at games at the Garden by late Spring watching the Bruins win the Cup

just to add about Burke / I’m a fan of his but Neely wants what I want so I’m Very very good with him In charge

I’ve been around him since mid 80’s and talked to him plenty and he wants a fast tough skilled uptempo team like me. Trust me he hates soft ass shit

Rinaldo, Beleskey, Backes didn’t work but the idea of physical players was a good idea

I’m a Neely guy and I know he probably gets erect watching the Foligno Brothers or Sam Bennett or Tom Wilson

I love the Ritchie trade and am hoping they work with him and maximize his skills / he’s not a stiff at all

Ritchie - Coyle - Smith

They weigh North of 650 lbs and if like to see Ritchie in elite shape and watch video after video of how a barn on skates like Mike Knuble scored nearly 300 goals around net after being picked up on waivers

Ritchie can fight also

I’m coaching and I see Washington running around I tell my bench ‘it’s getting warm out there. Wilson, Hathaway, Gudas could use a little sun screen’

message sent to my team to play physical specifically on certain players and Ritchie can do that

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’m being somewhat tongue in cheek / bottom line is Tampa did what they had to.

good fortune is a necessity and they got it - congratulations to them but pisses me off

I’d rather win in a full stadium going to games all things equal and will wait for this year or next if we return to normalcy

It felt weird watching and once Rask bailed it felt over to me

Love to be at games at the Garden by late Spring watching the Bruins win the Cup

just to add about Burke / I’m a fan of his but Neely wants what I want so I’m Very very good with him In charge

I’ve been around him since mid 80’s and talked to him plenty and he wants a fast tough skilled uptempo team like me. Trust me he hates soft ass shit

Rinaldo, Beleskey, Backes didn’t work but the idea of physical players was a good idea

I’m a Neely guy and I know he probably gets erect watching the Foligno Brothers or Sam Bennett or Tom Wilson

I love the Ritchie trade and am hoping they work with him and maximize his skills / he’s not a stiff at all

Ritchie - Coyle - Smith

They weigh North of 650 lbs and if like to see Ritchie in elite shape and watch video after video of how a barn on skates like Mike Knuble scored nearly 300 goals around net after being picked up on waivers

Ritchie can fight also

I’m coaching and I see Washington running around I tell my bench ‘it’s getting warm out there. Wilson, Hathaway, Gudas could use a little sun screen’

message sent to my team to play physical specifically on certain players and Ritchie can do that

I love your optimism however my feelings are very different for Neely...

The following are obviously driven by Neely and all questionable at the time...

Ritchie (don't see it)
Rinaldo, Beleskey, Backes,
Hayes
Seguin

Maybe the right intent but many of us saw it coming...IMO Neely's assessment of players is extremely questionable and has hurt the bruins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Agree with a B rating. Best in the league at signing RFAs/core players to long term, team friendly deals. Really good at finding cheap depth talent in the UFA market. Great deals like the Coyle trade.

Drafting hit or miss - he has got his top end talent in spades and have to give him kudos for that, but very reliant on US NCAA products. He’s horrendous at the trade deadline and pro scouting is hit or huge miss. Hasn’t been able to fill that 2nd line wing void that has been holding us back. He’s put, and kept an amazing team together, but hasn’t put us over the hump.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Ritchie (don't see it)
Hayes
Seguin

Maybe the right intent but many of us saw it coming...IMO Neely's assessment of players is extremely questionable and has hurt the bruins chances of winning cups.
Was it Neely's close ties as to the Boston college hockey scene that turned him on to Hayes initially? Or Hayes just being shitty?

We all saw the Behind the B episode and know it wasn't Neely driving anything where Seguin was concerned.

I can definitely see Cam saying, "You know, Rindaldo is just like Claude Lemeiux, who I hated like cancer, only completely untalented and a borderline mental defective. Sign him, Donald."

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Ritchie (don't see it)
Hayes
Seguin

Maybe the right intent but many of us saw it coming...IMO Neely's assessment of players is extremely questionable and has hurt the bruins.
I’ve talked to Neely and he’s on the same page as me

remember the team that took the ice last June was a huge favorite to win that game

Neely & Sweeney iced that team

the Undermanned Bruins team that beat the 9 straight win Flyers March 20 in Philadelphia by a 2-0 score to hit 100 points and go up 8 points or more on every one of the other 30 teams

when I am on my text group with Jess Lou & Joe all HF ers and talk to my hockey buddies they all mention how HF Bruins members act like the Bruins are the Calgary Flames or the Carolina Hurricanes. That if you didn’t know what was going on you would have no idea how good they been

I’m extremely fair and there are things I don’t like however overall I like their direction

drafting
Frederic
Studnicka
Beecher
Lindgren
Olson
Lauko
Lohrei
Kunter
Langenbrunner

sign Wolfe & Ahcan

etc last few years exactly what I want

Vaakanainen I like although I wish Sweeney stuck to the script and drafted Robert Thomas who would be a perfect Bruins- just depressing to find out he got talked out of it as the pick was about to be made

bottom line

to me they are doing my blueprint

mobile D
Big down the middle
guys on wing who shoot
Goalie (Swayman I have man crush)

I can’t really go off on them when they are doing what I would do

Heck I even had Kunter & Langenbrunner targeted Pre draft and they took them

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Ritchie (don't see it)
Hayes
Seguin

You are deluding yourself if you think anyone other than Sweeney is to blame for Hayes, Ronaldo, Beleskey, Backes... Neely may have said we need to be more physical but he’s not calling GM’s and working out deals in a broom closet, and then walking into Don’s office to let him know a trade was made. It’s not how it works. Donny made those deals. He is as bad at finding power forwards as he is good at finding puck moving Dmen.

What’s more, just because Neely says we need to be more physical, doesn’t mean Donny has to do it. Sweeney is in charge of roster building. You need only look at this summer for proof. Neely said they need to make changes to be better able to handle the physical abuse of the playoffs- and Donny did nothing to accomplish that vision. They’re not bigger, or better in front of the offensive net and without Chara are decidedly weaker in front of their own net.

It’s the same with the draft. Folks say he shouldn’t be blamed for the 2015 first round but then give him credit for drafting Carlo. He is either responsible for that draft (good and bad) or he is not.

Picking out the good things and blaming all the bad on someone else (Neely, pro scouting, amateur scouting...) is just disingenuous.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’ve talked to Neely and he’s on the same page as me

remember the team that took the ice last June was a huge favorite to win that game

Neely & Sweeney iced that team

the Undermanned Bruins team that beat the 9 straight win Flyers March 20 in Philadelphia by a 2-0 score to hit 100 points and go up 8 points or more on every one of the other 30 teams

when I am on my text group with Jess Lou & Joe all HF ers and talk to my hockey buddies they all mention how HF Bruins members act like the Bruins are the Calgary Flames or the Carolina Hurricanes. That if you didn’t know what was going on you would have no idea how good they been

I’m extremely fair and there are things I don’t like however overall I like their direction

drafting
Frederic
Studnicka
Beecher
Lindgren
Olson
Lauko
Lohrei
Kunter
Langenbrunner

sign Wolfe & Ahcan

etc last few years exactly what I want

Vaakanainen I like although I wish Sweeney stuck to the script and drafted Robert Thomas who would be a perfect Bruins- just depressing to find out he got talked out of it as the pick was about to be made

bottom line

to me they are doing my blueprint

mobile D
Big down the middle
guys on wing who shoot
Goalie (Swayman I have man crush)

I can’t really go off on them when they are doing what I would do

Heck I even had Kunter & Langenbrunner targeted Pre draft and they took them

I fully agree with your/Neely's blueprint ... I'm just not confident Neely should be assessing/requesting talent. Thinking the good talent is on Sweeney and the bad has been Neely. LOL

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You are deluding yourself if you think anyone other than Sweeney is to blame for Hayes, Ronaldo, Beleskey, Backes... Neely may have said we need to be more physical but he’s not calling GM’s and working out deals in a broom closet, and then walking into Don’s office to let him know a trade was made. It’s not how it works. Donny made those deals. He is as bad at finding power forwards as he is good at finding puck moving Dmen.

What’s more, just because Neely says we need to be more physical, doesn’t mean Donny has to do it. Sweeney is in charge of roster building. You need only look at this summer for proof. Neely said they need to make changes to be better able to handle the physical abuse of the playoffs- and Donny did nothing to accomplish that vision. They’re not bigger, or better in front of the offensive net and without Chara are decidedly weaker in front of their own net.

It’s the same with the draft. Folks say he shouldn’t be blamed for the 2015 first round but then give him credit for drafting Carlo. He is either responsible for that draft (good and bad) or he is not.

Picking out the good things and blaming all the bad on someone else (Neely, pro scouting, amateur scouting...) is just disingenuous.

I agree with the above...does gut feeling count? lol

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I fully agree with your/Neely's blueprint ... I'm just not confident Neely should be assessing/requesting talent. Thinking the good talent is on Sweeney and the bad has been Neely. LOL
They operate as a consensus

I believe I have a solid grasp of how it works

everyone has a say at table and respect and Cam does not pound fist and say do it my way

Ritchie is tough he needs to get better and it all starts with a plan and between the ears

as a fellow lefty warms my heart to see Ritchie with good technique and saying bleep the Code

I believe he can certainly an exceptional athlete as a youth

Nick Ritchie gives up lacrosse for hockey – Peterborough Petes

no reason he can’t

he turned 25 Sunday he’s still very young

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They operate as a consensus

I believe I have a solid grasp of how it works

everyone has a say at table and respect and Cam does not pound fist and say do it my way

Ritchie is tough he needs to get better and it all starts with a plan and between the ears

as a fellow lefty warms my heart to see Ritchie with good technique and saying bleep the Code

I believe he can certainly an exceptional athlete as a youth

Nick Ritchie gives up lacrosse for hockey – Peterborough Petes

no reason he can’t

he turned 25 Sunday he’s still very young

Still have big doubts about Ritchie.

Too many if's.

Do not see the killer instinct needed.

And what's with him being a lefty and shooting left? He's not an American!

Reactions: BlackFrancis

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't see why anyone would be confident in any of them when it comes to accessing talent. Not Sweeney, not Neely, not JFJ, not Scott Bradley, certainly not the pro scouts (seriously which one of them went and saw the 2019-20 version of Nick Ritchie and recommended the Bruins trade for him)? Or did they just watch Ritchie rookie season highlight package on YouTube when he could go out and rake up 7-9-9 hits in a game and keep D-men on their toes.

Reactions: BMC

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Sweeney has been a bum since day one. The reason we have not won cups during his tenure. No other way to say it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Remarkably insightful post.
I’m all for a Lauzon - Carlo pairing especially killing PK but with the Ferguson JR and Coach Leach comments about the mercurial jump in Zboril play I put him with Carlo second pairing

one thing Zboril does is get control and do an excellent breakout first pass

he’s very sturdy and strong on skates so with experience and familiarity with next level speed/quickness he should be solid back there

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Zboril- Carlo
Lauzon- Clifton/Miller
Vaakanainen
Moore

why the F not

5 of these guys played in the SC Finals so we aren’t talking children here

Reactions: TCB

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m all for a Lauzon - Carlo pairing especially killing PK but with the Ferguson JR and Coach Leach comments about the mercurial jump in Zboril play I put him with Carlo second pairing

one thing Zboril does is get control and do an excellent breakout first pass

he’s very sturdy and strong on skates so with experience and familiarity with next level speed/quickness he should be solid back there

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Zboril- Carlo
Lauzon- Clifton/Miller
Vaakanainen
Moore

why the F not

5 of these guys played in the SC Finals so we aren’t talking children here

If Zboril is as good as (or better) than Lauzon, I'd feel very comfortable with the defense.

Reactions: DKH

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
If Zboril is as good as (or better) than Lauzon, I'd feel very comfortable with the defense.
I have to agree. It's a big if that Zboril will be better than Lauzon though. Therefore I would find a way to pry Dave Manson out of Anaheim.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Agree with a B rating. Best in the league at signing RFAs/core players to long term, team friendly deals. Really good at finding cheap depth talent in the UFA market. Great deals like the Coyle trade.

Drafting hit or miss - he has got his top end talent in spades and have to give him kudos for that, but very reliant on US NCAA products. He’s horrendous at the trade deadline and pro scouting is hit or huge miss. Hasn’t been able to fill that 2nd line wing void that has been holding us back. He’s put, and kept an amazing team together, but hasn’t put us over the hump.
See i have a problem with the word "put". What has he put ?.........Rask, Pasta, Marchy, Bergy, Krejci, ......No....He had the nucleus that won a cup. In their prime. McAvoy great pick but thank God cause he blew three of those. Carlo....eh....He is a big non physical non offensive Dman. A number 4 at best. ,,,Coyle was a great deal.........In five years he has accumulated more junk than impact. Moore, Belesky, Backes......Brutal......Fact is Sweeney has not added one world class player in five plus years...Not one by trade or free agent. And this is while his stars all sign cap friendly deals....which he has not capitalized on. How is that possible ?. B. I think not. For me its a C minus....or an F. Not one impact world class player in five years.....Thats a poor job. Rangers have added Panerin, Zibinjad and Trouba in that time.....This guy Sweeney needs to go.

Reactions: Don Cherry

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
See i have a problem with the word "put". What has he put ?.........Rask, Pasta, Marchy, Bergy, Krejci, ......No....He had the nucleus that won a cup. In their prime. McAvoy great pick but thank God cause he blew three of those. Carlo....eh....He is a big non physical non offensive Dman. A number 4 at best. ,,,Coyle was a great deal.........In five years he has accumulated more junk than impact. Moore, Belesky, Backes......Brutal......Fact is Sweeney has not added one world class player in five plus years...Not one by trade or free agent. And this is while his stars all sign cap friendly deals....which he has not capitalized on. How is that possible ?. B. I think not. For me its a C minus....or an F. Not one impact world class player in five years.....Thats a poor job. Rangers have added Panerin, Zibinjad and Trouba in that time.....This guy Sweeney needs to go.

I guess you can say his failures are greater than his successes. Are Neely/Sweeney building up for a solid cup run? Perhaps. With Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Rask, Chara soon fading into the history books - let's hope management finds the right personnel.

Otherwise trade your expiring best for a rebuild.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting was reading on line today that Sweeney was promoted from assistant GM April 2015 when Chiarelli fired and Scouting Dir Keith Gretzky ran the June 2015 draft and made call on Senyshyn- Gretzky got credit for Pastrnak and the Senyshyn pick but within year Sweeney replaced Gretzky who in 2016 joined Chiarelii, & Scott Bradley assumed bigger role drafting for Boston which he had under MOC and led to Bergeron Marchand Kessel Lucic Krejci etc

BEP

Aka (TripleOT)
Nov 27, 2019
Florida
Finished evaluating. His work, and Neely's.

Other than relieving the club of onerous contracts they themselves handed out, I don't see any real strengths, other than perhaps bringing in undrafted players.

F.
Good assessment.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
sweeney needs to get Rask signed to an extension sooner rather then later. I personally dont want to lose Rask to FA. 2 or 3 year deal at 5M a year would be great.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
sweeney needs to get Rask signed to an extension sooner rather then later. I personally dont want to lose Rask to FA. 2 or 3 year deal at 5M a year would be great.
I don’t think that will be too hard.

his big issue coming is replacing his two top centers. Good luck.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I'd look to trade Rask, but if Sweeney and Neely are delusional about this team's ceiling, they should let Rask walk unless the terms are favorable. This team isn't winning a cup anytime soon, and Rask could fetch something nice at the trade deadline from a team who thinks he could put them over the top.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Give credit where credit is due. Donny is looking good

Bruins are winning and playing strong hockey without Pasta

Smithy looks good. Lauzy and Zboril have made seamless transitions into the D core

Losing some key vets without losing a beat, credit also goes to Cassidy and his staff

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->