Management How would you rate Sweeney?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
He’s done a good job signing roster players at a reasonable rate to extensions of their contracts.

Have a hard time finding other redeeming factors in his performance in first round drafting and trading. I think we can do better for a GM.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
NHL Power Rankings: Ranking the NHL general managers

Didn’t Yzerman sign those Carle & Callahan deals that led to buyouts and chicanery?

They won the fake Cup but are a financial mess

same for Armstrong- amazing amount of bad contracts and love Krug but he’s not Pietrangelo

Sweeney basically one horrible move - Barzal pass

everything else would have worked out

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

Didn’t Yzerman sign those Carle & Callahan deals that led to buyouts and chicanery?

same for Armstrong- amazing amount of bad contracts and love Krug but he’s not Pietrangelo

Three passes on Barzal. It should have been strike three and Don is gone for that alone. How can you call it a fake cup? No families, no crowd and basically no anything. To me that cup was very difficult based on circumstances alone. Far from fake.
What are your thoughts on Brian Burke? I know you have expressed lately that you want a tougher team. Burke would instantly take care of that issue although it would likely involve signing Brad May.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Three passes on Barzal. It should have been strike three and Don is gone for that alone. How can you call it a fake cup? No families, no crowd and basically no anything. To me that cup was very difficult based on circumstances alone. Far from fake.
What are your thoughts on Brian Burke? I know you have expressed lately that you want a tougher team. Burke would instantly take care of that issue although it would likely involve signing Brad May.
I want a balanced team that can dance and brawl the opponents call.

I am a Burke guy but I believe Neely went home and spent the night with his head in the toilet throwing up after watching Washington bitch slap the Bruins last January ironically in a game the Bruins won on the scoreboard but visually felt like a 10-0 loss

I’d like to see Sweeney tell the WHL, QMJHL, OHL, and European Bruins scouting to submit a list of three players who are the best combination is character, skill, and toughness.

I would draft rounds 3-5 every year regardless of position these types figuring I’ll stick a couple

I’m a fan of Frederic, Lauzon, and Studnicka who can be abrasive

I want more

ideally I’d like to get a guy like Tom
Wilson on the top 6 who can wreck havoc

Midship

Jan 7, 2016

What about giving up 4 draft picks for Liles/Stempniak AND holding onto Loui Eriksson the same deadline, when anyone with a pulse could see that team was going absolutely nowhere? They didnt even make the playoffs for f***s sake. That approaches 2015 draft levels of incompetence. Absolutely mind bending.

Reactions: Lo97 and Gordoff

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Sweeney is a B graded GM for me for these moves:

McAvoy, Carlo, DeBrusk = make up 3/10 top line positions (T6F and T4D) on the team. I’d be intrigued to see how other GMs percentages with their teams and having players specifically drafted under their regime. Sweeney’s contributions make up at least 30%. He was here for Pastrnak and is on recording to being involved in that pick. Personally, an argument that he’s had a hand in 40% of the team’s top 6/Top 4 can be made without any qualms from me.

Coyle trade = a total fleecing. Thank you Minnesota. Shoutout to pro scouting for finally nailing one.

Lower lineup acquisitions= I think Sweeney has excelled here. Schaller, Nordstrom, Acciari,

Contract extensions = A grade. Enough said.

His bad moves have cost them a bit. Backes was brutal. I don’t have a problem saying he passed on Barzal. Bad move that I just don’t continue to harp on. Hayes trade was awful but I like to remember that Smith was not doing well and hence the reason he was traded. If Smith played like he did now then he’s still here with Pastrnak as your Top 6 RWs. And we touch on what brings him down the most. His lack of acquiring of a legit long term RW. Also, didn’t care for his Stempniak and Liles acquisitions. Hurt them in the draft pick department. Both players were mediocre.

I didn’t include beleskey contract because while it made Sweeney’a situation difficult, he doesn’t have a crystal ball. Beleskey was entering his prime and had a career year his first season in Boston. He got him on what was considered a good contract as it was less than what he was projected to get.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What about giving up 4 draft picks for Liles/Stempniak AND holding onto Loui Eriksson the same deadline, when anyone with a pulse could see that team was going absolutely nowhere? They didnt even make the playoffs for f***s sake. That approaches 2015 draft levels of incompetence. Just absolutely mind bending.

The Bruins were rolling at the time of the TDL. I don’t like getting on a GM for not dealing a UFA to be when in the hunt. The rest are legit gripes.

Reactions: Sevendust

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What about giving up 4 draft picks for Liles/Stempniak AND holding onto Loui Eriksson the same deadline, when anyone with a pulse could see that team was going absolutely nowhere? They didnt even make the playoffs for f***s sake. That approaches 2015 draft levels of incompetence. Absolutely mind bending.
Bottom line with all these guys they mess up

look at Belichick

Sweeney has horrible moves which is true of that top 5 list

there were Yzerman Fire threads on Tampa HF board

I would like the job lol

I can tell you my bottom 6 would not be taking shit

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Bottom line with all these guys they mess up

look at Belichick

Sweeney has horrible moves which is true of that top 5 list

there were Yzerman Fire threads on Tampa HF board

I would like the job lol

I can tell you my bottom 6 would not be taking shit

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I put Sweeney at a B.

Some hits, some misses and overall a good, solid job. There are a lot of fan bases who would take him in a heartbeat. And had the Bs won game seven against St. Louis I think the overall fan view would be appreciably more positive.

He has done the tough balancing act of transitioning an aging team while keeping it competitive- something not to be under-rated. One bump in the road- my gut says his vision of the Bs and Cam's are not totally aligned leading to some moves that seemed out of character for Sweeney to make.

Reactions: Idunkmyoreos

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The Rangers have 14 mill in dead money on the books this season. Wow, that is unreal. Who was it that said they would rather have Gorton as the GM?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't mind Sweeney. Giving him a B-

But for me there is absolutely no excuse for the 2015 draft when you see the consensus picks excelling. It's very frustrating to know the bruins could have had such high quality players that would have set them up for a long competitive successful run.

I don't think I will ever get over that draft.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The Rangers have 14 mill in dead money on the books this season. Wow, that is unreal. Who was it that said they would rather have Gorton as the GM?

Many here because Sweeney drafted Zach Senyshyn. The grass is always greener. Whatever mistakes Sweeney has made, and he has made them, Bruins fans would melt down if we had some of the trainwrecks that are now occupying NHL front offices.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I want a balanced team that can dance and brawl the opponents call.

I am a Burke guy but I believe Neely went home and spent the night with his head in the toilet throwing up after watching Washington bitch slap the Bruins last January ironically in a game the Bruins won on the scoreboard but visually felt like a 10-0 loss

I’d like to see Sweeney tell the WHL, QMJHL, OHL, and European Bruins scouting to submit a list of three players who are the best combination is character, skill, and toughness.

I would draft rounds 3-5 every year regardless of position these types figuring I’ll stick a couple

I’m a fan of Frederic, Lauzon, and Studnicka who can be abrasive

I want more

ideally I’d like to get a guy like Tom
Wilson on the top 6 who can wreck havoc

I like this idea.

Unfortunately, the Bruins haven't drafted a single player from the Canadian Major Junior leagues in the last 3 drafts.

In 2017 they did take Studnicka.

Reactions: Lo97

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Speaking of both Burke and the "fake cup"... Andy Strickland tweeted today that Brian Burke said that Tampas cup win deserves an asterisk because it was harder to win. Just sayin'.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
How can you call it a fake cup? No families, no crowd and basically no anything. To me that cup was very difficult based on circumstances alone. Far from fake.

It was interesting to see the various reactions when the playoff plan was unfolding.

I was against calling it a Stanley Cup playoff primarily because they chucked, to a large extent, seeding based on regular season play, allowed more teams, etc etc. I preferred it be called something else. 2020 NHL Championship series. Anything. Play it if ya want. Don’t call it the Stanley Cup as if this year is not different from the past. Hell, maybe drop the whole idea altogether.

Others absolutely railed against any sort of post season given what was happening outside of hockey.

Still others said who cares, we win it, it’s legit. Funny. I’ve even seen a change in “view” from defense of the legitimacy of the tourney prior, to labelling it essentially a farce now that their team didn’t win it.

Agree it was a tough title to win, but the best team won. It’s, in my view, a legit “title” even if I’m still hung up on semantics and purity of the Cup name.

Last edited:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
It was interesting to see the various reactions when the playoff plan was unfolding.

I was against calling it a Stanley Cup playoff primarily because they chucked, to a large extent, seeding based on regular season play, allowed more teams, etc etc. I preferred it be called something else. 2020 NHL Championship series. Anything. Play it if ya want. Don’t call it the Stanley Cup as if this year is not different from the past. Hell, maybe drop the whole idea altogether.

Others absolutely railed against any sort of post season given what was happening outside of hockey.

Still others said who cares, we win it, it’s legit. Funny. I’ve seen a few change their “view”completely now that their team didn’t win it.

Agree it was a tough title to win, but the best team won. It’s, in my view, a legit “title” even if I’m still hung up on semantics and purity of the Cup name.
There were a couple strike-shortened seasons where only 48 games were played. Those were called Stanley Cups wins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Without getting Kakko & Lafreniere they are cooked

incredible luck but good for them

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
There were a couple strike-shortened seasons where only 48 games were played. Those were called Stanley Cups wins.

There were several altered seasons throughout history.

2012-13 lockout year... beginning of season wiped out, played 48 games.

Similar situation in early 90s.

Early 20th century wasn’t there a canceled cup final due to Spanish Flu?

At any rate That they called those shortened season titles Stanley Cups doesn’t change my view of this year’s tournament given the bastardization of the selection and seeding methodology. Just different enough for me to pause and wonder if there was a better descriptor of the tournament. Do I care a lot? Absolutely not

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

the year they kept Louie, at the deadline they were in pretty good shape. Losing 9 of their last 12 is what killed them. Not the marginal acquisitions or keeping Louie.

Actually both years they missed the playoffs they were in a tough spot. Not out of it by any means but not looking like a legit threat to win it all. Those situations lead to prudence ie try to improve the club but don’t go wild.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Luck??? That has to be the biggest scam. They didn’t even have to tank.
Lol it’s pretty incredible
NY and all
handed TWO likely elite world class wingers

If I was the Rangers GM and told I could hit the lottery for $10 M or get these two and be assured I have my GM job for at least 5 job I take Kakko & Lafreniere

imagine the Bruins hitting those

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad