How would you rate Carolina's offseason?

How would you rate Carolina's offseason?

• Total voters

GFS

Apr 12, 2010
How would you rate Carolina's offseason so far?

Trades
CAR: Jonathan Bernier, 2021 2nd (#93)
DET: Alex Nedeljkovic

CAR: 2021 2nd (#43)
CBJ: Jake Bean

CAR: Ethan Bear
EDM: Warren Foegele

Signings
Frederik Andersen - 2 x 4.5M
Ian Cole - 1 x 2.9M
Antti Raanta - 2 x 2M
Jordan Martinook - 3 x 1.8M
Derek Stepan - 1 x 1.35M
Anthony DeAngelo - 1 x 1M
Brendan Smith - 1 x 800K

Lost to Free Agency
Dougie Hamilton - 7 x 9M
Jonathan Bernier - 2 x 4.125M
Petr Mrazek - 3 x 3.8M
Brock McGinn - 4 x 2.75M
James Reimer - 2 x 2.25M
Jani Hakanpaa - 3 x 1.5M
Cedric Paquette - 1 x 950K

Last edited:

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Replacing Mrazek/Nedeljkovic with Andersen/Raanta is at best a lateral move but far more likely to be a downgrade and Bean was moved for someone who won't be as good as him (if he even turns into an NHL player)

Bear is a nice addition but Foegele also played a key role so that trade is essentially a wash, Cole is a solid signing and DeAngelo could be the bargain of the year if he returns to form and ditches the off ice baggage

Could have been worse and they still have a tremendous core even with Hamilton's departure but overall I don't feel these moves bring them any closer to reaching the Finals

Jun 15, 2007
Goaltending carousel is not great but it's whatever, imo.

The failure to keep Hamilton is a killer though. With the 8th year advantage they should have been able to get him below 9m AAV, which is reasonable for a number 1 defenseman.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I’d give it a 6.

The Nedelkjovic trade was very puzzling, basically traded a Calder finalist for a 3rd round pick. I get not wanting to commit based on a small sample size but he was by far and away their best goalie last season. And to pay the inconsistent and older Freddy Andersen more seems strange to me.

I liked the Bean trade. He was stuck behind a lot of good defensemen so to get a 2nd for him is a solid return.

Say what you want about Tony DeAngelo and his personality but the fact is that he’s a good hockey player so the thought is that him and Bear can help mitigate the loss of Hamilton at a fraction of the cost.

Some solid depth signings as well.

Reactions: HBK27 and Lays

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Gave it a 5 because I think it’s close to a complete wash. They essentially are betting on this youngish core to keep improving. Xfactor will be goalie health. I would put money that at some point in the year both are hurt at the same time so not sure why they fished out 6.5m at the position when they could have kept both their previous guys at the same cap but with more health certainty and higher upside.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
IMHO, they got worse.

That is not championship goaltending in net.

It will bite them at the worst time...the playoffs.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It's a bad offseason. Losing Dougie is rough, but the real issue was the Ned trade. He was a great goalie last season and gave them stability in goal that they hadn't had in a long time. As if not re-signing him was bad, the return they got was porous. Andersen has been real bad for the last 2 seasons, so hopefully for them he can return to his form before that.

I'm indifferent to the Deangelo signing. I think it's a great price for what he brings individually as a player but he has a history of being locker room poison.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like a lot of turnover for a team that finished 3rd in the regular season. That's not necessarily a bad thing but the Hamilton loss will be felt for sure. They have a strong enough top 4 that it can be mitigated, neither Calgary or Boston really missed him that much after they traded him.

Think they've upgraded their goalies honestly, but health is a concern for both. I'll give it a 6.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
They had to deal with a lot of roster turnover, so it was not going to be an easy off season, and I feel like they did a decent job signing skaters. Their goaltending situation is where I think they did a poor job. Going after two goalies with injury issues after trading away Ned does not seem like a smart move for a team looking to make the playoffs.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
It was very very subpar, but normal standard for the franchise. The big issues still remain, and they managed to overpay a very mediocre starter who will undermine any possibility of a Cup run, yet again. Nothing new under the sun

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Hard to give a final rating since they still need to re-sign Svechnikov, so it really depends on what kind of deal he gets as far as long term vs bridge and for what cap hit.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It's a bad offseason. Losing Dougie is rough, but the real issue was the Ned trade. He was a great goalie last season and gave them stability in goal that they hadn't had in a long time. As if not re-signing him was bad, the return they got was porous. Andersen has been real bad for the last 2 seasons, so hopefully for them he can return to his form before that.

I'm indifferent to the Deangelo signing. I think it's a great price for what he brings individually as a player but he has a history of being locker room poison.
Skjei and Fast, both known as high character guys, okay’d the DeAngelo signing, along with adding another high character vet that DeAngelo is close with in Brendan Smith, i think the Canes will be fine

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think on the whole, they shuffled a lot of pieces around in some pretty lateral moves that don't amount to much. But the big glaring change, is in Dougie walking out the door. I'm not a big believer in the "greatness" of Hamilton as a true #1D or anything, and wouldn't have wanted anything to do with the contract he ultimately commanded...but you can't deny he's an effective player in the right role (as he was for Carolina). Even ignoring the off-ice and team chemistry stuff, DeAngelo is not a plug 'n play replacement on the ice. That's a very significant step backward.

I think they'll still be plenty good as a team. They've still got a good core of players, and pretty solid depth. But as far as grading their offseason...it's a poor grade. Whatever numerically corresponds here to barely passing, a notch above F. Though putting in a lot of work to get to that barely passing grade, due to circumstances.

Reactions: mattihp

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
I'll give them 5. I just don't understand that Nedeljkovic trade.. such a promising goalie.
Interesting to see if Raanta can avoid injuries this year (I know, probability quite low..). He has been good those few stints that he has stayed healthy for more than 10 games.
I kind of like Bear, but losing Hamilton and solid bottom pair guy Hakanpaa is worrying.
DeAngelo is a risk.

If they can squeeze reasonable AAV & term out of Svech, I could raise my verdict to 6.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Not nearly as bad as many are claiming. They can still take the Metro and go on a deep run.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
They are stagnating and pretty happy about it.
They will most probably try to lowball Svech this offseason. It will be interesting to see whether he caves in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad