How would you rank these top young defenders?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Well.... they're the only current 1D and current locks. That's why he says "actual"

Okay, but in OP, I clearly state I am asking for who will be #1D in 2021.

If you're just going to ignore the point of the thread, why even take part? Why not make a "which of these players is a #1D right now" thread?

Reactions: Catch22

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actual #1D:
-------------------
Provorov.
Werenski.
McAvoy.

On their way to #1D but totally insufficient track record:
------------------
Heiskanen.
Dahlin.

Not #1D:
------------------
Jokiharju.
Chabot.
Sergachev.
Girard.
Makar.

You should tell Girard & the Avalanche this, because they don't seem to be aware that Samwise isn't supposed to be thriving as the team's best blueliner.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well.... they're the only current 1D and current locks. That's why he says "actual"

Can you elaborate?
Are you saying they're the only ones currently ranked as the top D in their organization?
Are you saying they're the only ones who are currently in the top 30 D in the league?
What are you using to determine who's currently better?

You don't say much of anything, really.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You only see Prov, Werenski and McAvoy as #1D in 3 years?

No? I see those 3 as pretty much "locks", already more or less being there and all. Plus Heiskanen and Dahlin looking well on their way there...but i'm not exactly gonna take that to the bank as locks for getting there by 2021 or whenever. Not after less than a quarter season in the bigs. Development isn't that linear, and having all the tools and ability, and even looking good early doesn't mean they're going to get there. There are only so many real #1 Defencemen in the league, and most defencemen never hit that magical "ceiling" of potential.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You should tell Girard & the Avalanche this, because they don't seem to be aware that Samwise isn't supposed to be thriving as the team's best blueliner.

I feel like that's really more a testament to how underrated his partner Erik Johnson can be. And frankly, even him...i wouldn't quite call a true #1D.

In my estimation, a true #1D plays every situation (which Girard does not), and can carry a much lesser partner than EJ who is a fringe #1D himself (which Girard has also not shown he can do, and i'm skeptical he ever will).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I feel like that's really more a testament to how underrated his partner Erik Johnson can be. And frankly, even him...i wouldn't quite call a true #1D.

In my estimation, a true #1D plays every situation (which Girard does not), and can carry a much lesser partner than EJ who is a fringe #1D himself (which Girard has also not shown he can do, and i'm skeptical he ever will).

Nah. EJ has lost a step and has been decisively outplayed by Girard; who’s phenomenal all over the ice

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Nah. EJ has lost a step and has been decisively outplayed by Girard; who’s phenomenal all over the ice

That sounds reasonable. It's not like EJ has a long track record of being a legitimate fringe top pairing stud (when healthy)...and Girard is just some kid having a good run alongside him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That sounds reasonable. It's not like EJ has a long track record of being a legitimate fringe top pairing stud (when healthy)...and Girard is just some kid having a good run alongside him.

...and EJ has started to slow down this year, while Girard has built on his strong rookie campaign to take another step this season...which is why Samwise is doing even better away from EJ...

*shrug* you don’t have to take my word for it. You could just watch some avs games for yourself or ask other central division fans who’ve played us this year. Girard isn’t just some kid, there’s a reason why he has outplayed Chabot at every level.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
  1. Chabot
  2. McAvoy
  3. Werenski
  4. Provorov
  5. Dahlin
  6. Heiskanen
  7. Jokiharju
  8. Sergachev
  9. Girard
  10. Makar
Projection:
  1. Dahlin
  2. Heiskanen
  3. Makar
  4. Provorov
  5. Chabot
  6. McAvoy
  7. Werenski
  8. Jokiharju
  9. Girard
  10. Sergachev

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
No? I see those 3 as pretty much "locks", already more or less being there and all. Plus Heiskanen and Dahlin looking well on their way there...but i'm not exactly gonna take that to the bank as locks for getting there by 2021 or whenever. Not after less than a quarter season in the bigs. Development isn't that linear, and having all the tools and ability, and even looking good early doesn't mean they're going to get there. There are only so many real #1 Defencemen in the league, and most defencemen never hit that magical "ceiling" of potential.

Cool - I asked to rank 10 dmen based on where you think they will be by 2021 and you felt the need to rebel and then go on this little self righteous rant rather than list your players. Nice!

1. Chabot
  2. McAvoy
  3. Werenski
  4. Provorov
  5. Dahlin
  6. Heiskanen
  7. Jokiharju
  8. Sergachev
  9. Girard
  10. Makar
Projection:
  1. Dahlin
  2. Heiskanen
  3. Makar
  4. Provorov
  5. Chabot
  6. McAvoy
  7. Werenski
  8. Jokiharju
  9. Girard
  10. Sergachev

Ooh, that's gotta the highest I've seen Makar and lowest I've seen Werenski. Love it!

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
In 2005 Phaneuf would been ranked miles ahead of Weber
I remember a TSN debate about “who would you build your team around” RE Crosby, Ovie and Phaneuf, and there was support with going with the franchise D.

Defense is such a crap shoot, you just never know

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Nice poll OP, like looking at this and making these predictions for the near future when theres a lot a variables and changes that will make. Its what makes the prediction process fun and interesting! :)

1. Dahlin
2. Heiskanen
3. McAvoy
4. Provorov
5. Chabot
6. Werenski
7. Makar
8. Jokijarahu
9. Girard
10. Sergachev

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Makar coming for that nr 1 spot.
Maybe if Dahlin retires this week.

I’m an Avs fan and obviously love Makar, but Dahlin is in a league of his own among this list of names. I thought Girard was ranked too low by many people but I realized those posts are a year old.

Reactions: Avs44

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Maybe if Dahlin retires this week.

I’m an Avs fan and obviously love Makar, but Dahlin is in a league of his own among this list of names. I thought Girard was ranked too low by many people but I realized those posts are a year old.

Yep.... quite frankly right now the Avs appear to have the 2nd and 3rd best Defenders out of this group.

Girard was being slept on hard. Dude is a legit top pairing Dman already. A decent number of guys on this list will never reach that level.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
With DOB

Dahlin - April 13, 2000
Heiskanen - July 18, 1999
Jokiharju - June 17, 1999
Makar - October 30, 1998
Sergachev - June 25, 1998
Girard - May 12, 1998
McAvoy - December 21, 1997
Werenski - July 19, 1997
Chabot- January 30, 1997
Provorov - January 13, 1997

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
I tried to put together a list of the #1D type D that are within the last few drafts. I am sure I missed some good players, so feel free to add them to yours lists.

Please rank by how you foresee them developing in the next few years. Who will be tops by 2021?

Also, free free to add tiers if you want to. Here is the list of players:

• Provorov
  • Werenski
  • Sergachev
  • McAvoy
  • Girard
  • Makar
  • Chabot
  • Dahlin
  • Jokiharju
  • Heiskanen

----------------------------

My rankings:

1. Dahlin
  2. Heiskanen
  3. Chabot
  4. Provorov
  5. Werenski
  6. McAvoy
  7. Makar
  8. Jokiharju
  9. Girard
  10. Sergachev
Based on where I think they’ll end up
1. Dahlin
2. Heiskanen
3. Makar
4. Mcavoy
5.Chabot
6.Werenski
7.Provorov
8.Sergachev
9.Girard
10.Jokiharju

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm not going to attempt a ranking, but after only 6 games, Jokiharju has looked really good so far this year -- probably better than Dahlin defensively and the best transition passes on the team (IMHO).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->