How would you rank these goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

studhorseman

Oct 25, 2003
... in terms of overall potential: Josh Harding, Dan Ellis, Jim Howard, Henrik Lundqvist. Will they all be starters in the leagueat some point? And who's the closest of the four to being NHL ready?

Thanks for all input.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
ortiz said:
... in terms of overall potential: Josh Harding, Dan Ellis, Jim Howard, Henrik Lundqvist. Will they all be starters in the leagueat some point? And who's the closest of the four to being NHL ready?

Thanks for all input.

Well I can tell you Ellis is the most NHL ready, because he will be backing up Turco next year.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Dan Ellis will be backing up Turco next year. He only played one game in the NHL but he impressed pretty much everyone watching. Coming off a season where he was named ECHL playoff MVP, I think Ellis is our top goalie prospect by a decent margain. Even if we still had Bacashihua..

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Ellis is probably most NHL ready(and by probably, I mean probably by a long shot), but in the end, Harding will probably be the best of the four.

Now I'm waiting for TSK to come in here an back me up. Then it'll be all good.

thestonedkoala

Harding will be a very solid goaltender but Lundqvist and Howard could be just as good. Lundqvist isn't getting much press, even though the Rangers said he is probably going to come over and play and Howard played some good hockey in college, so it's going to be hard to see which goalie is going to be the best in the future.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ist obviouis to anyone who nows hockey that Ovechkin is the prospect which one would list first on this list if he were listing the best prospecdts. Put the rest in any order. Goalies arent as important as Mario Lemieux and none of these goalies have ben said two be the next Mario Lemieux so why are we even talking about them.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
rob_paxon said:
Ist obviouis to anyone who nows hockey that Ovechkin is the prospect which one would list first on this list if he were listing the best prospecdts. Put the rest in any order. Goalies arent as important as Mario Lemieux and none of these goalies have ben said two be the next Mario Lemieux so why are we even talking about them.

:yo: Yes, man!!!

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
rob_paxon said:

preach on brother

Habdominal

Jun 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
rob_paxon said:

NOW THAT'S REALLY HELPFULL :shakehead

Lundquist seems to me like the best long term potentiel, Ellis wil have the fastest impact, Harding and Howard might be excellent goalies, but they still need more seasoning :dunno:

thestonedkoala

Harding needs and is going to the AHL for a bit...But he's solid

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ortiz said:
... in terms of overall potential: Josh Harding, Dan Ellis, Jim Howard, Henrik Lundqvist. Will they all be starters in the leagueat some point?

You'll be lucky if one of the four becomes a starter.

There's a ton of good goalie prospects, but only 30 positions. All filled by guys who like being the #1, and don't want to leave.

Just being talented isn't enough, you have to be in the right spot when the opportunity arises.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
PecaFan said:
You'll be lucky if one of the four becomes a starter.

There's a ton of good goalie prospects, but only 30 positions. All filled by guys who like being the #1, and don't want to leave.

Just being talented isn't enough, you have to be in the right spot when the opportunity arises.

KILLJOY!

thestonedkoala

I'm sorry PecaFan but you're a bit of an idiot if you don't think Lundqvist, Howard, or Harding could end up being a very solid starter...

All three of them could start...Especially Harding

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Harding needs and is going to the AHL for a bit...But he's solid

Harding might have some early troubles with the move to Houston, or wherever he plays. He's from Regina, and lived and played there all his life. He did decent in Brandon, but the fact that he had to make the move to Brandon affected his game for a bit. Moving to the States will be much bigger.

Still, the Wild organization really should thank Brent Parker for trading him. It was probably the saddest day in Pats history, but and even though he didn't move far away, he knows what it's like to move away and not play for the home team, so that'll definetely help his AHL seasoning.

He'll probably struggle early, so you better hope Riser stays patient. It'll take a while, but in the end, he'll probably be a quality NHL goalie.

BTW, is he signed? I think I read something somewhere, but I'm not sure. Hopefully you can help me out.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
thestonedkoala said:
I'm sorry PecaFan but you're a bit of an idiot if you don't think Lundqvist, Howard, or Harding could end up being a very solid starter...

And Ellis somehow won't have a chance?

thestonedkoala

Hercules:

Yes, he'll play in Houston and he did get a contract. From some reports, he is really excited. He has played a couple games OUTSIDE of Regina but not regulary. He played awesome during the prospect tourney camp (along with Brust) and he'll have to adjust but he'll be fine I think, since we'll have a Dallas goalie playing with him.

Another thing is we're not looking for Harding to make a jump to starting goalie immediately and hopefully not backup (but I do question Riser's ability to really understand prospects and not throw them to the wolves) either. But as I said Riser is questionable on when to bring in prospects and when not to bring in prospects.

But I think Harding will adjust.

And Ott...my only problem with Ellis is a 23 year old goaltender playing in the ECHL? I mean yeah good, he'll be a starter maybe but maybe not for Dallas unless Turco pulls a Lalime...But I still question, why the hell is a 23 year old in the ECHL?

Derek Gustafson for the Wild ended up in the ECHL and he's a year older. Looked solid in both the AHL, ECHL but floundered in the NHL. But that's not Ellis.

I just question why he was in the ECHL this year and not backing up Smith or Cash? Or is it the age thing and playing time or what?

I don't know as much on Ellis as I do on the others Howard, Lundqvist, and Harding...

But the thing that kind of bugs me is that he is a 23 year old playing in the ECHL when he should be in the AHL if he is that good...

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
thestonedkoala said:
And Ott...my only problem with Ellis is a 23 year old goaltender playing in the ECHL? I mean yeah good, he'll be a starter maybe but maybe not for Dallas unless Turco pulls a Lalime...But I still question, why the hell is a 23 year old in the ECHL?

Derek Gustafson for the Wild ended up in the ECHL and he's a year older. Looked solid in both the AHL, ECHL but floundered in the NHL. But that's not Ellis.

I just question why he was in the ECHL this year and not backing up Smith or Cash? Or is it the age thing and playing time or what?

I don't know as much on Ellis as I do on the others Howard, Lundqvist, and Harding...

But the thing that kind of bugs me is that he is a 23 year old playing in the ECHL when he should be in the AHL if he is that good...

Ellis started out in the AHL last year, it was his first professional hockey league. At the time, Jason Bacashihua was the starter, since that was his 3rd year in the league already it would've been hard steeling away icetime from him. His backup was sophomore Mike Smith, also Dallas Stars property. Now whether Ellis was better or worse was irrelevant, he was a rookie and because of his inexperience unlikely to play many games. He still managed to start in 20 of them before going to the ECHL, where he led the steelheads to the Cup, being named playoff MVP. The Stars had 3 goalie prospects with the Grizzlies, they had to send one to the ECHL to get soem playing time. Their decision was understandable..

Besides, among all of the goalie prospects we had at the time, managament chosed Dan Ellis to start against the LA Kings when Turco was suspended. This was in a tight playoff race so it wasn't just a call-up and a see what he can do. Ellis impressed and we won the game..

Here's a nice article about him if you're interested; LINK

I just don't see why he can't be a starter just because he played some games in the ECHL. Jason Bacashihua never did, but will he ever be a starter? That while he's slightly below Ellis?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Hercules:

Yes, he'll play in Houston and he did get a contract. From some reports, he is really excited. He has played a couple games OUTSIDE of Regina but not regulary. He played awesome during the prospect tourney camp (along with Brust) and he'll have to adjust but he'll be fine I think, since we'll have a Dallas goalie playing with him.

Another thing is we're not looking for Harding to make a jump to starting goalie immediately and hopefully not backup (but I do question Riser's ability to really understand prospects and not throw them to the wolves) either. But as I said Riser is questionable on when to bring in prospects and when not to bring in prospects.

But I think Harding will adjust.

He's obviously played outside Regina, like in the rookie camp and at the WJCs, but leaving Regina to play full-time for another team will definetely have it's effects. He'll probably adjust well, but it'll take a while. Pascal Leclaire had similar problems playing in Syracuse, but I think he's adjusted. It just took him a while.

thestonedkoala

I'm not disagreeing that he'll be a starter but I just question a little bit of his development.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
thestonedkoala said:

You completely missed the point. Of course *all* of them could be solid starters. But they won't.

Because there are only 30 jobs. And all of them are filled. By highly competitive and highly talented people.

thestonedkoala

Uh Roloson is 34 I believe and Fernandez has yet to find consistancy...and Minnesota has yet to draft a capable goaltender...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
rob_paxon said:

Now that's some funny ****! :yo: :bow:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
PecaFan said:
You completely missed the point. Of course *all* of them could be solid starters. But they won't.
Don't be so sure about that. Roloson isn't getting any younger in Minnesota, and anyone of NY's 3 prospects could start for them in the future. The other two will get their chance as well.

To say for sure that they won't be starters is just insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad