How would you like Brown and Zaitsev back for the rest of the year?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Why is it necessary to avoid arbitration with a bad player?
He filled a void after Zaitsev left because the Leafs still needed to dress defencemen. Hainsey , Gardiner and Zaitsev were all gone, Holl barely played last season and we still don't know exactly what we have with Dermott. So yes, we could use him for the season. Ceci isn't a player I would call bad(probably miscast), he's a decent player with playoff experience, which is not exactly a bad thing to have on this Leafs team. If anything, he gave Sandin and Liljegren more time to develop in the minors and now with his injury, he doesn't necessarily need to be moved. So in the end, it worked out even though, it would have worked out regardless because he was only a stop gap until Liljegren and or Sandin were ready

Reactions: Dave92

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
There was no avoiding anything. Ceci wasn’t going to arbitration. They were going to accept the QO.

They wouldn’t risk going to arbitration, and the Leafs walking away, and being left with no leverage in August unsigned

I see, i don't remember how it all went down. I didn't realize Ottawa had given him a QO before the trade.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Zaitsev just isn't a player worth missing. He's not very good and has a bad contract. I love Brown, but he was never going to be more than a 4th liner for the Leafs so I'm fine with cutting him loose and getting rid of Zaitsev in the process

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Hahahahaha

f*** no. Are you high?

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 7.04.28 PM.png

Ceci has been mediocre, but we'd be f***ed with Zaitsev.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 7.08.15 PM.png

Brown is a good player, but not one we could have afforded, and our depth would have continued to kept him buried.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 7.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 7.04.28 PM.png
    514.1 KB · Views: 0

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Brown would still be on our 4th line with Marner, Nylander, and Kapanen here, and you can't just say figure out Zaitsev in the offseason. Maybe a solution like this wouldn't be available, and you'd have to start handing out picks again. 1 of the picks we gave to LA for Campbell+ came from this trade too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I see, i don't remember how it all went down. I didn't realize Ottawa had given him a QO before the trade.

You have to give a player a QO to keep them RFA. He had a QO with Arb rights, the minimum contract you can walk away from was I believe around 300k above the QO. Ceci never would have aimed for that in Arbitration knowing Toronto could walk away. He likely would have accepted the QO. We gave him 200k more than the QO which I didn't really understand, but there wasn't going to be any walking away.

Though it would have been interesting if they did go to arbitration with Toronto asking for the higher number arguing Ceci was better, with Ceci arguing a lower number arguing he was worse both knowing if Toronto wins Toronto walks away. It would have been backwards arbitration. But Ceci never risks that.

Reactions: Dave92

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Zai literally announced to the World he wanted out. If he stayed, Babs will literally screw him up even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad