How would you like Brown and Zaitsev back for the rest of the year?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Rather have Brown out there tonight on his off wing + Zaitsev (total 6.6M) than Johnsson + Ceci (total 7.9M both in the stands doing nothing). Worry about getting rid of Zaitsev in the summer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The way things have panned out with Ceci and Johnsson, it feels like we could have let the Zaitsev situation fester an extra year and kept Brown. But hindsight is 20/20 and this isn't a major gripe since Z is off the books.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
We moved on from them, there's no point in looking back now. The Leafs have better players than both when you look at it. Brown wasn't going to be put into position to have the offensive opportunities he has in Ottawa and Zaitsev simply couldn't handle the minutes he was given. Ultimately, I'd rather have Engvall over Brown and we already know Holl, Barrie and Liljegren are better than Zaitsev. And I say this as someone who was more positive about both players .

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Brown isn't a different player this year than last, he's just taking advantage of an expanded role, and good for him. But I don't think it changes what he already was on this team. Zaitsev - Ceci, I really can't make myself care about. Yeah Ceci sucks but Zaitsev wasn't moving that needle at all and he's gone at the end of the year. Swish.

Yeah I would rather have Brown playing than Johnsson injured given the choice, but what kind of question is that?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
The way things have panned out with Ceci and Johnsson, it feels like we could have let the Zaitsev situation fester an extra year and kept Brown. But hindsight is 20/20 and this isn't a major gripe since Z is off the books.
Brown was stuck on our 4th line. We still have tons of forward depth even with Mikheyev and Johnsson hurt. You're basically asking for long term Zaitsev back instead of the freedom Ceci provides by letting him walk to give a raise/ resign Muzzin and that Engvall extension. Don't hit the panic button please. We all loved Brown but we still have (with 2 forward injuries like I stated) a top 9 of:
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall/Clifford-Spezza-Kapanen

... Brown isn't really needed as much as I liked him. And watch Matty and Marner embarrass Zaitsev tonight. Breathe people lol

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Honestly, it was the right move because it gets Zaitsev's contract off the books while taking on an expiring contract that is now out of the Leafs hands for seemingly the season. I would have liked to have kept Brown, but I'm okay with Engvall . I think he'll end up being a better all around player, while being cheaper , seeing as Brown is an RFA who is already at 2.1 million this year and likely see's an increase dude to him leading the Sens in points with 35.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
delete

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-15_18-1-50.png
    upload_2020-2-15_18-1-50.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 3

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Honestly, it was the right move because it gets Zaitsev's contract off the books while taking on an expiring contract that is now out of the Leafs hands for seemingly the season. I would have liked to have kept Brown, but I'm okay with Engvall . I think he'll end up being a better all around player, while being cheaper , seeing as Brown is an RFA who is already at 2.1 million this year and likely see's an increase dude to him leading the Sens in points with 35.

It wasn't an expiring contract, we signed him.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
With a full roster I don't that Brown would be in the Leaf's top 9 or 10 forwards.

Too pricey for a fourth-line player this year in particular

Reactions: LeafsRus

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Rather have Brown out there tonight on his off wing + Zaitsev (total 6.6M) than Johnsson + Ceci (total 7.9M both in the stands doing nothing). Worry about getting rid of Zaitsev in the summer.

Your username pretty much sums up my thoughts

Reactions: kerk

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It wasn't an expiring contract, we signed him.
Nitpicking a little here lol. He was an RFA on an expired contract , who then was signed and avoided arbitration . He was signed to the minimum you could sign him for.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Nitpicking a little here lol. He was an RFA on an expired contract , who then was signed and avoided arbitration . He was signed to the minimum you could sign him for.

Why is it necessary to avoid arbitration with a bad player?

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Is zaitsev good this year? I know he was good last year in the one playoff round we had with muzzin

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why is it necessary to avoid arbitration with a bad player?

There was no avoiding anything. Ceci wasn’t going to arbitration. They were going to accept the QO.

They wouldn’t risk going to arbitration, and the Leafs walking away, and being left with no leverage in August unsigned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad