Line Combos: How would you fix the power play?

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
For the sake of discussion let's assume that Poile isn't making any more signings or trades this off season except the RFAs. With the personnel available now, what power play units do you put together? What role do you want to see guys in with the man advantage? Any tactical changes you'd like to implement?

To get the ball rolling, who is going to provide the net front presence this year? Will Wilson start using his big frame for that? Might Bourque or Beck see some time on the power play if they're willing to stand in front of the goalie?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
First, we absolutely must have Weber and Josi getting the most PP time. To not have them on the #1PP unit is simply not rational. Then FF-Neal-Ribs. Those five should be able to score goals. They were dominant for much of last year at ES, there is no reason they can't do it on the PP.

Then Wilson Fisher-Smith with Jones and Ellis.

and forget about the umbrella...

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
For the sake of discussion let's assume that Poile isn't making any more signings or trades this off season except the RFAs. With the personnel available now, what power play units do you put together? What role do you want to see guys in with the man advantage? Any tactical changes you'd like to implement?

To get the ball rolling, who is going to provide the net front presence this year? Will Wilson start using his big frame for that? Might Bourque or Beck see some time on the power play if they're willing to stand in front of the goalie?

I haven't followed Nashville so won't presume to add to the topic in any specific way other than to flag that your new acquisition, Hodgson, is the type who produces on the advantage.

He's not your "net presence" type though and thus far hasn't been a big one for digging along the boards, but he's a play maker with hands and a wicked shot. So if your power-play would look better with a kid who can cycle and dish through the slot or take that power shot from the half boards, or even the point (presuming you've got a fast D on the other side to guard against turn-overs becoming break aways, cuz Hodgson's speed is kinda average with a sluggish first step), then he'd be a good addition.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
First, we absolutely must have Weber and Josi getting the most PP time. To not have them on the #1PP unit is simply not rational. Then FF-Neal-Ribs. Those five should be able to score goals. They were dominant for much of last year at ES, there is no reason they can't do it on the PP.

Then Wilson Fisher-Smith with Jones and Ellis.

and forget about the umbrella...

Just visually speaking, I thought our PP looked far more dangerous when there was lots of movement and the threat of d-men cutting to the circles or back door. Weber being the least mobile of the 4 PP d-men, and due to his shot, tends to force us into a more static set-up. I'd like for Lavy to give some serious thought to pairing Ellis/Jones and Josi together to create that same kind of dynamic. Weber's shot is still too potent to not have out there, but we need to create another primary threat with our PP in order to prevent teams from closing down the Weber point shot.

See if any of Watson, Beck, Bourque, or Wilson can help Fisher out by being the screen/front of the net guy for one of the units.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Two problems with powerplay too much passing and too little finish loof at the PP results over the past 3 years. One thing that killed them last season was Weber If I recall right he had 5 ppg last season and 12 the year before.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I could care less about who's out there as much as I'd like to see more motion of our players. Our guys go to a position and stay there rather than move around and cause the d to move with them. Watch great teams and great PP's and you'll see a lot more movement. If we stand still it's easier to defend against.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Yeah time to use our new found speed and youth to create havoc with the man advantage. No more of the stuck in cement along the boards crap. Get Ellis, Forsberg, Ribiero, Fisher and Weber out there and rotate Josi in Webers spot.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Start by not waiting until mid December to score the second PPG at home. After that point, the team went 17 for 77 ... over 22% on the PP at home.

59/6 ... 18/63/33

3/4 .... 9/12/15

Two groups that can score from the point ... at least one guy willing to go near the net on each forward grouping (Fisher and Wilson). We missed Hornqvist in his role on the PP this year.

The wildcards are what kids make the squad (Watson) and how Hodgson plays this year.

No forwards on the point. Be willing to take the safe play and work it deep rather than blast it off a forward's shins and give up the shorthanded breakaway.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Start by not waiting until mid December to score the second PPG at home. After that point, the team went 17 for 77 ... over 22% on the PP at home.

59/6 ... 18/63/33

3/4 .... 9/12/15

Two groups that can score from the point ... at least one guy willing to go near the net on each forward grouping (Fisher and Wilson). We missed Hornqvist in his role on the PP this year.

The wildcards are what kids make the squad (Watson) and how Hodgson plays this year.

No forwards on the point. Be willing to take the safe play and work it deep rather than blast it off a forward's shins and give up the shorthanded breakaway.

How is the d stacked? Cuz if you don't have the R/L heavy point shots from your defense but you can get that from a forward who is defensively sound and has the wheels, then I wouldn't arbitrarily say no forwards on point...

Totally got you on the shin bouncing though. Well, unless you've got such a hot shot on your blue line that it begets the wear 'n tear of intimidation effect... :D

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
How is the d stacked? Cuz if you don't have the R/L heavy point shots from your defense but you can get that from a forward who is defensively sound and has the wheels, then I wouldn't arbitrarily say no forwards on point...

Totally got you on the shin bouncing though. Well, unless you've got such a hot shot on your blue line that it begets the wear 'n tear of intimidation effect... :D

PP1 Shea Weber/Roman Josi
PP2 Ryan Ellis/Seth Jones

and yeah have you not heard about Weber's shot:D

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Oh his for sure, lol. It's the others, well, um, nope. Gotta say.

Actually, the more I lurk around the Preds board, the more I just don't get how they didn't get the cup last year cuz it seems like there just ain't no gaps...

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
If Hodgson is capable of running the 2nd pp unit I would form the two groups like this.

1st unit

Forsberg-Wilson (net)-Ribeiro (running the play)

Weber-Josi

I think it is important not to use Neal in this group because we need his shot and because Ribeiro is the key to this unit setting up Forsberg and Weber it is useless to have Neal in the mix (Ribeiro can't set him up properly from the right wall).

2nd unit

Hodgson (running the play)-Fisher (net)-Neal (shot)

Ellis-Jones

Here we can use Neal properly. Hodgson and Ellis can set him up and I think this way he can contribute much better than in the 1st unit. Only downside is that Jones and Ellis are both RHD, but they have handled it before and I don't think it will be a big problem.

Other three forwards that can contribute in the PP are Smith, Moses and Fiala. I am sure they will all get a chance at PP (Smith probably is playing in the PP but in my opinion he is not creative enough) and could easily break into these groups. I don't say Lavi has to run these two groups but this is just my opinion (if Hodgson is the player I expect him to be)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
If Hodgson is capable of running the 2nd pp unit I would form the two groups like this.

1st unit

Forsberg-Wilson (net)-Ribeiro (running the play)

Weber-Josi

I think it is important not to use Neal in this group because we need his shot and because Ribeiro is the key to this unit setting up Forsberg and Weber it is useless to have Neal in the mix (Ribeiro can't set him up properly from the right wall).

2nd unit

Hodgson (running the play)-Fisher (net)-Neal (shot)

Ellis-Jones

Here we can use Neal properly. Hodgson and Ellis can set him up and I think this way he can contribute much better than in the 1st unit. Only downside is that Jones and Ellis are both RHD, but they have handled it before and I don't think it will be a big problem.

Other three forwards that can contribute in the PP are Smith, Moses and Fiala. I am sure they will all get a chance at PP (Smith probably is playing in the PP but in my opinion he is not creative enough) and could easily break into these groups. I don't say Lavi has to run these two groups but this is just my opinion (if Hodgson is the player I expect him to be)

I like this idea. The one thing I would say, if possible, We should try to get a forward who can plays Hornqvists game. I think part of Weber's lack of production last year on the PP was due to no one being willing to stand in front of the net for him.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I could care less about who's out there as much as I'd like to see more motion of our players. Our guys go to a position and stay there rather than move around and cause the d to move with them. Watch great teams and great PP's and you'll see a lot more movement. If we stand still it's easier to defend against.

Agreed. At times it looked like EA Sports NHL AI playing there. Frozen in their designated positions. Too many shots were blocked by the first defender.

I watched some PP goals by Neal in Pittsburgh and thought why won't they take more advantage of what he can do out there? I agree they should try him in the second unit utilizing that shot or creating space

I'm not totally against breaking Weber-Josi for PP either. With Ribs and FF already capable of making good plays and feeding Weber in PP1, having Josi's puck skills and shot to boost the secnd unit doesn't sound that bad either.

Either way, I'm looking forward to see if they stubbornly bang their heads against the closest defender next season or have they figured out ways to get the puck to the net more often.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Lock Ribeiro in a room with Goose until he can win 50% of the faceoffs.
Hard to get anything going when half the PP is spent going to get the puck from Rinne.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's infuriating to see our powerplay units just standing still.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't know how I would fix it, but if it gets fixed we are a much more of a threat next year. This year it was just getting the puck from Rinne. I would use Bourque to screen the goalie.

Last edited:

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I've given this a lot of thought since the season ended. Now, bear with me as I am thinking a bit outside the box here.

Also, I have to give credit to the guy sitting behind me last season. He inspired me to come up with this idea.

I really think the team's power play will show a lot of improvement if we can get more people in the arena to shout 'SHOOOOOT!!!!' every time the puck it touched. I know it is a little on the cutting edge, but you guys will appreciate it I imagine.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Montross, I think you've struck solid gold there.

I've been saying for a couple of seasons that if I was Beck or any of the other guys struggling to find a place on the roster I'd be BEGGING the coach to let me work on screening the goalie and try to earn a living on the power play. And then I'd invest a lot of money in the absolute best hard-shell pads money can buy.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

If Weber is going to keep moving into the Ovechkin dot on the PP for the slap shot he needs a forward on the weak net side close for a slap pass & redirection on goal. The slap shot from Weber in that position is so predictable that he needs to have an alternative play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad