How would you fix the DOPS?

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
All the media freaks out about this but none of them said a word when Kadri skated up to a guy and crosschecked him in the face.

Then they cried when he got 3-5 games "because he was sticking up for a teammate".
It was weird that I saw this on local news here in LA when they basically don't even cover the Kings here. lol

Sep 19, 2008
This was a good call but they've botched others in the past like foegel on oshie and Kane on Gudas

Just be consistent

You can't only mete discipline out on Wilson

I've seen so many other hits this year where the DOPS didn't call shit. Get rid of the wheel of justice

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Vote a new chairman, get rid of brain damaged Parros and replace them with someone competent. Who actually thought putting a fourth line plug who took punches to the head for a living would be a good choice for the head of dops ?

Thought it was a habs thing. Saw clear blind side head shots on Armia and Kotkaneimi this year being completely ignored. Thought maybe Parros doesn’t like his former team. But now, I think that last Colton Orr slam to the ice killed that last Brain cell Parros had left. Get the hell out and get help Parros.

Reactions: Kurtz
Sep 19, 2008
No one go to the caps board rn. Like I get it’s kinda fun to be the bad guy, but honestly it’s kinda gross reading the conversation there. I’d like to think if tkachuk did this I wouldn’t be defending this type of behaviour.
You're lurking in caps territory not sure what you expected lol

Reactions: Neil Racki

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
hire a panel of people to make decisions that includes a sports physician, maybe 1-2 players, and then former referees or something similar. Having a random former player as the head of the dept is the issue. These guys are not qualified to be in the position they're in

Next thing you know, they will hire Dr Mark Recchi.

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I think they need to stop considering injury as part of the equation. I see multiple hits in the year that get nothing because the guy pops right back up and plays on. A dangerous hit is just that, we shouldn't have to wait until someone ends up in a wheelchair before the league does something.

This.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Wait til Tom Wilson retires from hockey and give him the position.

he has been involved in hits on both ends - and been treated fairly and very unfairly (most times) - like this season when he was first player in nhl history to get suspended for that kind of hit.

He’s a smart guy, physical and understands the game, a winner who has been involved in regular season games, Stanley cup games, etc.

not trying to troll. He’d be great at it. He has seen all sides and been treated more unfair than any player in dops history. He knows more than anyone at this point.

thanks for another laugh

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Perhaps it is time for the DoPS to be under the umbrella of the NHLPA. That way they are policing themselves.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Never going to "fix" the DOPs because you cant "fix" fandom and bias.....

Caps fans are going, nothing there, Ranger fans are going OMG he should be charged for attempted murder.

Plus, you need to get the NHLPA onboard with any type of discipline etc, good luck with that.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
The NHL wants it there to say we are protecting players. They don’t want to suspend players, they want the product on the ice as much as possible. The NHLPA doesn’t even want it there. No union wants its employer to have disciplinary powers over its members. They sure as hell won’t vote to increase fines or suspensions. So who here has any motivation to fix DOPS?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
DOPS panel that reviews these hits/incidents should consist of 9 total people:

2 retired goon-type players

2 retired skilled-type players

2 former Lady Byng winners

2 former NHL referees with a good record

And me.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Perhaps it is time for the DoPS to be under the umbrella of the NHLPA. That way they are policing themselves.
As if that would change a f***ing thing. The NHLPA exists to protect guys like Wilson from retribution for his actions, not to protect the rest of the players from him.

Hell, Tom Wilson is the NHLPA rep for the Caps, so fat chance that organization would even give him a slap on the wrist for anything he does.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm not giving my opinion as to whether things should or shouldn't change but if you want it to change then you need to fix the officiating first. The league has repeatedly set a standard for what they'll allow. Punches after the whistle, slew foots, repeated cross checks in front of the net, wrestling after the whistle, cross checks to the back when someone is on the ice, face washes, you name it... all of this is seen as just "part of the game." The DOPS said as much when they issued their ruling on Wilson; they said that wrestling with Panarin was something that happens every night multiple times a night -- that is the root of the issue. "What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own." The league permits all of this stuff and then people get big mad when players cross an imaginary line based on arbitrary interpretations of the rules and "respect" for the game.

The natural progression of things is that all of that extracurricular stuff is now part of the DNA of the game. There's no clear standard for what is a penalty and what isn't and refs are (admittedly, in some cases) managing the game by calling some stuff and not calling others. DOPS and supplemental discipline is secondary to establishing what the league will allow and getting consistent enforcement of the rules on the ice.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I'm not giving my opinion as to whether things should or shouldn't change but if you want it to change then you need to fix the officiating first. The league has repeatedly set a standard for what they'll allow. Punches after the whistle, slew foots, repeated cross checks in front of the net, wrestling after the whistle, cross checks to the back when someone is on the ice, face washes, you name it... all of this is seen as just "part of the game." The DOPS said as much when they issued their ruling on Wilson; they said that wrestling with Panarin was something that happens every night multiple times a night -- that is the root of the issue. "What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own." The league permits all of this stuff and then people get big mad when players cross an imaginary line based on arbitrary interpretations of the rules and "respect" for the game.

The natural progression of things is that all of that extracurricular stuff is now part of the DNA of the game. There's no clear standard for what is a penalty and what isn't and refs are (admittedly, in some cases) managing the game by calling some stuff and not calling others. DOPS and supplemental discipline is secondary to establishing what the league will allow and getting consistent enforcement of the rules on the ice.
No. None of those incidents have prompted a discussion 3 threads long and calls for change among the DoPS. Tom Wilson prompted these discussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad