Line Combos: How Would You Fix the Blues' Ailing Power Play?

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Well I guess I disagree with everyone.

I love our power play.

Don't fix what's not broken IMO.

First off, we have better offensive zone entry then ever before. When, besides MacInnis days, have you seen us walk in like this? Dump and chase is over. We now have the skill and patience to maintain possession through the neutral zone.

Inside the perimeter passing is incredible. Winepeg fans were furious their PK was so weak as to let such passing happen down low.

All in all, we have two great PP units IMO.

Schenn and Schwartz aren't even first line power play.

We have such great offensives forwards that Kyrou and Thoms can't crack either PP unit.

Reactions: Bendak

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Well I guess I disagree with everyone.

I love our power play.

Don't fix what's not broken IMO.

First off, we have better offensive zone entry then ever before. When, besides MacInnis days, have you seen us walk in like this? Dump and chase is over. We now have the skill and patience to maintain possession through the neutral zone.

Inside the perimeter passing is incredible. Winepeg fans were furious their PK was so weak as to let such passing happen down low.

All in all, we have two great PP units IMO.

Schenn and Schwartz aren't even first line power play.

We have such great offensives forwards that Kyrou and Thoms can't crack either PP unit.
I mean...these 2 games it has looked alright, but you have to remember that the 82 games before these 2 games, we were 2nd to last. I'm hesitant to say that I "love" the powerplay until I see a larger sample size. It looks promising, I'll give you that.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I mean...these 2 games it has looked alright, but you have to remember that the 82 games before these 2 games, we were 2nd to last. I'm hesitant to say that I "love" the powerplay until I see a larger sample size. It looks promising, I'll give you that.
Fair enough.
Do you like the puck movement now or last year?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues PP has looked okay so far this season. Having right-handed shooters on it helps a lot. I'm a LOT more worried about team defence, and a lot of decisions Yeo is making, and Allen still having confidence problems, and his falling back into old bad habits.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I agree that team defense is more worrisome than the PP. I definitely see improvement on the PP, and the passing has improved. One thing I find perplexing, though, is why is Maroon standing beside the net? Is he looking for wrap-arounds? I thought he would be more effective standing in front, acting like a screen.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Fair enough.
Do you like the puck movement now or last year?
This year it has definitely improved so far. It actually feels like we're moving the puck around for a reason. Last year it was like there was no purpose to it, we would just throw it around to make it look like we were doing something, but it would always end in a blocked shot or a bad pass/turnover.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
PP was much better last night. More talent, more creativity, better puck control, less just fire it from points and hope for best.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
As long as goalies keep shitting the bed when trying to play pucks the PP will be humming!

In all seriousness, the first unit looks fine. Second unit is bad. In general though they still have too much difficulty gaining the zone, and when they do get it setup, it’s fairly predictable.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Our second unit is STRAIGHT TRASH. And it is purely personnel.

Unit 1: Maroon, Bozak, Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Parayko/Dunn/Pietrangelo

This unit is moving the puck well, but it purely centers around Tarasenko, O'Reilly and the point defenseman. I would like to see Bozak dropped for Kyrou/Thomas, someone who will be more mobile and has cross ice vision.
Tarasenko should be on the RW half-wall where he belongs, with Kyrou/Thomas on the LW half-wall. This gives us one timers, it gives us mobility with them streaking up and down the half wall, and it gives a great angle for shots.

Unit 2: Schwartz Schenn Perron Steen Pietrangelo (usually)

This unit cannot gain the zone, partially due to their inability to use speed entering the zone, they lean towards a dump and chase technique which is wholly unsuccessful. This unit needs to drop steen, and bring in either Dunn for a 2D/3F group, or one of the youngins, or even drop bozak. Leaves Schenn in slot, Schwartz in the RW, Bozak LW, Pietrangelo/Dunnpoint and Perron interchanging with Schenn at netfront and slot.

I need to look for some video of other teams power plays and display what I like to see from the half wall players. I want to see more skating with the puck opening space and seeing them curl from the point and attack to shrink the box

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
41 replies and not one person has said the obvious - continually talk the opposing goalie into passing the puck to Perron to put into an empty net. If they can continually do that all season, I think their PP can finish top-10.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Ok, serious reply.

Yes, they’ve gotten some lucky bounces on the PP so far but it does look better so far this season. It doesn’t look great but they are moving it more and shooting more so for now, I’ll take that.

There are a ton of issues I’m seeing the first 4 games and quite simply the PP isn’t remotely high on that list IMO. It’s the coverage and puck support that’s been horrendous.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ok, serious reply.

Yes, they’ve gotten some lucky bounces on the PP so far but it does look better so far this season. It doesn’t look great but they are moving it more and shooting more so for now, I’ll take that.

There are a ton of issues I’m seeing the first 4 games and quite simply the PP isn’t remotely high on that list IMO. It’s the coverage and puck support that’s been horrendous.
His other issues aside, PP looked better with Dunn in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad