How would you do the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
here is mine

Every team starts with 3 balls

- You get 1 taken away if you have won the cup the last 4 seasons (since 2000)

- You get 1 taken away if you have had the rights to the 1st overall pick in the last 4 seasons (since 2000)

Basically most teams get a fair shot. The few who dont are the ones who have either triumphed recently with a Cup, or already won a lottery in the recent past.

All the teams in the middle of the pack "get rewarded" and all the teams who "lose balls" cant complain because they have already had their chance.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
every team gets the same precentage chances. But 1 ball for each team and have one randomly pulled after another. You can't use past records. Only fair way is to have all teams equal, and if you think that sucks for your team, tell Bettman and the other idiots, it's their fault.

NYIsles1*

drbill28 said:
I
But you'll never get the Rangers off the high end of the list. The only way to do that is to say they don't deserve it and take it away.
The Rangers in the last seven years have only finished low enough in the standings once to even be in a lottery for the first overall pick. (1999) That's why if your going to put them on the high end of any list all teams should be there.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
icelanders said:
here is mine

Every team starts with 3 balls

- You get 1 taken away if you have won the cup the last 4 seasons (since 2000)

- You get 1 taken away if you have had the rights to the 1st overall pick in the last 4 seasons (since 2000)

Basically most teams get a fair shot. The few who dont are the ones who have either triumphed recently with a Cup, or already won a lottery in the recent past.

All the teams in the middle of the pack "get rewarded" and all the teams who "lose balls" cant complain because they have already had their chance.
I agree with this. I'd add the second round should be in reversed order as the first, snake the entire draft.

A Good Flying Bird*

MikeJones said:
There is no reason why the NHL should allow Crosby to go to a bad team. As I proved in my thread (that was deleted), the NHL is best served by having Crosby playing for a good team in a big US market.

Deleted?
I wondered where it went. I was going to check the rant, but who in their right mind would sift through that?

bbad

Feb 16, 2004
You know before today I only wanted a weighted draft, because I felt it would give my team a better chance at Crosby or a top 10 pick. But after reading other posts and thinking about what is truelly fair, I feel that an equal oppertunity draft should take place. After all, every team except for the large spending teams is already going to go into the new CBA looking to add talented free-agents and improve their team. But most of the teams with a reduced chance of winning the Crosby draft are going into the new CBA looking at who to lose to make Cap room. Their fans deserve an equal level of excitement at the possibility of a high draft pick since it way be their only positive outside of watching NHL hockey again. Where as the rest of us if we don't get a top ten pick will still have the excitement of added free agents and a return of a near complete team.

Mikita

May 27, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Bottom line ...

Big $$$ teams (Det Col Tort NY etc) feel ilke they are giving in and surrendering the most with a low Salary Cap and possible Tax. They will possibly lose players as these teams try to get under the Cap. They want a bone thrown their way. OK everyone gets 1 ball in the lotto.

Losing teams deserve a ball because they have losing teams. Go back over the last 2 years and add a ball for every year you werent in the playoffs.

max would be 3 balls, min 1 ball.

Go with a serentine draft - Last in 1st rd --- is 1st in 2nd rd --- etc etc

Last edited:

drbill28

Feb 25, 2003
Pomfret Center, CT
Visit site
NYIsles1 said:
The Rangers in the last seven years have only finished low enough in the standings once to even be in a lottery for the first overall pick. (1999) That's why if your going to put them on the high end of any list all teams should be there.
As I said, the only way to get the out of a high draft sport in any sort of weighted system based on point, playoffs, draft picks, or anything. Is to remove them by choice. It's an anomaly and there's not much one can do about it. Except to give all teams one ball. But it doesn't make a weighted system any less fair.

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
we should bid for the 1st pick, and all the money goes to the nhl.

alright im j/k , obviously a leaf fan i am.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
ToMaLe said:
Not sure how the draft will be decided. probably some kind of a weighted system. Since we obviously cant go by last years stats how about this format. All teams that won the cup in the last 5 years gets 1 ball and every five year segment before that gets 1 more ball with a maximun of 5. So in other words:

1 ball = Tampa Bay, New Jersy, Detroit and Colorado
2 balls = Dallas
3 balls = New York Rangers, Montreal, Pittsburg and Edmonton
4 balls = Calgary
5 balls = All other teams

worst ever...your accounting cup wins from over a decade ago. Half those players are retired.

My opinion is that the lotto should be slightly favoured to certain teams by overall records over the last 5 yrs and also by implementing the payrolls at the end of 2003/2004 season as a factor. That would be fair because in the interest of fairness Detroit and Colorado don't even deserve a ball because there is no way they would have finished bottom 5.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Snake style is not ideal, since the order in the first round is way more important than the order in subsequent rounds. The team that gets Crosby shouldn't also get the 1st pick in the 3rd round, 5th round, 7th round, etc.

Pick them 1-30. ALL subsequent rounds should be reversed 30-1 - so the team that gets Crosby picks last in every other round.

Better yet, you should try to construct the draft order so that the 30 drafting positions are as equal as possible (so the team that gets Crosby gets 9 late round picks, etc.)

So in a four round example you'd do something like this:

1st round: 1-30

2nd round: 30-16, 30-26, 15-11, 25-21

3rd round: 10-06, 20-11, 30-16

4th round: 05-03, 15-01, 10-01, 02-01

Just an example off the top of my head - in reality you could assign a value to all the draft picks, agreed upon by a group of GMs (the 1st pick is worth 1000 points, the 15th is worth 350, etc - and get a computer program to optimize the draft so everyone gets as equal valued picks as possible)

The team that wins the lottery can choose which slot it picks in (obviously number 1 - but spot 16 in my example would likely be chosen before spot 15)

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Lexicon Devil said:
Snake style is not ideal, since the order in the first round is way more important than the order in subsequent rounds. The team that gets Crosby shouldn't also get the 1st pick in the 3rd round, 5th round, 7th round, etc.

Pick them 1-30. ALL subsequent rounds should be reversed 30-1 - so the team that gets Crosby picks last in every other round.

That is the system I have come to favour. It makes the draft much more even. Drafting top 10 becomes a big plus then a series of small negatives.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
ToMaLe said:
Not sure how the draft will be decided. probably some kind of a weighted system. Since we obviously cant go by last years stats how about this format. All teams that won the cup in the last 5 years gets 1 ball and every five year segment before that gets 1 more ball with a maximun of 5. So in other words:

1 ball = Tampa Bay, New Jersy, Detroit and Colorado
2 balls = Dallas
3 balls = New York Rangers, Montreal, Pittsburg and Edmonton
4 balls = Calgary
5 balls = All other teams

LOL. I wonder why you decided on that system, one that uses 25 years of history :biglaugh:

I think the system that is rumored (all teams start with 4, minus 1 for each year making the playoffs/winning lottery in passed 3 years; with minumum of one ball each). And not because NYR gets the best shot, but because it seems reasonable that we use the last couple of years basing it on playoff appearances. Remember, in a given year, a team can only be in the lottery if you miss the playoffs, so this system which bases itself on playoff appearances in the passed 3 years is the best.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Rancid said:
worst ever...your accounting cup wins from over a decade ago. Half those players are retired.

My opinion is that the lotto should be slightly favoured to certain teams by overall records over the last 5 yrs and also by implementing the payrolls at the end of 2003/2004 season as a factor. That would be fair because in the interest of fairness Detroit and Colorado don't even deserve a ball because there is no way they would have finished bottom 5.
By far the worse ive heard yet....yours would never be implemented....payrolls dont have a thing to do with anything....and what about the last 5 years?....making the playoffs dont mean a dam thing, the only thing that matters are cup wins...im just going for how long fans have suffered without a cup.....20 teams with 5 balls and the latest cup winners getting 1 and some in between.....im thinking about the fans not the teams....your dont make any sense at all...you think detroit and colorado fans would like your proposal? im sure they would say it sucks!

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
nyrmessier011 said:
LOL. I wonder why you decided on that system, one that uses 25 years of history :biglaugh:

I think the system that is rumored (all teams start with 4, minus 1 for each year making the playoffs/winning lottery in passed 3 years; with minumum of one ball each). And not because NYR gets the best shot, but because it seems reasonable that we use the last couple of years basing it on playoff appearances. Remember, in a given year, a team can only be in the lottery if you miss the playoffs, so this system which bases itself on playoff appearances in the passed 3 years is the best.
Why do i use 25 years of history?....your a ranger fan arent you? figure it our yourself!.....losing balls for making the playoffs is the dumbest thing ever...big deal a team makes the playoffs....what does that have to do with anything?....nothing... the only thing that matters is winning the cup....and if you use your brain 20 teams get 5 balls not just the leafs as i can tell your trying to imply...of course you dont like it cuz the rangers dont get 5 balls!

MontrealCruiser_83*

ToMaLe said:
Thanks for verifing what i said earlier....the only posters who dumps on everyone are habs fans....they never have anything constructive to say, as in your post of course, on how the draft should be done, just open your arogant mouth and put people down....as i said earlier the Leafs wouldnt have any better shot at # 1 as 20 other teams...thats heavily rewarded as you say?.....sorry pal but ive seen more brains in a retarted clam then you!! and thanks for calling me a genius, sorry i couldnt return the favour!!
Looks like your idea got rave rewiews. If somebody with less brains than a Pejorative Slured clam managed to predict it, then I think it speaks volumes about your hockey acumen. Or rather, lack thereof.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
30 teams, 30 balls:

Mock:

1. TORONTO - Sidney Crosby, C
2. CHICAGO - Benoit Pouliot, C
3. BOSTON - Jack Johnson, D
4. DALLAS - Bobby Ryan, W
5. SAN JOSE - Anze Kopitar, C
6. OTTAWA - Gilbet Brule, C
7. CAROLINA - Marc Staal, D
8. PHILADELPHIA - Ryan O'Marra, C
9. PITTSBURGH - Guillaume Latendresse, W
10. COLORADO - Jack Skille, W
11. NY ISLANDERS - Marek Zagrapan - C
12. ANAHEIM - Luc Bourdon, D
13. VANCOUVER - Carey Price, G
14. NEW JERSEY - Martin Hanzal, C
15. MONTREAL - Alex Bourret, C
16. EDMONTON - Kendall McArdle, W
17. ST. LOUIS - Brian Lee, D
18. DETROIT - Niklas Bergfors, W
19. WASHINGTON - Ryan Stoa, W
20. TAMPA BAY - Brendan Mikkelson, D
21. NASHVILLE - Andrew Cogliano, C
22. LOS ANGELES - Tuukka Rask, G
23. BUFFALO - Ryan Parent, D
24. FLORIDA - Dan Bertram, C
25. NY RANGERS - Michael Blunden, W
26. CALGARY - Devin Setoguchi, W
27. PHOENIX - Ondrej Pavelec, G
28. ATLANTA - Jakub Kindl, D
29. COLUMBUS - Scott Jackson, D
30. MINNESOTA - Chris Durand, C & Matt Lashoff, D... ...snake order

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Komisarek8 said:
Toronto Maple Leafs might be the team that gave up the most in this lockout and they wanted to go for one more cup run with all the old players they have. What position do you think the Leafs will be in next season? THey are going to have trouble, you know it and I know it. Stop Being such a hater. Make it fair for everybody.

Your unbiased opinion is much appreciated, my friend.

All I ever hear from people is that they think the Leafs are going to struggle, but that they should also have no chance at a high draft pick. I'm glad there's someone out there who realizes that you can't have it both ways.

This goes far beyond my alliegence to the Leafs though. I could honestly care less if Crosby ends up in Tampa, Washington, Ottawa, Chicago, Colorado or anywhere in between. As long as it's decided fairly. And being that the draft is based on results (of which there were none), the ONLY fair way to do this is 1 ball for each team. Washington should not be rewarded for throwing in the towel at an opportune time, and Toronto should not be penalized for trying to get one last cup run out of an aging roster, while spending well within their means. Toronto paid for this last draft, where their first pick was 90th over all. Washington was rewarded for thier actions by getting an almost sure-fire franchise player in Ovetchkin. Does it make any sense to repeat this process again?

The ideal solution is to draft next year (when actual results will be available to base it on), but since that won't happen:

30 teams, 30 balls, snake the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad