How would you “fix” the NHL

EazyE1

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
I loved hockey back in the 90’s and early 2000’s and as I got older, the game is definitely not as much fun to watch and I have more excitement for the NFL. After watching movies like Ice Guardians, you can see the game isn’t the same.

Just curious, if given control over the NHL what would be your priorities?

Youre asking how to fix the NHL while saying the NFL is more exciting in the same post..? Not gonna even respond to that childish nonsense. Soccer is more exciting than football and I hate soccer. smh

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I've always thought that the game has become way too congested to the point where there is no room to work with on the ice, and the game turns into a contest of who can deflect their shots the best from the point. The players are too big, the equipment is too large, the nets are too small, and the rink is too small. It's hard to watch at times.

I'd say make it 4v4 (not counting the goalie):
  • 1 center
  • 1 winger (central winger, can play either side of the ice)
  • 2 defensemen
Widen the rinks to IIHF size AND increase net size.

That way, this helps the more skilled players dominate and showcase why they are who they are, and you will take out a significant amount of "luck" attached to the sport. It will shift more towards skill/talent vs. variance/parity. The best teams will usually win in this case.
Yes!! Great ideas

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Bring back the hate and passion in the game. God I miss hockey from the mid 2000’s

i miss the days where you would get excited to see a Pittsburgh/Philly , Habs/Bruins, Flames/Oilers, Islanders vs Rangers game because you knew for sure there was going to be some bad blood.

Nowadays it feels like a video game, a bunch of friends playing around waiting to get a PP to score a goal.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Bring back the hate and passion in the game. God I miss hockey from the mid 2000’s

i miss the days where you would get excited to see a Pittsburgh/Philly , Habs/Bruins, Flames/Oilers, Islanders vs Rangers game because you knew for sure there was going to be some bad blood.

Nowadays it feels like a video game, a bunch of friends playing around waiting to get a PP to score a goal.
I wish for players to actually give a damn about checking as well. Make the players understand that there is more than just finesse and skill. The entire idea of a "power forward" is dead as well because nobody wants to forecheck at all. Hell, some teams flat out refuse to hit as well. It's really down to the whole "well we had ton's of concussions so lets not do the same mistakes", but when you remove them, hockey isn't the same as it once was. 2000's hockey was brutal and fun. Now it's fun but without the joy of fights or linebrawls or even the actual effort of a rivalry.

Can't wait for ESPN to dump us on their 2nd channel always as well over some shitty basketball game like Kings Grizzlies

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
More hits and fighting.

The game desperately needs an injection of emotion and intensity.

You won't appeal to new fans with the watered down sterilized version of hockey there is now

Reactions: Chungo2

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
More hits and fighting.

The game desperately needs an injection of emotion and intensity.

You won't appeal to new fans with the watered down sterilized version of hockey there is now
Not just an injection, but an overall better marketing to fans. the NHL needs to learn that these kids like players today. If the NHL doesn't get players who market themselves as someone larger than life, why should they care about the sport? I want to see more players who advertise themselves as a good personality, while not trying to be a dick or flaunting as a result. Give me the actual showcase of rivalries as well, not just Penguins Capitals again when it hasn't been the same intensity as it was years ago

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fire every executive and start over. Hire a diverse collection of hockey people who will not hire and rehire the same "ole boys" who have been running this sport for so long.
Hiring a diverse collection of hockey people... isn't that already starting a good ole boys club?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's hilarious how people think the game was more fun in the 90s and that the playoffs are the most fun hockey, so the solution to making the regular season like that?

Call garbage penalties for every little contact, shotblock, interference etc.

LOL.

Let the players play. Less penalties = better hockey.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Install puck motion detectors or some high tech contraption in goal nets so that even when a puck acrosses the goal line so quickly you can't tell whether it went in or not, the detector would trigger a light of some sort as a signal of goal being scored. No more time wasted guessing and watching replays.

Reactions: dalewood12

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
Install puck motion detectors or some high tech contraption in goal nets so that even when a puck acrosses the goal line so quickly you can't tell whether it went in or not, the detector would trigger a light of some sort as a signal of goal being scored. No more time wasted guessing and watching replays.

There was a guy in Ontario that invented this and it even made national news. I still can’t believe that it hasn’t been implemented yet.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I loved hockey back in the 90’s and early 2000’s and as I got older, the game is definitely not as much fun to watch and I have more excitement for the NFL. After watching movies like Ice Guardians, you can see the game isn’t the same.

Just curious, if given control over the NHL what would be your priorities?

I would just call all holding. End of story.

I would move a second team to Toronto (Leafs get permanent royalties but team is not located near Buffalo but north or way west in Waterloo). Arizona is my candidate but I'm open to other teams moving.

I would create a permanent all-Canadian division which would keep people engaged until the final four every year and maybe the finals. The Canadian division would be a trophy within itself. Montreal almost has that status this year. Americans may not care but the Canadian TV deal is outsized relative to size of market. (Quebec City is a non-starter. Taxes, language, location. Same problems will happen.)

I would allow teams to trade cap at the deadline and only at the deadline and only for ONE YEAR.

I would allow teams to "buy out" NMC clauses but if you pay a player say $1 M, that now counts against your cap for every year the clause is moved.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
this assumes the league is broke. say what you want bettman has been great for the sport. a small minority of people want 80's and 90's hockey. most of them just watch MMA if they want to watch humans ragdoll eachother.

Reactions: Choralone

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

I would move a second team to Toronto (Leafs get permanent royalties but team is not located near Buffalo but north or way west in Waterloo). Arizona is my candidate but I'm open to other teams moving.

I would create a permanent all-Canadian division which would keep people engaged until the final four every year and maybe the finals. The Canadian division would be a trophy within itself. Montreal almost has that status this year. Americans may not care but the Canadian TV deal is outsized relative to size of market. (Quebec City is a non-starter. Taxes, language, location. Same problems will happen.)

I would allow teams to trade cap at the deadline and only at the deadline and only for ONE YEAR.

I would allow teams to "buy out" NMC clauses but if you pay a player say $1 M, that now counts against your cap for every year the clause is moved.

Times zones and travel costs be damned.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Times zones and travel costs be damned.

He's right with the Canadian division , but to solve your time zone problem i would create two Canadien divisions : Can est and Can west.

Having two candien division would be a great thing for the NHL. I didnt do the math and didnt rearange the other divisions , but i would create multiple smaller divisions including two Canadiens ones. What i would do with the playoffs is that the winner of each div would be automaticly in the playoffs . This way it would guarantee having a minimum of two Candians teams in the playoffs each year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad