How would you “fix” the NHL

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Also

Relocate every southern team and make the NHL stay in actual markets who care for their team

Mar 20, 2010
Hi, 25 all stars would sign to $2.4 million dollars deals each and rig the cup.

And about 15 teams will be folding.

Point taken but I don't think even if it were the "Top 25" players in the league that they would be even close to a lock to win in the NHL. But even then, the downside risk would make for compelling TV as they would be losing 6M-10M+ each for every season they failed to win the Cup.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Point taken but I don't think even if it were the "Top 25" players in the league that they would be even close to a lock to win in the NHL. But even then, the downside risk would make for compelling TV as they would be losing 8M-10M+ each for every season they failed to win the Cup.

Winning team gets $140m, that alone is worth 10 years of time, not counting other revenues being increased like mad for having an insane team.

By 25 all stars I mean all stars in their positions.

You can put together a dream team that focuses on winning, period. Remember 2010 Team Canada?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It doesn’t really need fixing at all, just a few tweaks.
1. Tighten LTIR, Tampa did nothing wrong so we need to stop bit chi by because they used it better than everyone else. However, the loop holes need closing.
2. Consistent refereeing, no game management. Teams letting in 5 ppl per game will soon learn.
3. Dept of player safety. Consistency of suspensions… my biggest gripe.

Also for those advocating a 3 point system, I’ve seen that render the regular season effectively over and pointless at the 2/3 mark. It was abandoned after 1 season and would be a disaster in the NHL.
Also add in the entire point of video review. that seriously is something that must be fixed. also OT/SO is stupid and shouldn't be the same as a regular win. we've seen some teams miss or make the playoffs even with more losses at times because of the pity point itself

Mar 20, 2010
Winning team gets $140m, that alone is worth 10 years of time, not counting other revenues being increased like mad for having an insane team.

By 25 all stars I mean all stars in their positions.

You can put together a dream team that focuses on winning, period. Remember 2010 Team Canada?

Not that this was meant to be this serious to begin with but I don't think you can say that the "3rd" best goalie in the league can't outplay the top tandem. I don't think it's a guarantee that the "Top" 4 lines of forwards will always be more productive than any other set of forwards over a 7 game series.

Not that I think it's relevant but 2010 Team Canada won in overtime against the USA in the final game, so it's not like they were the hockey version of the original Dream Team. If the USA was allowed to add players from other countries or even ones that were left off the Canadian A team, it could have easily won gold. There wouldn't be such a restriction in the NHL.

All I'm saying is that there's too much talent in the NHL for any 25 players to be guaranteed to win against every other combination of 25. Not that my original post is meant to be that realistic.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
First priority would be to fix the salary cap to reflect state and provincial taxes to make it fair.

Second priority would be to either allow players to self-police with fighters but more likely to add refs in the stands that call penalties. The game is way to quick for two refs at a 5 ft view and prevents consistency in my opinion. It’s become a rat-league.

Third priority would be to change the 8 team conferences to 4 team divisions, which is what I suspect they are doing. Have the 1st place team from each 8 divisions go through with 8 wildcard spots total.

How many players are actually sitting down and saying "well how much of my paycheck will be taxes, na can't sign here".

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Eliminate the frustration of watching your team's greedy, overpaid stars going soft as they choke in the playoffs. Align $$$ with playoff performance.
  1. If the salary cap is $81.5M, shift it to $61.5M.
  2. The other $20M from all 32 teams goes into a trophy purse ($640M).
  3. The Stanley Cup winning team gets the $640M, with $140M going to the team owners/management and $500M being shared among the players.

I love that I never thought or read that before.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Also

Relocate every southern team and make the NHL stay in actual markets who care for their team

You honestly dont think Tampa/St Petersburg, Nashville, Dallas, and Raleigh NC don't care about their team? Washington is technically in the south too. You dont think their market cares about them?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You honestly dont think Tampa/St Petersburg, Nashville, Dallas, and Raleigh NC don't care about their team? Washington is technically in the south too. You dont think their market cares about them?
nobody cares nationally for Tampa lol. NBC's ratings were not even at 2M this year. tampa bay is an afterthought for hockey
nobody likes tampa in america.jpg

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Eliminate the frustration of watching your team's greedy, overpaid stars going soft as they choke in the playoffs. Align $$$ with playoff performance.
  1. If the salary cap is $81.5M, shift it to $61.5M.
  2. The other $20M from all 32 teams goes into a trophy purse ($640M).
  3. The Stanley Cup winning team gets the $640M, with $140M going to the team owners/management and $500M being shared among the players.

Yup. Have thought this about team sports for a long time. Especially since salary caps came around. Money earned should come from winning, since that's the point of team sports.

NHL, since players get 50% of HRR, could split that in half where 25% of it comes from team performance based bonuses. Largest obviously would be for the Cup winning team but could even include bonus for making playoffs, winning conference, Presidents Trophy, etc. Though I've always liked the idea of the majority, if not all, going to the Stanley Cup winners.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
By the way, there are already set playoff round winning cash bonuses from the League.

Just in case people don't know.

I just can't see NHLPA agreeing to cut the pie from some players and give it to others.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I say get relocate all northern teams to the south. If the northern people really love hockey as much as they say they do, they would have no problem rooting for the southern team while the sport grows in those unrecognizable areas.....

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
How about putting a cap on guaranteed dollars and making contracts scalable based on performance? Create something like a hard cap combined with soft upper limit/cushion. Like no contract can be more than 6-7M guaranteed dollars. The total guaranteed money has to stay beneath the hard cap and the total potential performance based salary a team *could* pay out has to stay within 115% of the cap. Mess with the calculations as needed, I just made those numbers up.

You'd have your regular guys in the league minimum to 6M range locked in where their cap hit is their cap hit and then the guys earning 7M+ have to actually earn every dollar beyond 7M.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
How about putting a cap on guaranteed dollars and making contracts scalable based on performance? Create something like a hard cap combined with soft upper limit/cushion. Like no contract can be more than 6-7M guaranteed dollars. The total guaranteed money has to stay beneath the hard cap and the total potential performance based salary a team *could* pay out has to stay within 115% of the cap. Mess with the calculations as needed, I just made those numbers up.

You'd have your regular guys in the league minimum to 6M range locked in where their cap hit is their cap hit and then the guys earning 7M+ have to actually earn every dollar beyond 7M.

NHLPA won't go for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad