How would things have played out if Detroit kept Glenn Hall in 1957 instead of bringing back Sawchuk

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Going through old issues of THN from that time period it looks like Sawchuk’s 2 years in Boston were viewed as a gigantic failure..and management, fans AND players all wanted him gone. He had retired from hockey during his second season in Boston as his nerves were shot and his body was failing him. He never did fully embrace his trade to the B’s.

Detroit just suffered an upset in the playoffs having lost to Boston in 5 games and Glenn Hall’s play in the series came under fire and his ability to win important games was called into question. Detroit publically made it known that they had regretted trading Sawchuk (even though Hall had 2 very impressive seasons as Detroit’s starter) and were interested in bringing him back providing he had interest in returning to the NHL. It became clear that although they chose Hall over Sawchuk 2 years earlier, they regretted it now and were willing to ship Hall away if it meant bringing Sawchuk back. Basically to correct their “mistake.” They shipped Hall and Ted Lindsay to Chicago in a trade that is considered one of the worst in Wings history. They brought back fan favorite Terry Sawchuk.

We all know how it played out. Hall lead the Blackhawks to a Stanley Cup victory (over Detroit) in 1961. While Sawchuk appears to be considered the better goaltender all-time of the two by many (most?), it’s pretty clear that Hall outplayed Sawchuk for the most part from this point on in their careers after the trades in 1957. Have to assume Detroit wished they would have kept Hall.

How do you guys see it playing out if Hall stayed in Detroit and Sawchuk decided not to return to the NHL? Does Hall have an even more impressive career by staying in Detroit? Or was he a perfect fit for those Blackhawks squads and it helped his legacy in the end moreso than staying in Detroit would have?

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Also, how badly does Detroit regret trading Hall?

Did they view the gamble as worth it since it brought back a fan favorite in Sawchuk? Or did they realize in short order that it probably wasn’t the correct call?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting. I have Sawchuk as one of my top goalies ever so that changes if he gives up playing in the NHL. Who would become Chicago's goalie then if Hall is not there? A good what if for sure.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Interesting. I have Sawchuk as one of my top goalies ever so that changes if he gives up playing in the NHL. Who would become Chicago's goalie then if Hall is not there? A good what if for sure.

I read that Chicago actually discussed bringing in Sawchuk once Boston put him on the block. Sounds like Detroit essentially gave them Glenn Hall to insure that Terry Sawchuk was no longer an option for them and they could have him for themselves.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I read that Chicago actually discussed bringing in Sawchuk once Boston put him on the block. Sounds like Detroit essentially gave them Glenn Hall to insure that Terry Sawchuk was no longer an option for them and they could have him for themselves.

And that is how the Norris House League operated. Any attempt to analyze Adams’ trades from a hockey standpoint is an exercise in frustration. There was always another more important agenda.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’m just wondering why Detroit gave up so quickly on Glenn Hall. Why did they want Sawchuk back so bad?

In 55-56 and 56-57 Hall was easily the best goaltender in the league not named Jacques Plante. He took Detroit to the Cup finals in his rookie season and had a great follow-up before being upset by Boston in the 1st round the next year. Was Detroit really missing Sawchuk that bad that they would give up on Glenn Hall after one bad playoff series?

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Wasn't Roger Crozier in the Black Hawks' organization? He might have become their goalkeeper.

Good point. That’s likely how it would have played out. Perhaps Al Rollins would have stayed in Chicago for another few seasons before Crozier took over the job.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Detroit traded Hall to Chicago as part of the Lindsay trade, which was meant to send a clear message that union activities would not be tolerated. Hall wasn’t really what one would tern a “Union agitator,” but he was a strong suppprter of the Wings’ captain and he was known to speak his mind (“talk back”) to Jack Adams.

Chicago, the NHL’s Siberia in the 50s, was an easy trade destination, given the one idiot owner (Bruce Norris) simply had to call another idiot owner (his brother, James Jr.) to make it happen.

As for Sawchuk’s return to the Wings, I’m not sure .....but the price was future Hall of Famer Johnny Bucyk

Reactions: The Macho Man

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Good point. That’s likely how it would have played out. Perhaps Al Rollins would have stayed in Chicago for another few seasons before Crozier took over the job.

Chicago didn't have much of a farm system in 1957 so they would likely have stuck with Rollins. Crozier was only 15 and wasn't even in Junior A. Denis Dejordy was playing Junior A and would have been the next in line.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Hall after this date had 6+2 AST selections for the Blackhawks while Sawchuk had 0+2 for Detroit, while making 3 finals to Sawchuk's 4 ones.
I gotta think Detroit would have won some of them with Hall in net instead, especially with Bucyk still in the fold as well. Might have been exciting to see him replace Lindsay on Howe's line.
Sawchuk on the other hand might have gotten worse psychologically for all i know if playing for an increasingly suckier Bruins team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad