How would Nikita Gusev fare in the NHL?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
OK. Looks like Gusev could join the Vegas Knights this weekend. Is this just an effort by Vegas to prevent him from going UFA after next year, or are they really going to break him in on small ice in the playoffs? How much of a factor could he be if he does play against say San Jose?
I do not believe he would be eligible to play in the playoffs.

OK maybe he can...weird that it would be allowed.

May 27, 2012
Earth

It's happened in the past. As long as the rights are owned by the team he can join any time. It's like when Radulov came back to join the Predators a couple of years ago.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
He’s 100% eligible to join the Knights since he’s their property, as is Gavrikov for the Blue Jackets who is also coming over.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's not the reason he is allowed to play because they actually put him on their reserve list had they not, he would not be able to play.

You can have 90 players on your reserve list, so basically every player who has their rights owned is on their team's reserve list.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

Why is it weird? This is a Vegas prospect just like Glass or Hauge, no difference. Gusev is Tampa Bay's former 7th-round pick whose rights they didn't value as much as players they wanted to protect in the expansion draft.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Why is it weird? This is a Vegas prospect just like Glass or Hauge, no difference. Gusev is Tampa Bay's former 7th-round pick whose rights they didn't value as much as players they wanted to protect in the expansion draft.
Because I didn't realize they had added him to their list for the playoffs so that he could play.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Gusev is Tampa Bay's former 7th-round pick whose rights they didn't value as much as players they wanted to protect in the expansion draft.

At the time there was little to no indication Gusev would ever come over so I can't blame Tampa for letting his rights go. Made more sense to protect the guys you know you have in front of you.

Now that he will come over I would imagine TB would want that move back should he become a PPG player but you know what they say about hindsight.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Because I didn't realize they had added him to their list for the playoffs so that he could play.

Every team does this with all their prospects in the OHL, NCAA and Europe.

Makar can join the Avalanche after the Frozen Four. It ain't weird.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

There is no "playoff list to add him to". All players a team holds draft rights to are automatically included on that team's Reserve List (max 90 players). Any player on a team's Reserve List as of the most recent trade deadline is eligible for the playoffs.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
I hated that we moved his rights. He should be playing with Kucherov.
He can decide not to sign with Vegas and go to Tampa if we wants to.

I don't see him doing that because he won't make the maximum money he could by doing that. It's a nice thought at least.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He can decide not to sign with Vegas and go to Tampa if we wants to.

I don't see him doing that because he won't make the maximum money he could by doing that. It's a nice thought at least.
Tampa can't afford him on a non-ELC.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Are they actually going to dress Gusev tomorrow? I personally doubt it after a big win but you would think he can make a bigger impact than guys like Nosek and Reaves.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Who is a comparable style of play for Gusev? Current or previous NHL model game like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->