How would Nikita Gusev fare in the NHL?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
But the original point was, if he IS that good, he won't be treated like spare parts. coaches aren't stupid, they want to win. If a player gives them a better chance to win, they play more. It's that simple.

There is nothing wrong with PROVING your worth what you think you are. Just like there is nothing wrong with playing in a lower league, as the best player. If that's what he wants, so be it, that's his choice. If he's as good as you seem to think he is, he would end up making several multiples more in the NHL than in the KHL. But maybe he knows he ISN'T good enough to bring in the big NHL salaries?

Out of curiousity, what is his KHL salary?
You are again acting like the NHL is an ideal world, the coaches are smart, GMs wise and teammates perfect. Why are tgere so many threads here about NHL coaches who should be launched into the Sun?:sarcasm:

If Gusev is smart he knows he has to choose wisely and not believe a single world from people in and around the NHL(GMs, coaches, agents). A lot of players before him were stuck in a hole because the words those people utter aren't worth a dime. And oh, the prominent case involved tge GM of the team that holds Gusev's rights.

There is nothing wrong with proving your worth as a 20y.o. through minors. It's different for an established KHL top scorer.

And after all if they don't want him or don't accept the terms they don't have to sign him.

I KNOW he is good enough. Especially for the clown show the NHL has become. He certainly knows that too. The question is not whether he is good enough, it's whether the CBA, people's traits and the NA negotiations modus operandi allows for a smooth transition.

Reactions: stopclickbait

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was touted by who? And here we are having another guy taking some Barys Canadian as proof for what exactly? Darren Dietz is provong exactly nothing. If you'd read through the threads a bit, you'd know why.
Touchy are we? Touted by ohhh the KHL itself for years?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
You are again acting like the NHL is an ideal world, the coaches are smart, GMs wise and teammates perfect. Why are tgere so many threads here about NHL coaches who should be launched into the Sun?:sarcasm:

If Gusev is smart he knows he has to choose wisely and not believe a single world from people in and around the NHL(GMs, coaches, agents). A lot of players before him were stuck in a hole because the words those people utter aren't worth a dime. And oh, the prominent case involved tge GM of the team that holds Gusev's rights.

There is nothing wrong with proving your worth as a 20y.o. through minors. It's different for an established KHL top scorer.

And after all if they don't want him or don't accept the terms they don't have to sign him.

I KNOW he is good enough. Especially for the clown show the NHL has become. He certainly knows that too. The question is not whether he is good enough, it's whether the CBA, people's traits and the NA negotiations modus operandi allows for a smooth transition.

I know he is good enough. I think he is a 70 point first-line winger in the NHL, which is why he should play in the league he should be playing in.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Why is it different f9r an established player in the KHL? He has just as much to prove as a 20 year who has proven himself in the AHL and is getting called up.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Just a little update here. Vegas has been playing Valentin Zykov on the top line for the past couple games and he scored last night. Reilly Smith deserved the demotion but why would they be playing Zykov up there over players like Tuch and Pacioretty? It seems to me that they are really trying to get this guy to succeed and stick. And it also seems apparent to me that this might have more to do with Gusev than Zykov.

So for all who say he will never play for Vegas we shall see. I think they are going to do all they can to bring him over soon.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just a little update here. Vegas has been playing Valentin Zykov on the top line for the past couple games and he scored last night. Reilly Smith deserved the demotion but why would they be playing Zykov up there over players like Tuch and Pacioretty? It seems to me that they are really trying to get this guy to succeed and stick. And it also seems apparent to me that this might have more to do with Gusev than Zykov.

So for all who say he will never play for Vegas we shall see. I think they are going to do all they can to bring him over soon.

Because the Patches-Stastny-Tuch line is fantastic, and it's actually the 1st line.

But yeah it's curious why Zykov has been playing with Marchessault and Karlsson over Smith and Pirri.

Gusev will come over. It might take around 6 million, but he'll be playing for Vegas next year.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Because the Patches-Stastny-Tuch line is fantastic, and it's actually the 1st line.

But yeah it's curious why Zykov has been playing with Marchessault and Karlsson over Smith and Pirri.

Gusev will come over. It might take around 6 million, but he'll be playing for Vegas next year.

Nah, it's 1 year ELC...

Set his new personal scoring record in the KHL - 74 points in 57 games (had 71 points in 57 games in 16-17 season). Considering, he played with Dadonov and Shipachev back to then and this season he's probably had more than half a dozen linemates (Datsyuk, Prokhorkin, Yakupov, Barabanov, Koskiranta and few more), it looks pretty impressive.

And the season isn't over yet, so he'll probably score 80+ points.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Oh Tampa has his negotiating rights? Probably between a 45 goal, 75-110 point scorer
Traded them to Vegas. He is now in the Panarin mold. Playmaking winger with a ridiculous assist pace and leads the league by 9pts few games before regular season end.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Traded them to Vegas. He is now in the Panarin mold. Playmaking winger with a ridiculous assist pace and leads the league by 9pts few games before regular season end.

I think Vegas would even sign another KHL player if it would help get Gusev over here. Does Gusev know who Valentin Zykov is? Vegas seems to be trying really hard to get him to stick in the lineup somewhere: I don't know if they would have claimed him without the Gusev angle.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think Vegas would even sign another KHL player if it would help get Gusev over here. Does Gusev know who Valentin Zykov is? Vegas seems to be trying really hard to get him to stick in the lineup somewhere: I don't know if they would have claimed him without the Gusev angle.
This is not how it works I think. If anything they should try to get some top line linemates for him, but that's a rarity for any expansion team in the beginning, even a successful one as Vegas.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Gusev is a stud, he would fare really well. He’d be the best Russian KHL player to come over since Panarin imo. (Not comparing Panarin + Gusev).

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Watched him play for CSKA back in 2011 and came away with the impression that hes not NHL calibre. Spent his time floating in the neutral zone.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
Watched him play for CSKA back in 2011 and came away with the impression that hes not NHL calibre. Spent his time floating in the neutral zone.

Could Panarin succeed in NHL? I've seen him play for Vityaz in 12-13 season, he wasn't even 0,5 ppg player then, surely he just doesn't have talent.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
2nd ever KHL player to score 80+ (81 in 62 games) points in the KHL regular season. The record holder is Mozyakin (85 in 60). But Mozyakin had 20:06 TOI, and Gusev - 15:52. Basically, a 3rd line ice-time.

Some other players' best seasons:

Radulov - 80 ponts in 54 games (18:41 TOI)
Panarin - 62 points in 54 games (15:59 TOI)
Dadonov - 66 points in 53 games (17:05 TOI)

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Tampa should reacquire his rights from Vegas, sign him to a one-year ELC, and put him on a line with Point and Kucherov. Then trade McDonagh and Gourde before their new contracts kick in, sign Panarin, and put him on a line with Stamkos and does it really matter who else at that point?

Sure, our defense would be paper thin after Hedman, Cernak, and Sergachev, and Vasy would probably have a stroke trying to keep pucks out of the net, but our top six would be ridiculous and our games would have final scores more reminiscent of football games. It’ll never happen, of course, but it’s fun to think about.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tampa should reacquire his rights from Vegas, sign him to a one-year ELC, and put him on a line with Point and Kucherov. Then trade McDonagh and Gourde before their new contracts kick in, sign Panarin, and put him on a line with Stamkos and does it really matter who else at that point?

Sure, our defense would be paper thin after Hedman, Cernak, and Sergachev, and Vasy would probably have a stroke trying to keep pucks out of the net, but our top six would be ridiculous and our games would have final scores more reminiscent of football games. It’ll never happen, of course, but it’s fun to think about.

If Vegas is sure, Gusev will play for them, they won't trade him for anything but overpaymeant. And even then they need good players right, not some future assets, and Tampa won't trade anything valuable aside from picks and prospects.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If Vegas is sure, Gusev will play for them, they won't trade him for anything but overpaymeant. And even then they need good players right, not some future assets, and Tampa won't trade anything valuable aside from picks and prospects.

Yeah, realistically there’s no way we’re trading for him. It’s just fun to think about what he might have done on an already loaded Tampa squad, especially on a line with Point and his good friend Kucherov.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
OK. Looks like Gusev could join the Vegas Knights this weekend. Is this just an effort by Vegas to prevent him from going UFA after next year, or are they really going to break him in on small ice in the playoffs? How much of a factor could he be if he does play against say San Jose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad