How would Nikita Gusev fare in the NHL?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How is it one Lucky run? Vegas is great again this year.

5th in the league in points.

20-6-3 in their last 29 games.

Damn. You couldn't be more wrong
I wish my oilers could luck their way to a 20-6-3 record in their last 29 games.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
70-80 point player per season, but its also dependent on the team he plays for.

Shipachyov is a top 6 level NHL'er, but the team he signed for gave him a raw deal and now some claim he isn't an NHL caliber player. The same might happen with Gusev.
Raw deal my tail. He was given the opportunity to succeed if he put in the work and deal with short-term contract issues as we were figuring out our roster. He was a cancer that toxic to the locker room so McPhee showed him the door. Now all he does is bad mouth the team and the NHL.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I can understand wanting to play in your homeland but there is no comparison between the leagues. Isn’t the KHL designed so Purin’s team wins every year?
But it doesn't win every year. Don't you think that the evil overlord isn't really interested in hockey?

Gusev would be a good 1st liner in the NHL.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
With the right linemates and opportunity he'd be a good player in the NHL. The other big issue I think Shipachyov highlighted is he needs a good support team. If he was actually planning on coming over he and his family would best be served learning english. What happened to Shipachyov was as much Vegas as it was him and his managing team.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
I can understand wanting to play in your homeland but there is no comparison between the leagues. Isn’t the KHL designed so Purin’s team wins every year?

You need less Malamud in your life, it will only get better.

On topic: Gusev is better than Panarin. They both have played for my local team for a long period of time and while their offensive production is similar, Gusev is simply better in his own end. So he would probably have similar amount of points to Panarin, +-10.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Fighting for first place is third place. Do you think they are a Cup Contender? If you want to see an average team that lacks the top-end talent to win a Cup, but is well coached go out in the first or second round rather than build from scratch, which they should've done last season, thats your choice. You don't get half a Stanley Cup for finishing second.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what I said. They had a lucky run. They have shown this season that they aren't as good, and most of their "stars" that aren't actually stars have seen regression in their games. Trying to act like Shipachyov wasn't given a raw deal because Vegas had a lucky run is a joke.
You missed the memo.....Vegas is a stacked team made possible by the Bettman crime family stacking the expansion draft, and fixing games for them

They were loaded last year, I read it online, it HAS to be true

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Like Panarin, Gusev doesn't speak English. Unlike Panarin, he isn't a very communicative person. So he will need some Russian teammates, otherwise, his NHL career can end up like Shipachev's one.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Like Panarin, Gusev doesn't speak English. Unlike Panarin, he isn't a very communicative person. So he will need some Russian teammates, otherwise, his NHL career can end up like Shipachev's one.

Which makes Vegas' claim of Zykov so interesting. There was an uproar when they sent Pirri down to make room for this guy. If he isn't cut and is mostly a healthy scratch all year I think it could very well be an indication that they want Gusev on the club.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You don't get it. He wouldn't want to leave from being on the top line and arguably the best player in the KHL to some 3rd line in the NHL. Why would anybody in his place?
Many would. Because they would prefer to play in the best league in the world.

Many do.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Raw deal my tail. He was given the opportunity to succeed if he put in the work and deal with short-term contract issues as we were figuring out our roster. He was a cancer that toxic to the locker room so McPhee showed him the door. Now all he does is bad mouth the team and the NHL.

When were you given a copy of the Knights front office talking points?

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
His KHL points per game is currently 1.23. He’s maintained a very similar points per game over every single KHL season of his career since he became a member of St. Petersburg.

Using the KHL->NHL conversion rate multiplier of 0.73, his NHL estimated points per game would be roughly 0.9. So, if he played an 82 game season, we can estimate that he would score roughly 70 points. Which sounds about right, although I’ll admit I haven’t watched him outside the Olympics, where he was still very impressive.
Thanks for posting the conversion, didn't realize one of those existed! I wonder if NHL teams use a similar calculator when signing FA's from the KHL.

Doesn't he have to sign in Vegas? I thought they own his rights until he comes over.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Fighting for first place is third place. Do you think they are a Cup Contender? If you want to see an average team that lacks the top-end talent to win a Cup, but is well coached go out in the first or second round rather than build from scratch, which they should've done last season, thats your choice. You don't get half a Stanley Cup for finishing second.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what I said. They had a lucky run. They have shown this season that they aren't as good, and most of their "stars" that aren't actually stars have seen regression in their games. Trying to act like Shipachyov wasn't given a raw deal because Vegas had a lucky run is a joke.

Only on HF did a team who made the SCF (in their FIRST YEAR OF EXISTENCE) do everything wrong by not trading away all their players and rebuild for the next 5-7 years.

Who needs a great chance at a cup when you can have a 2nd round pick instead!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only on HF did a team who made the SCF (in their FIRST YEAR OF EXISTENCE) do everything wrong by not trading away all their players and rebuild for the next 5-7 years.

Who needs a great chance at a cup when you can have a 2nd round pick instead!

You could argue they did last season or maybe they just got lucky. Making it to the SCF doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be a contender for years. I think a better way to assess Cup contenders is to assess the components of each team instead of their results in prior years. Sometimes a team is good in both areas, but there are also examples when a team only has one of the two components.

In my opinion, they don’t have a great chance at the Cup. I don’t think they have the elite pieces that every Cup winner except for the occasional outlier has. I wouldn’t put them in the top 10 places to win it this season. There’s a formula in the league that yields the overwhelming majority of Cup winners. Vegas is not even close to having the pieces for that formula.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You could argue they did last season or maybe they just got lucky. Making it to the SCF doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be a contender for years. I think a better way to assess Cup contenders is to assess the components of each team instead of their results in prior years. Sometimes a team is good in both areas, but there are also examples when a team only has one of the two components.

In my opinion, they don’t have a great chance at the Cup. I don’t think they have the elite pieces that every Cup winner except for the occasional outlier has. I wouldn’t put them in the top 10 places to win it this season. There’s a formula in the league that yields the overwhelming majority of Cup winners. Vegas is not even close to having the pieces for that formula.

"Not even close to that formula" despite making it to the SCF last season and being a top 5 team this season?

Ya ok.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Vegas wasn't the right fit for Shipachyov, would've been better off on a team like the Capitals or Rangers.

Gusev will be an interesting case. Don't know where he'll sign, but my guess is he goes either wherever Panarin goes via FA, or he signs with Vegas on the promise he gets to start with the Golden Knights. Although I don't Vegas really has room for him, plus I think Cody Glass cracks the opening night roster come next season. But what Vegas could do is trade Gusev for playoff help.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
People aren't smart. What's new?
Lol.

Wanting to play in the best league in the world is not smart? Its called being competitive.

If you peefer being a big fish in a small pond thats your prerogative.

Many would say prferring to play in a second tier league vs the top league is not smart.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lol.

Wanting to play in the best league in the world is not smart? Its called being competitive.

If you peefer being a big fish in a small pond thats your prerogative.

Many would say prferring to play in a second tier league vs the top league is not smart.
LOL Wanting to be treated like spare parts in the NHL is the pinnacle of stupidity for a guy like Gusev.

If the NHL was some ideal world where pure hockey performance would be rewarded accordingly no matter what team you are on, who the GM and the coach are and so on you might have had a point.

Smart people would say playing in the 2nd best league earning more money until you get a proper offer from the NHL is smart.

Reactions: stopclickbait

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
LOL Wanting to be treated like spare parts in the NHL is the pinnacle of stupidity for a guy like Gusev.

If the NHL was some ideal world where pure hockey performance would be rewarded accordingly no matter what team you are on, who the GM and the coach are and so on you might have had a point.

Smart people would say playing in the 2nd best league earning more money until you get a proper offer from the NHL is smart.

But the original point was, if he IS that good, he won't be treated like spare parts. coaches aren't stupid, they want to win. If a player gives them a better chance to win, they play more. It's that simple.

There is nothing wrong with PROVING your worth what you think you are. Just like there is nothing wrong with playing in a lower league, as the best player. If that's what he wants, so be it, that's his choice. If he's as good as you seem to think he is, he would end up making several multiples more in the NHL than in the KHL. But maybe he knows he ISN'T good enough to bring in the big NHL salaries?

Out of curiousity, what is his KHL salary?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If you think it's a weak league you might want to check some stats of current NHLers in that league.

Gusev is a talented playmaking winger. Small but very slick and with great hockey sense. He has the tools that today's NHL needs actually. The biggest problem for him is being Vegas property. GM with a history of mailing it in with a KHL UFA. Not enough offensive talent to work with.

You mean like defenseman Darren Dietz who is 7th in the KHL with 45 pts in 49 games? It's not a weak league but for a league that was touted to be a rival to the NHL...well it's far from it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You mean like defenseman Darren Dietz who is 7th in the KHL with 45 pts in 49 games? It's not a weak league but for a league that was touted to be a rival to the NHL...well it's far from it.
Was touted by who? And here we are having another guy taking some Barys Canadian as proof for what exactly? Darren Dietz is provong exactly nothing. If you'd read through the threads a bit, you'd know why.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad