How would Nikita Gusev fare in the NHL?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
LOL Why would he ever want that? He is the most talented AND established guy outside the NHL for now. If any NHL team offers him to start of on the 3rd line he should simply tell them to shove it.
Then he should take it and move his way up from there. If he's good enough he'll end up in a top line eventually.

GoHockey

Oct 16, 2017
He never wanted to come to the NHL. I don't get it. We had like a third of the Russian national team at one point. He couldn't complain about the environment. The Lightning would have a cup already if he just decided to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He never wanted to come to the NHL. I don't get it. We had like a third of the Russian national team at one point. He couldn't complain about the environment. The Lightning would have a cup already if he just decided to play in the NHL.

He's not playing with Kovalchuk anymore, and Datsyuk is probably pretty close to retirement. After coming so close to the KHL championship, if SKA doesn't go far he may just get bored and consider crossing the pond.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Looks like he is leading the KHL and scoring and is 26 years old. I know it’s a weak league; most of the other players leading that league in poimts seem to be in their 30s.

But when you check out his highlights he could very well have as much or more skill than anyone currently on the VGK roster.

What sort of impact would he have over here? A big one like Panarin or be more of a dud like Kovalchuk when he came back or somewhere in between?
Kovalchuk has been one of the Kings best forwards until he was buried by the coach plus he is way past his prime he is not a dud at all. Dude was one of the best players on earth with a lethal shot during his prime. He was close to Ovechkins skill.

That line would score like 5 times more goals than the rest of your forwards.
Thats a conservative estimate.

Reactions: stopclickbait

JackManning

Nov 23, 2018
Could be the next Panarin but even if not i think a top 6 winger for sure. Kovalchuk is old and heavy body so that's not really a solid comparison.

He's got NHL level talent, speed, elusiveness and high confidence in himself. I think the current NHL fits him better than the league maybe 5+ years ago.

He is going to be 27 next summer so the guy is in his prime and should be able to jump right in.

Don't know where he'd play in Vegas though. They already have Marchessault and Pacioretty on the left side and Gusev needs offensive guys to play with. I guess they could go with 3 scoring lines.

I don't know how good Gusev is defensively, but Vegas seems to be trying to develop a ththi scoring line.

Gusev Glass Pirri would be an interesting experiment

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I need the Bruins to sign him so that whenever he scores I can make the comment that IT'S GUSEV DAY

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He didn't want to come play with his best friend in a Sunny market. Then he didn't want to play in Vegas on a new team that he probably could have made a ton of money at while getting 1st line minutes. I just don't think he wants to come over to NA. Atleast he has shown no inclinations so far. I believe he has another year left on his contract so maybe we can revisit this then.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
His KHL points per game is currently 1.23. He’s maintained a very similar points per game over every single KHL season of his career since he became a member of St. Petersburg.

Using the KHL->NHL conversion rate multiplier of 0.73, his NHL estimated points per game would be roughly 0.9. So, if he played an 82 game season, we can estimate that he would score roughly 70 points. Which sounds about right, although I’ll admit I haven’t watched him outside the Olympics, where he was still very impressive.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
If you are the star player on SKA, I wonder if you get a lot of perks that would make going to the NHL less attractive? Isn’t this Putin’s favorite team?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He didn't want to come play with his best friend in a Sunny market. Then he didn't want to play in Vegas on a new team that he probably could have made a ton of money at while getting 1st line minutes. I just don't think he wants to come over to NA. Atleast he has shown no inclinations so far. I believe he has another year left on his contract so maybe we can revisit this then.

He signed an extension for the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
70-80 point player per season, but its also dependent on the team he plays for.

Shipachyov is a top 6 level NHL'er, but the team he signed for gave him a raw deal and now some claim he isn't an NHL caliber player. The same might happen with Gusev.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
70-80 point player per season, but its also dependent on the team he plays for.

Shipachyov is a top 6 level NHL'er, but the team he signed for gave him a raw deal and now some claim he isn't an NHL caliber player. The same might happen with Gusev.
I think that he proved he isn't an NHL caliber player all by himself.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He's not playing with Kovalchuk anymore, and Datsyuk is probably pretty close to retirement. After coming so close to the KHL championship, if SKA doesn't go far he may just get bored and consider crossing the pond.
He basically never was playing with Kovalchuk or Datsyuk except on the PP. I see him being interested in giving the NHL a try, but the NHL shoots itself in the leg with the CBA that allows to hold on to the rights of a player for so long. In my opinion he should not try the useless adventure with Vegas because of GMGM in the first place. If he had a chance to end up with a team that suits him, wants him and has the cap space he should definitely do it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He is on a top line.
I obviously meant in the NHL... No one should come into the league with the mindset that they deserve top line minutes right away. Gusev has not proven he's a top player in the NHL, then why should any team just assume that he is?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I obviously meant in the NHL... No one should come into the league with the mindset that they deserve top line minutes right away. Gusev has not proven he's a top player in the NHL, then why should any team just assume that he is?
Are NHL scouts that bad? (They are)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad