Speculation: How Would Have Patrick Roy's Team Look Like?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We've heard the murmurs of him negotiating single-handily with Beauchemin's agent. We know that he wanted to pay O'Reilly whatever he wanted. We've seen that he wasn't the biggest Zadorov fan. We've heard that he wanted to bring Radulov in. We've heard the rumours of him wanting to trade Barrie for defensemen, but notably open cap space. And we've also heard that he was in a window in a "win" now mode.

So since he decided to quit due to an increasing loss of power and team personnel decision. What do you guys think his team would look like if he had more power and Joe Sakic was a "yes man"?

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Jaws-smile-for-a-family-picture-richard-kiel.gif

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
6'4" LW ROR 6'4" RW
6'3" LW 6'6" C Iginla RW
6'4" LW Mitchell 6'6" RW
McLeod 7'0" C Martinsen

EJ Beauchemin
Holden Guenin
6'6" D 6'6" D

Pickard
Roy

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We've heard the murmurs of him negotiating single-handily with Beauchemin's agent. We know that he wanted to pay O'Reilly whatever he wanted. We've seen that he wasn't the biggest Zadorov fan. We've heard that he wanted to bring Radulov in. We've heard the rumours of him wanting to trade Barrie for defensemen, but notably open cap space. And we've also heard that he was in a window in a "win" now mode.

So since he decided to quit due to an increasing loss of power and team personnel decision. What do you guys think his team would look like if he had more power and Joe Sakic was a "yes man"?

I'd sure like to know where we've "seen he wasn't the biggest Zadorov fan", because if you're referring to the AHL demotion, it was needed.

I also wonder what the real point of this thread is, given some of the responses so far.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think mostly we got a good look at what a Roy team would look like for the last 3 years. It didn't work.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Lucic-O'Reilly-Landeskog
Drouin-Soderberg-MacKinnon
Mitchell-Zibanejed-Comeau
McLeod-Gaustad-Martinsen

Beauchemin-EJ
Russell-Holden
Bigras-Guenin

Pickard
Berra

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is it true he really wanted O'Reilly no matter the cost? That's interesting if true.

I dunno...I don't think he was as enamored with big lumbering defenders as people are implying here, nor do I think we really saw what he truly envisioned his NHL team to be.

That said, I still maintain his system would never, ever work in the NHL.

I do think the team would have gotten bigger, and more than likely slower, if Roy had full control. I'm guessing he would have sold off some assets for more immediate help, but I don't think he would've gone full Don Waddell in Colorado either.

Impossible to say what his team would've looked like, but I suppose if O'Reilly had stayed, Duchene or Landeskog most assuredly would've been gone, and I would think Barrie would have been traded rather than re-signed.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Additions: ROR(would have stayed), Backes, JJ, Radulov, Rene Bourque
Subtractions: Zads/Grigs/JTC, Duchene, Barrie. )Soderberg, Colborne Tyutin and PW would never have gotten signed).

Duchene would go to Columbus for JJ and something else. Maybe Anaheim for Fowler and something else instead or Vancouver for Edler

Barrie would have gone to Boston for Dougie Hamilton. Avs were apparently in on him. if Roy had more control I bet he would have gone all in.

ROR Mackinnon Radulov
Landeskog Backes Rantanen
Comeau Mitchell Martinsen
McLeod Ben Smith Bourque

Beauchemin EJ
JJ Hamilton
Holden Bigras

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Are we talking over time or just the past summer? Those are completely different answers. Some things were really close in the summer of 2015 that would have changed the outlook of this team dramatically. Maybe Roy would have pulled the trigger on some, maybe he wouldn't have entertained them as much... it is hard to say.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Subtractions: Zads/Grigs/JTC, Duchene, Barrie. )Soderberg, Colborne Tyutin and PW would never have gotten signed).

Duchene would go to Columbus for JJ and something else. Maybe Anaheim for Fowler and something else instead or Vancouver for Edler

Barrie would have gone to Boston for Dougie Hamilton. Avs were apparently in on him. if Roy had more control I bet he would have gone all in.

ROR Mackinnon Radulov
McLeod Ben Smith Bourque

Beauchemin EJ
JJ Hamilton
Holden Bigras

I feel like I should be flogged because I actually like that top 6 alot.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think Roy didn't like Z. He just wanted the ability to send both Z AND Rantanen back to the AHL this year. Sakic said no way, they're sticking in the NHL.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

ROR Mackinnon Radulov
McLeod Ben Smith Bourque

Beauchemin EJ
JJ Hamilton
Holden Bigras

I actually wondered about that. Given what Boston traded him for the Avs could have easily won any bidding war for his services. I think I would've been okay with that. But Duchene for JJ? Hell effing no. That would be highway robbery on Columbus's part. But I could see Roy pushing for something like that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Are we talking over time or just the past summer? Those are completely different answers. Some things were really close in the summer of 2015 that would have changed the outlook of this team dramatically. Maybe Roy would have pulled the trigger on some, maybe he wouldn't have entertained them as much... it is hard to say.

2015? I thought they explored their big moves this summer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
2015? I thought they explored their big moves this summer.

2015 had a lot of cards in the air too... ROR, Hamilton, Hanifin, RyJo. If Roy had gotten more of his way that summer or early in the 15-16 season, it probably would have changed this summer dramatically. If we consider 2015 to be over and Roy could make the changes he wanted this summer, it is a different outlook with regards to Barrie, Duchene, Radulov, etc.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'd sure like to know where we've "seen he wasn't the biggest Zadorov fan", because if you're referring to the AHL demotion, it was needed.

I also wonder what the real point of this thread is, given some of the responses so far.
Didn't want to make an uproar over a trivial comment. I can't explain it since I don't have the evidence, but there were around a handful of times which I remember Roy making a big deal over Zadorov's turnovers. There was the one where he's in Arizona and the camera flashes back to Roy and he sort of mocking Zadorov by facepalming him when he returned to his bench (purposely in front of him). I also remember a time where Zadorov made a couple of bad passes, finally got it out, and when he skating over to the bench Roy goes up to him and says something (probably negative). Plus there's all the quotes/interviews during the season where I got the sense that Roy wasn't happy with him.

I don't think Roy particularly hated Zadorov, just that I believe he was stung they traded away O'Reilly with Nikita being the main piece coming back (which he wasn't NHL ready). I hope that makes sense.

His tenure from when he was hired to when he resigned. We all knew that as each season came up, his power was decreasing more and more. Yes he was here for only three years, but I am very sure that there were a lot of moves he would have rather made which never transpired.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If anything Zads was one of Roy's projects. Zadorov talked in interviews about how Roy wanted him to follow his pass and chase the play. As the play breaks out of the zone he didn't want him standing straight or tall. He wanted his knees bent following the play. I don't know if I've ever heard of Roy talking in such detail about any other player like that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
FWIW, I think it was one of the BSN guys who recently said Roy wanted the option of sending of Zadorov to the AHL again next season but Sakic said no. Don't know if it's true or how they'd know but it was mentioned on one of the recent podcasts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad