How worthless is the " Messier leadership " award?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think if we're talking about "worth," it's about half-way between Lay's Classic Potato Chips and Lay's Lightly Salted Potato Chips. I'm not sure if it's ahead of the Lay's Sea Salt and Pepper Potato Chips, but the last poll I saw on TSN had it ahead of both Lays Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips and Lay's Smokey Bacon Potato Chips.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
It should've been named after Jean Beliveau.

Messier's too controversial of a player after a number of really bad hits and his time in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oryxo

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
There should be two Mark Messier awards. The other is called the Old Moose award for the player that best exemplifies individual selfishness like sitting out because you think you're not paid enough, sitting out to be traded, forcing players to lose a letter to them, forcing numbers to be unretired, playing in meaningless exhibitions while still an active player for a different team, refusing to retire when you can hardly play anymore and dogging it in practice to set a good example. You know, the qualities of a true leader.

Reactions: HugginThePost

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
should be renamed the ''dirtiest player with no hair left but is still a great player'' award. Sounds alot like Getlzaf to me. lol

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He was just fine in Vancouver.

What other fanbase puts their hopes on a 36 year old?

Until this day, not a single Canuck fan could explain to me with any degree of rationality why they hate Messier and Keenan.
I'm guessing you're trying to get a rise out of Canucks fans?

I'm not even a fan but of the team but Messier's misdeeds with Vancouver are pretty clear, starting with the hit on Linden in 94. Underperforming on a big contract, blaming things like the quality of the ice, wearing Maki's number, taking the C from real leader Linden.

I can't imagine if someone joining the Wings, wore Konstantinov's number, took the C from Yzerman, AND underperformed on top of all that. They'd be dead to Wings fans for all eternity.

Reactions: Sayonara77

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I'm guessing you're trying to get a rise out of Canucks fans?

I'm not even a fan but of the team but Messier's misdeeds with Vancouver are pretty clear, starting with the hit on Linden in 94. Underperforming on a big contract, blaming things like the quality of the ice, wearing Maki's number, taking the C from real leader Linden.

I can't imagine if someone joining the Wings, wore Konstantinov's number, took the C from Yzerman, AND underperformed on top of all that. They'd be dead to Wings fans for all eternity.
Is it THAT bad? First the wings would never allow something like that but if so? Detroit would burn.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Its worthless because how the hell do you know when you vote who the best leaders in the rooms are?
"Messier solicited suggestions from teams and League personnel and fans, but the former Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers and Vancouver Canucks captain makes the final selection of the three finalists and the winner".

Messier was a great player and captain and im a NYR fan but how on earth does he know who the best leaders are on every team and compare them to each other. You have to be on the inside of every team on a daily basis to actually have a valid opinion on it.

yeah,kinda tough to take an award seriously when the concept itself is so flawed

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Is it THAT bad? First the wings would never allow something like that but if so? Detroit would burn.
That's pretty much what he did in Vancouver. In my example I forgot to start with imagining a player cheapshotted Yzerman in the playoffs, then came to the team a few years later and took his captaincy.

And I didn't even get into the stuff about his role in shipping players out and having the owner and GM's ear on personnel because it's harder to know for sure how true that was.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Saku Koivu -leadership award would make more sense to me. Sort of combination of Lady Byng, Bill Masterton, King Clancy trophies with long term captaincy ('C' and/or 'A') requirement for eligibility. Something like:

I have no bigger objections about winners of Messier's award, Messier himself being very well eligible for this hypothetic Saku Koivu -award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad