How worthless is the " Messier leadership " award?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Look, I'm sorry McDavid wasn't anointed as a Hockey God immediately coming into the NHL, I'm sure he'll get over, maybe you will one day too.

Cry me a river. I’m just going to put you on ignore, because you’re just de railing a thread.

If you don’t like my posts, do the same.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
messier was an overrated leader. When he came to vancouver he promised the same thing and they didnt even make the playoffs, lol.

Reactions: BeastoftheEast85

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's the most overrated captain in NHL history. I even think Dustin Brown is a much... better captain than he'll ever be, as well as probably 100 other captains.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'm still amazed we have a Mark Messier award but not a Wayne Gretzky award. Then again it might have to do with Gretzky actually trying to coach, which makes him less "removed from the game", which would make it a bit awkward if a player wins the "Gretzky award" while he plays against Gretzky as a coach.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Only player ever to captain 2 different teams to a cup.
It's always funny to me when people use captain as a verb. He was the captain of two teams that won the Cup. It's not like he did it all himself.

And his antics and Vancouver put more than a small stain on his leadership legend.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's probably the least prestigious award and the fact Messier gets the ultimate say is a a joke and only inflates his large enough already ego.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
One of the dumber trophies the NHL hands out, to be honest. The fact that Messier actually picks the finalists and winner just makes it even worse.
Good lord. I didn't know he picked the finalist and winner.

One guy picking the finalists and winner? and that one guy is Messier? Then yes, it is a pretty worthless award.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It's worth more than the Messier Elbow to the Head award...but that has negative value...where we are not entirely sure if this does or not...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->