How will you react?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I predicted a month or so that Tavares would end up with around 67 points this year (I don't remember the exact number). I wouldn't be surprised if Marner struggled this season as well. Players like Matthews, Nylander and Gardiner could struggle as they try to overcome their disappointing playoffs. Freddie could have a similar start as the previous two seasons. The team could easily get off to a rough start and take a psychological hit. So my reaction would be....shrug...these things happen.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'll give him until December , if he ain't putting up a PPG post December , maybe switch the lines up

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Year 1 of 7, to be quite honest id give him a pass for the whole season...... but he wont need it.

Chemistry might take some time, finding the right line mates might take some time and so might the points. I do expect JT to bring his strong two way game from the start though just like Patty, effort always translates.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If we are in a playoff spot then it doesn't mean a damn thing. Let's be honest here JT's legacy in Toronto is going to be made or broken in April not October. It doesn't matter.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Here's the thing. Matthews, Kadri and Tavares will support each other so the pressure isn't as high on the individual player. That's why signing Tavares is so massive for us. It should also allow the player to play a little looser knowing that he has 2 excellent lines coming off the bench immediately after him. I've seen Islanders make that claim that we will "turn on him" if he is slow out of the gate and I completely disagree. As long as we are winning, I don't care at all how many points he scores or if he is slow out of the gate. (It's still Matthews' team after all :sarcasm:) If all 3 lines are struggling then it's different!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Here's the thing. Matthews, Kadri and Tavares will support each other so the pressure isn't as high on the individual player. That's why signing Tavares is so massive for us. It should also allow the player to play a little looser knowing that he has 2 excellent lines coming off the bench immediately after him. I've seen Islanders make that claim that we will "turn on him" if he is slow out of the gate and I completely disagree. As long as we are winning, I don't care at all how many points he scores or if he is slow out of the gate. (It's still Matthews' team after all :sarcasm:) If all 3 lines are struggling then it's different!

Absolutely. The problem here is that we have a fan base posting unachievable goals for Tavares on the main boards, setting themselves up for disappointment. And I'm just curious if any of them reading this thread and not posting have the self awareness to cut it the f*** out?

Last edited:

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Absolutely. The problem here is that we have a fan base posting achievable goals for Tavares on the main boards, setting themselves up for disappointment. And I'm just curious if any of them reading this thread and not posting have the self awareness to cut it the **** out?
Yep. We have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, etc. We no longer are in a position when we need to focus on an individual player's success or stats (like Kessel tenure for example), when we now have the luxury of spreading out minutes should be required. Instead a better focus of Tavares being on the team is the defensive pairing he faces and if the team assigns their #1 pairing on Tavares, how does Matthews and Kadri's lines benefit. And vice versa when the opposing team assigns their #1 pair on Matthews. We do not need to look at the players stats at all this year and just focus on the W-L column. I can admit I don't care at all, because stats at the end of the day are all circumstantial and it's more of the impact on the overall team game is all I care about.

Reactions: dsred and Drytoast

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Who cares, wins are all that matters and if the team is winning then Tavares's point totals are an afterthought.

I'm sure there'll be trolling on both sides of the aisle but its best to ignore and not get sucked in though.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Who cares, wins are all that matters and if the team is winning then Tavares's point totals are an afterthought.

I'm sure there'll be trolling on both sides of the aisle but its best to ignore and not get sucked in though.

Who cares?

Sir, should Tavares have a slow start and not average 1+ points per game out of the box, you are about to find out "who cares"

Reactions: BM14

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Who cares?

Sir, should Tavares have a slow start and not average 1+ points per game out of the box, you are about to find out "who cares"

You're right, there will inevitably be many who will care about Tavares's point totals.

Meanwhile, I'll be interested in where the Leafs are in the standings and how the D is playing because I know that the Leafs's success will not depend on whether Tavares puts up 80 or 50 points.

This ain't a David Clarkson-level player here.

Reactions: Drytoast

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
You're right, there will inevitably be many who will care about Tavares's point totals.

Meanwhile, I'll be interested in where the Leafs are in the standings and how the D is playing because I know that the Leafs's success will not depend on whether Tavares puts up 80 or 50 points.

This ain't a David Clarkson-level player here.

As will I, the point of this not so subtle thread was to tell those that we both know are emotional and highly susceptible to panic, to calm the f*** down.

;)

They are reading this thread but not posting in it, because they can't honestly face themselves or their demons. So I may have to bump this thread should Taveres not score out of the gate at a gretzky like pace.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Let's be honest.. If he goes pointless in his first two games some "Neutral" fan will have a bashing thread on the mains made. Then we will have 16 pages of how over rated and over paid he is, LOL Leafs, etc.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What does starting slow against the Habs and Sens mean?

This is a year where more will be asked of the big 3, Rielly, Dermott and another dman, who hasn't be discovered yet.
Less will be asked of Freddy and Hainsey-I can hope.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
JT's transition to the Leafs will come without any decline in his play... this will be no different than John joining a stacked Team Canada.

Tavares is gonna bring the heat from his very first game... watch for the opposite of slow start to unfold with Tavares and Marner together.

ICECOLDBEER

Apr 2, 2017
I think he'll be just fine. But I remember some Islander fans somewhere saying he was a slow starter.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Let's say Tavares comes out of the gate slow...and he's not potting 2 points a game? Or even 1 point? The Leafs are winning but he and Marner are struggling to instantly click like you all seem to assume he's gonna because...you know...reasons?

What do you mean reasons? Reasons like...enormous offensive talent?

Are you gonna spam this board with Tavares hate threads in September as you panic your way into an early heart attack?

Just put it out here now. Let us all know how you would react if 2 weeks in and JT only has a few points...secondary assists or the like.

How will you react?

Me? Won't be worried at all. If all opposing teams spend all their effort trying to shut down the JT/Marner train allowing Matthews and Willie to light it up...and we are winning.

I won't care.

Like not even 1 little smidgen of a bit.

If your question is "will dumb threads be started when anything happens" the answer is obviously yes.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What do you mean reasons? Reasons like...enormous offensive talent?

If your question is "will dumb threads be started when anything happens" the answer is obviously yes.
This thread is proof that dumb threads will be started even when nothing happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->