How will you feel if Washington wins the #1 pick in 2012, with the pick from Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I think Avs fans and Caps haters are being delusional about this. Not that the Avs are a bad team. But their run two years ago was a fluke. This year was more realistic. They have a great, but YOUNG core. They now have a great,but fluky goalie. The absolute stupidest thing they could've ever done was give away their top pick next year, knowing they've been set up to pick pretty high.

As I said, the Avs aren't bad, but the West is so deep, I see it as almost impossible for them to compete next season. The Wild, the Oilers, Avs, Stars, Islanders, and Panthers will be competing for the top five picks.

What makes you say the 2009 season was the fluke and not the two seasons where they had one of the highest man games lost to injury and two back up goalies? The parody in hockey is ultra small, simply staying healthy plus the new players they've gotten makes the Avs a lot better team then people give credit. And simply go to the thread with people ranking recent draft picks to see how underrated Duchene is.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Absolutely embarrassing trade for the Avs. I'm definitely looking forward to see who the caps are picking in the top-5 next season..

5.5 per for SV is the definition of insanity....

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Absolutely embarrassing trade for the Avs. I'm definitely looking forward to see who the caps are picking in the top-5 next season..

5.5 per for SV is the definition of insanity....
You should learn to read then. It's not 5.5M. CapGeek has it as a 3 year deal with a cap hit of 2.833M.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The good news is that the Avs will almost definitely not be in the bottom 5 or even 10 next season. They'll probably contend for a playoff spot or be in the playoffs.

To put it this way, there were rumors the Avs were trading this year's #11 + a 2nd or meh young player for Bernier. Instead, we trade NEXT YEAR's 1st and 2nd rounders, and there's a very, very good chance that those 1sts are higher than #11.

For everyone thinking Avs are a bottom team, watch out. There's really quite a bit of great talent on the team if everyone is healthy and the D is much bigger and better this year.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah we didn't get McClemment or Siemens with the draft pick.

We just traded Stewy and Shatty for a Dick. :yo:

Yeah, and the Blues also got Rattie with the pick they got from the Avs. The full trade is EJ, McClement & Siemens for Stewart, Shattenkirk and Rattie. I admit it's going to be a LONG TIME until the results of the trade are fully known (who knows exactly what EJ, Stewart and Shatty will become, let alone Siemens and Rattie) but right now, I definitely like it for the Blues. With Petro emerging as a potential future Norris candidate, EJ was expendable and Stewy and Shatty really help fill needs. I'd trade for those two any day with the main piece going the other way being a d-man who has every physical tool in the game but lacks a big one - the mental tool, hockey sense. He's not as dumb as a rock or anything but EJ's hockey sense is very average and that's going to keep him from being truly elite IMO. McClement's a good 3rd/4th line center to have but a guy like him is fairly easy to replace.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I think trading a 2012 1st and a conditional 2nd to WSH for Varlamov was a horrible panic move. I get the sense that talks with Vokoun broke down so Sherman panicked and made this trade to fill the goalie spot. I've always liked the Avs and Matt Duchene's one of my favorite players but I could easily see them finishing bottom 10 again and if so, that's way too valuable of a pick to give up for Varlamov. But hey, at least you guys didn't give up a 2nd overall, 9th overall & 32nd overall for Phil Kessel!

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
If the Avs, and Varlamov in particular can stay healthy all season I don't think they'll be a bottom 5 team. Thats a big if, though.

4thliner*

Yeah, and the Blues also got Rattie with the pick they got from the Avs. The full trade is EJ, McClement & Siemens for Stewart, Shattenkirk and Rattie. I admit it's going to be a LONG TIME until the results of the trade are fully known (who knows exactly what EJ, Stewart and Shatty will become, let alone Siemens and Rattie) but right now, I definitely like it for the Blues. With Petro emerging as a potential future Norris candidate, EJ was expendable and Stewy and Shatty really help fill needs. I'd trade for those two any day with the main piece going the other way being a d-man who has every physical tool in the game but lacks a big one - the mental tool, hockey sense. He's not as dumb as a rock or anything but EJ's hockey sense is very average and that's going to keep him from being truly elite IMO. McClement's a good 3rd/4th line center to have but a guy like him is fairly easy to replace.

That is the weird thing about the 2011 draft, the DEPTH and the fact that after the first 8-9 picks (surprise pick Scheifele not with standing) it was all over the place. I could easily see Rattie being a better prospect than Seimens. A number of excellent high ceiling prospects and dman went all over the 2nd round i.e. Jurco, Mayfeild, Grimaldi, Prince, Khokhlachev, Saad, Jenner, even John Gibson (only goalie with franchise upside tag). These were all very legit solid 1st round picks in just about any other year. For example In March of 2011 the Red Line Report ranked Prince as the 11th best skater in the world amongst skaters eligible for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft before his late season concussion. Rattie was at one point rated mid 1st round 10-15. Jenner was 16th according to mynhldraft final mock in June 24 just hours before the draft, Jurco 18, Saad 24 etc.

Jul 10, 2010
Colorado looks pretty solid right now, and barring injuries, we should at LEAST make the 2nd round of the playoffs. Our core is still intact, and anybody lost was replaced by somebody as good or better.

That being said, it was an overpayment on our behalf, but Sherman apparently doesn't mind overpaying for players he values, especially if it's an organizational hole.

the are 5 current "juggernauts" in the west. San jose, Detriot, Los Angleas, vancouver and Chicago. All 5 will make the playoffs. Id be willing to be money 4 of those 5 will make up the 2nd round. And well were at it, do you think your better then Nashville? Thats 6 spots taken. What about Anahiem? St.Louis? Columbus even? Thats 9 teams people can make an arguement for to finish ahead of the avs.

Now your not gonna be Minnesota or Edmonton low either, but a bottom 5 in the conferance should be expected, especially if a team like Calgary can gel, phoenix doesnt fall and Dallas plays like the first half of last year,

HOLDITHERE*

What makes you say the 2009 season was the fluke and not the two seasons where they had one of the highest man games lost to injury and two back up goalies? The parody in hockey is ultra small, simply staying healthy plus the new players they've gotten makes the Avs a lot better team then people give credit. And simply go to the thread with people ranking recent draft picks to see how underrated Duchene is.

Parody?

And I wasn't attacking your team. I mean, if people would actually read, my reason was because the West is so deep. I gave them credit for being a good team, but with the Wings, Sharks, Nucks, Hawks, Ducks, etc...they have a very high chance of giving us a high pick next season.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I know it's a long time until the 2012 NHL Draft Lottery, but assuming the Avalanche are one of the bottom 5 teams next season and end up with the worst record, how would you feel about Washington possibly getting the #1 overall pick in the 2012 NHL Draft? They are already a deep team who should be making a serious run for the Stanley Cup and possibly getting lucky with another great player in the draft.

I'd feel the same way that I did going into the 2011 draft where the Stanley Cup Champion had a another top 10 pick.

:facepalm: x 1,000,000

SP

Oct 24, 2006
I know it's a long time until the 2012 NHL Draft Lottery, but assuming the Avalanche are one of the bottom 5 teams next season and end up with the worst record, how would you feel about Washington possibly getting the #1 overall pick in the 2012 NHL Draft? They are already a deep team who should be making a serious run for the Stanley Cup and possibly getting lucky with another great player in the draft.

The same way I felt when Boston drafted second overall.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Most pleased.

Cheering like hell for both the Avalanche and Varlamov (both of whom I like) to excel in subsequent years, however. I just can't be an Avalanche fan for a year, anymore.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I hope Avs fans now understand the Leaf fans pain we went through. Then if by chance Washington does pick top 5, be prepared for more trolling ****.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Maybe they pull a Greg Joly or Nolan Baumgartner out of this pick. :)

Wish in one hand and **** in the other...

The Caps scouting is so much improved from years past. It's more likely they pull an Alzner, Carlson, or Backstrom. I really don't think it will be a top 3 pick, but think it will end up between 7-13. I'll take it. :)

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Colorado is simply not finishing last. I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if they made the playoffs. How would I feel if it happened though? ****ing relieved, not because I dislike Colorado (I actually really like the Avs) but because the West is tough enough as is. They have a good core of young stars right now and if they selected #1 overall I think it would only be a matter of time until they contend for a Cup.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
I hope Avs fans now understand the Leaf fans pain we went through. Then if by chance Washington does pick top 5, be prepared for more trolling ****.

Seems that we have to face it now, before the puck even dropped. It's amazing how much other fanbases seems to like making fun of others, especially those cupless fans or the one who hasn't even got to playoff in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad