How will you feel if Washington wins the #1 pick in 2012, with the pick from Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
But how is that relevant? Isn't Varlamov a core player going forward?
Yes he is, but the Leafs made that trade without any young talent to help Kessel out. The Avs have already had two top 3 picks in the last 3 years. Their core is set and they believe they've added the final piece of the core going forward in a position they needed.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So your whole opinion on this matter is just glancing at the standings? Right... why did you make this thread?
Well had the Leafs traded their 1st round pick in 2012 I bet you there would be a million threads saying oh there goes another top 5 pick and etc. So when looking at the standings it's a reasonable thing to comment on which is a true fact.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
This is nothing like the Leafs trade, the Avs team is done rebuilding and set for the foreseeable future. The Leafs were not. The Avs traded for a #1 goalie, not a winger. A 30-30, 1 dimensional winger isn't nearly as valuable as #1 goalie, and Burke expected a lot more then a 30-30 player.

Kershaw

Yes he is, but the Leafs made that trade without any young talent to help Kessel out. The Avs have already had two top 3 picks in the last 3 years. Their core is set and they believe they've added the final piece of the core going forward in a position they needed.

Different teams take different routes to rebuild. No one would have thought the Bruins were going to win the cup if you asked when they were beaten by Montreal in the playoffs.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This is Kessel and/or Penner all over again. A year of fretting and griping. :laugh:

Regardless, Avs in the year they made the playoffs - were an offensive dynamo. When healthy they should be a great team. They are nothing like the crappy Leafs nor my Oilers... however they had goaltending and defense issues which mostly seemed addressed. IMO they make the playoffs but are punted out in the first round. So... is pick 19 worth the goalie?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is Kessel and/or Penner all over again. A year of fretting and griping. :laugh:

Regardless, Avs in the year they made the playoffs - were an offensive dynamo. When healthy they should be a great team. They are nothing like the crappy Leafs nor my Oilers... however they had goaltending and defense issues which mostly seemed addressed. IMO they make the playoffs but are punted out in the first round. So... is pick 19 worth the goalie?

If it's 15th+ I have no worries. Less than that I will be pissed.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Well had the Leafs traded their 1st round pick in 2012 I bet you there would be a million threads saying oh there goes another top 5 pick and etc. So when looking at the standings it's a reasonable thing to comment on which is a true fact.

So based on standings... the Devils will be a lottery team again n 2012? Injuries do happen.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
How will you feel if Colorado gets a Vezina winner, with the trade from Washington?

At least the Caps didn't get nothing.

If they get a good draft pick I'd be thrilled. However, i'm thinking I could be feasibly anywhere between about 8-25.

they have colorado's second too...just depends on year.

Vincek40

Mar 21, 2007
Winnipeg
I know it's a long time until the 2012 NHL Draft Lottery, but assuming the Avalanche are one of the bottom 5 teams next season and end up with the worst record, how would you feel about Washington possibly getting the #1 overall pick in the 2012 NHL Draft? They are already a deep team who should be making a serious run for the Stanley Cup and possibly getting lucky with another great player in the draft.

Maybe you should just ask Boston fans....Seems this scenario has played out once or twice before ;)

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
At least the Caps didn't get nothing.

If they get a good draft pick I'd be thrilled. However, i'm thinking I could be feasibly anywhere between about 8-25.

they have colorado's second too...just depends on year.

They have Boston's 2nd for 2012, or Colorado's 2nd on 2013

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I will just have to shake my head. I haven't a clue what they were thinking. A second would have sufficed.

The Mauve Avenger

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I get the feeling that Avs fans are going to get the "Phil Kessel" treatment this year on HFBoards, where there will be lots of pointless threads questioning the move.

Anyway, good goaltending should put them out of the top 5 or possibly even top 10. They could get that out of Varlamov.

Vincek40

Mar 21, 2007
Winnipeg
lol. There is a lot to prove for the Avs. Other than Jones and Hejduk, the wingers are crap, there defense is below average, and Varlamov has played what 40 career games, not to mention he's made of glass. I'm shocked that a 1st rounder from a stacked draft was given away, they could have parted with some prospects in their pool, for example a Tyson Barrie-Semyon Varlamov swap would've been fair. But a team coming off a 2nd last place and throwing the dice praying for huge improvements is far too risky.

So they should have traded a prospect that looks to have a bright future instead, just so they can draft another prospect next year that they hope will have a bright future?
People on here seem to value draft picks more then actual players.... newsflash, those picks turn into said players.

Kershaw

So they should have traded a prospect that looks to have a bright future instead, just so they can draft another prospect next year that they hope will have a bright future?
People on here seem to value draft picks more then actual players.... newsflash, those picks turn into said players.

Well look at the thread title. Do you know who is ranked top 5? Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galyenchuk, Murray, Reinhart. This may be one of the best drafts all time and the avalanche traded a pick that MAY end up in the top 5, thus giving away an elite prospect. Varlamov really hasn't improved in 2 years, looked to have a bright future after the playoff run but he's been injured.

Honestly, would you trade your 1st rounder for a guy like Frolik? This is the case where you value the pick ahead of a prospect.

Buzzo

Oct 5, 2009
How will you feel if Colorado gets a Vezina winner, with the trade from Washington?

As a Caps fan, I was surprised we got anything back remotely this good, he was not going to re-sign in Washington anyway so I think even the potential of possibly getting a franchise player at the expense of a position we were already pretty strong in is a fair gamble for us (if you want to call it that). I wish Varly the best in Colorado but he wasn't the direction this team needed to go, and him becoming successful in for the Av's doesn't change that.

4thliner*

Oilers are getting Yakupov so things are good.:laugh:

They will still have Grigorenko or Galchenyuk to choose from lol, you know 2 players with just about as much talent and better size than Nail.

Daamn....if you are a team picking in the top 5 of next year's draft. I say that cuz I believe at least 2 Canadian/American dman will be near the level of the Russian forwards.

Vincek40

Mar 21, 2007
Winnipeg
Well look at the thread title. Do you know who is ranked top 5? Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galyenchuk, Murray, Reinhart. This may be one of the best drafts all time and the avalanche traded a pick that MAY end up in the top 5, thus giving away an elite prospect. Varlamov really hasn't improved in 2 years, looked to have a bright future after the playoff run but he's been injured.

Honestly, would you trade your 1st rounder for a guy like Frolik? This is the case where you value the pick ahead of a prospect.

I understand what you are saying, and Im not defending the move at all, I dont think it is a smart one. But IMO it seems as though Colorado is confident they wont draft in that range. As well, theres still alot of whatifs and though its said to be one of the best drafts in awhile, you still never know what is going to happen. Trades like these cant be fully evaluated until all the picks have been made and the players are well into their careers.

lakeyn2

Jul 31, 2010
imagine if they got a top 3 pick then traded backstrom for another one and drafted yakupov and grigerenko...

ovechkin grigerenko yakupov....

have fun stoping that

one can only dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->