World Cup: How will we remember World Cup 2018?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
This world cup had been awesome so far, one if the best I've seen in a long time.

While the results are fun, the quality of Football on display is quite poor. Flair and creativity seems to have been completely overtaken by strength and physicality.

A Rui Costa or a Juan Riquelme in this day and age would be turned into tracking back and pressing robots.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
While the results are fun, the quality of Football on display is quite poor. Flair and creativity seems to have been completely overtaken by strength and physicality.

A Rui Costa or a Juan Riquelme in this day and age would be turned into tracking back and pressing robots.

That's true. But at least this time around it's teams pressing and playing "Atletico Madrid" style, like Uruguay, and not some Italia '90 double block at 30m from your won goal line (tbf Russia did that vs Spain, but you can hardly blame them).

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
That's true. But at least this time around it's teams pressing and playing "Atletico Madrid" style, like Uruguay, and not some Italia '90 double block at 30m from your won goal line (tbf Russia did that vs Spain, but you can hardly blame them).
It's not surprising. Very aggressive pressing has been the thing since the middle of the 2000s (at least that's my impression). Everyone trying to win plays that style.

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
Too much penalties

VAR

Dirty Argentina,especially Otamendi

Pretty mediocratic football

No Italy

Total disaster of African football

Japan anti fair-play vs Poland

Messi,C.Ronaldo,Modric,Eriksen missed penalties

CR7 hattrick vs Spain

Diego Costa,Ramos and Pepe actually not being dirty as usual

De Gea awful form

Spain sacked coach day before 1st match

Argebtina started match with Dybala,Higuain and Aguero on bench

Crazy match between Argentina and France + 2 goals by 19yo Mbappe and epic 40m run

Last edited:

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
I don't wanna be "that guy", but he got 2 goals. Won the penalties and was fantastic, but no hatty.
Damn,you are totally right. I'm still impressed by that crazy 40m run,that I totally forgot about penalty. Good catch,anyway.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Would that hypocrisy and shameless bandwagon-jumping was exclusively restricted to English politicians.

Oh our president went into the Croatia lockerroom and posted selfies on the interwebz.
All you can do for political points etc...

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Russia being a great host, aside from those apes shouting rossija in every game.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For a lot of the bigger teams and even mid tier to upper end ones this WC will be remembered as the "one that got a way"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->