World Cup: How will we remember World Cup 2018?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It is not even in playoffs, but there are already moments, that will define this World Cup.

Here are some examples:

- Video
- Many many many many and even more penalties
- Only a few goals from direct play
- Many goals in 90+ minute
- Germany not in playoff

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Hard to say when we're only getting to the knockout stages.

VAR will definitely leave its mark - mostly a good one - and players will need to start being more careful in the box.

The Germany thing will definitely be remembered because it's Germany, but it's not the first time a tournament favorite bombed out in the group stage - won't be the last either.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
VAR will definitely leave its mark - mostly a good one - and players will need to start being more careful in the box.

You think? When I see the players all crowding around the ref making the VAR sign, it makes me think embellishment in the box is going to get even worse. Any times rules change to try to make things more fair, humans generally end up just finding ways to play the system. It's going to take some tough willpower from refs to weather this storm.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You think? When I see the players all crowding around the ref making the VAR sign, it makes me think embellishment in the box is going to get even worse. Any times rules change to try to make things more fair, humans generally end up just finding ways to play the system. It's going to take some tough willpower from refs to weather this storm.

It won't be smooth sailing, but yes, VAR is a good thing - and it will only get better.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
VAR is definitely a positive and without a doubt the defining aspect of this tournament.

The Neymar penalty reversal gives us hope for removing the cheating out of the game. The final step will be reviewing matches after the fact and handing out suspensions to divers and embellishers. 3 months of this and the game would be cleaned out for good.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Honestly, this has been the least enjoyed WC for me personally.

VAR has ruined the charm, too many weird inconsistent calls, too many Pk's.

And the team I support have been an embarrasment.

I dunno, I just haven't gotten that WC fever like other WC's.
I enjoyed 2006 and 2014 more, and they were without Denmark.

Reactions: canuckking1

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
VAR. Because of it, lots of penalty shots. Germany out in the group stage, no Italy. Neymar and his primadonna vibes & continous diving. Maradona and his double bird flip.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Typically you end up remembering events at the beginning and the end of the tournament. ;)

That being said, I'd say it's the fact that pretty much all of the favourites struggled from time to time.

One has to wonder if VAR helps to balance out officiating bias against the weaker/smaller teams.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It will remembered as the best chance Germany had of freeing itself from Jogi before a new wave of german talent covered up his incompetence.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'll remember it as the biggest shame in German football history. The next year, they should all play with a paper bag over their head.

Reactions: Evilo

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think VAR need some tweeking and that being one. Embellishment & hand ball have been inconsistent but overall it has been very good I think.

Ex. Neymar getting denied a penalty for embellishment is a positive.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Way too early to hazard even a guess--though Germany's exit will undoubtedly stand out one way or another.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
VAR will be remembered, so will Germany going out but it won't be the big stories. The big stories are invariably written in the K.O. stages. One of the painful lessons for fans of big teams that go out early is that the world moves on and eventually they are just a footnote.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So far, I'll remember it as the most fun group stage that I can remember. Lots of nail-biters.

Making a prediction, I think it'll be remembered as a tournament in which underdogs went deep.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Typically you end up remembering events at the beginning and the end of the tournament. ;)

That being said, I'd say it's the fact that pretty much all of the favourites struggled from time to time.

One has to wonder if VAR helps to balance out officiating bias against the weaker/smaller teams.

Yep, all my European friends think VAR is great and really helps, and no that's not limited to Swedes as I work with many different nationalities.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
The tournament where Harry Kane and England shocked the world and returned to the top of the world while breaking a 50+ year drought. :sarcasm:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
15301309011910.jpg

Anyway, too early to tell... let's see how things unfold in the knockout stage first.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
How do we remember the 2014 WC? Germany winning and the 7-1 drubbing of Brazil are obvious. But after that? I'm a Dutch supporter, so Van Persie's flying header against Spain stands out (less the skill, more just the amazing image of it). What else really stands out as a lasting memory?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad