How will the Sens spend the contract extension money ?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Sens management had made it clear that the organization tabled very fair contract extensions to Duchene, Stone and Karlsson

That’s around an additional 25 million a season Melnyk was willing to invest into this club.

I get that we should not be going into ufa offering big time contracts... the money should be there to get a top quality President and Coach to start the reinvestment

So how will the Sens use that contract extension money it’s sitting on?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
they offered EK money first, then they offered that money to Duchene, then they offered it to stone, its not a total of 20-30M its about 9-11M

So they never intended to keep the three players... goes against what the organization had stated publicly

Reactions: DJB

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So they never intended to keep the three players... goes against what the organization had stated publicly

The organization has stated a lot of lies publicly. Erik Karlsson will not be traded. Turris missed games due to the flu. Lehner is our goalie of the future. We are confident we will get Mark Stone done, thats why we turned this RFA into a UFA... This trade isnt about the money(Zibanejad trade). We will spend when the time is right. We will spend in 2021-2025. Melnyk doesn't make hockey decisions I do. I don't feel there is a disconnect between us and the fanbase.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We were apparently budgeting around 70 mil ( minus what insurance covers) and have 43 committed for next year with 7 spots to fill. If our budget remains close to consistent and assuming all the non-player expenses have remained constant we should have room to play with. There is value in shifting some of that spending capacity to future years when the team is more ready to compete and we will see revenues drop with the team having not been competitive but i think we should have the capacity to pay a POHO fair market value if the will is there

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Take a piece of paper write 25 million on it. Fold it in half and put it in your pocket.

That's exactly what Melnyk will be doing with it.

Reactions: Variable26

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
White 7 years x 4.5M-5.5
Nilsson 2 years x 3m
Duclair 1 x 750k
Gibbons 1 x 900k(ufa)
ceci moved.

Don't see them signing many ufa's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clayonator

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I don't have a problem believing that they can spend that money and that they would have liked to sign all three... but on their conditions, which is without the lockout proof signing bonuses

Melnyk spends a lot of money already, but it's still not enough to follow the evolution of the market. Big markets are about to be advantaged big time. It's rising so fast that it will be almost like there's no salary cap anymore

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
At this point makes no sense to spend money unless is taking back a bad contract for a very good asset. I however would not mind a solid d-man back their to stabilize the young guys and mentor them at the price and age.

The money needs to be spent on a good coach and poho.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Young guys need to develop, so they should spend the money, at this stage, on stop gap measures. Leave the Killer Bs in Belleville for the year. Get the Gibbons types, even sign for 2 years if need be, to ensure that the lineup is not overwhelmed with youth.

Spend on President, and maybe hire Crow for a year extension and go with a higher profile coach the year after.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Take a piece of paper write 25 million on it. Fold it in half and put it in your pocket.

That's exactly what Melnyk will be doing with it.

Take a piece of paper, write a proposal to borrow 25 million on it. Hand it to a banker. Have him slam a « declined » stamp on it in red. Then hand it to Melnyk who folds it and puts it in his pocket.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The thing I'd actually like to see them do is lock up White and Wolanin to long term deals like Murray did with Turris. Offer them 5-6 year deals at more money than they'd get on a 1 or 2 year deal before they breakout to save for Tkachuk and Chabots eventual mega deals. Gives them more flexibility if Brown or Bathersom have big breakouts and need big contracts down the line too.

Something along the lines of 4M × 6 for White, 2.75 × 5 for Wolanin.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I like CW so far but I don’t see anything that confirms he is better than Wideman 2.0 yet. They are both undersized top DMAN in AHL who struggle in their own end.

I think we are underestimating Duclair. I doubt he signs for league min.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I like CW so far but I don’t see anything that confirms he is better than Wideman 2.0 yet. They are both undersized top DMAN in AHL who struggle in their own end.

I think we are underestimating Duclair. I doubt he signs for league min.
Is being 6'2 undersized in today's NHL? Personally, I think Wolanin showed a lot more in his own end as a rookie than Wideman ever did, not to mention literally more than double the production in his rookie year being 2 years younger.

So sure, same as Wideman but 4 inches taller, better offensively, defensively and quicker.

No one should expect Duclair to accept league min. He's a at least a 2-3M dollar player in the short term.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Pretty sure he's earmarked that $$$ already....

sailboat-names-ideas.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Looking forward to spending our cap space on a sick EA NHL 2010 All-Star starting lineup of Marian Gaborik, Roberto Luongo, 1/4th of Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Kesler, as well as up and coming young prospect Clarke MacArthur.

Reactions: Cosmix and BigRig4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->