How will the Karlsson situation play out?

What happens to Karlsson?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just checked capfriendly. Says he signed on June 26, 2016 so he never officially had a chance to "shop around", unless there was a subtle change in the rules the last couple of years.

You can be given permission to talk to other teams or other teams can be given permission to talk to you. In those discussions you can test the waters but you cannot come to any binding agreements

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Look if trading EK has to happen ,I think many here could get over it with time...But trading him to get out of a bad contract ,thus lowering his value ..And sinking the team ,is where most have drawn the line...No more parting out assets that can keep the team competitive for cash

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
You can be given permission to talk to other teams or other teams can be given permission to talk to you. In those discussions you can test the waters but you cannot come to any binding agreements
Which is exactly what Aragorn said. Who knows if he took meetings with any team other than the Leafs. I'm sure if he got July 1, he would have.

*shrug* Oh well, semantics. Not worth fighting over.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Binding agreements can be verbal. :)
However it is good business practice and required in the NHL to use words written on paper (aka a contractual agreement) and signatures to provide evidence of an agreement.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Was there not a new rule put in place where a week before July 1st teams are allowed to discuss contract with upcoming UFA's?
Ah yes. You are correct.

How Does the NHL's Free Agent System Function?
  • Free Agent Interviews (new for 2013)—Unrestricted free agents may meet and interview with potential new teams from the day after the NHL Entry Draft(but not later than June 25) until June 30.

Makes it even more remarkable that TB was able to hold on to him.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Friedman | Such a nightmare year for Senators | FanRag Sports

Friedman was asked about his gut feel with the Erik Karlsson situation, and if it can be rectified to have the defenseman sign an extension with the Senators.
“I don’t see how under this ownership that’s going to be rectified,” said Friedman. “Erik Karlsson wants to win. They’ll have a great year, but there’s no consistency there. I think Erik Karlsson and them, they wanted to make a deal at the deadline.
“But I think this is partly where Eugene comes in. I think there’s a bit of paralysis there in the sense that I think Pierre Dorion knows he has to make a good hockey trade. And if you’re taking Bobby Ryan, what you get back in return is not that good. I think that’s what happened with Vegas. I think Vegas was like, ‘We’ll take Bobby Ryan,’ but they couldn’t make the best deal and that’s why it happened.
“If he’s there long term under this owner, I’ll be shocked. Or he’s doing it for his family – his wife’s from there, she’s pregnant. Maybe he does it for that, and that’s never a bad reason.”

Looks like our only hope is the pregnant wife. In b4 #fakenews #torontomedia Yada Yada yada.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ah yes. You are correct.

How Does the NHL's Free Agent System Function?
  • Free Agent Interviews (new for 2013)—Unrestricted free agents may meet and interview with potential new teams from the day after the NHL Entry Draft(but not later than June 25) until June 30.

Makes it even more remarkable that TB was able to hold on to him.

Tampa seems like it has a lot going for it to hang on to players. I was not surprised he stayed.
1. Location Location Location
2. Weather
3. Favorable Taxes
4. Excellent Hockey team - Chance to win
5. Management is stable and professional

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
If Eugene was truly creative he would make EK an offer that includes a % of team profits, that is, make him part-owner. Cut salary costs and also reassure fans that Eric will be here for the long run to the Stankey Cup!

Reactions: The Lewler

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looks like our only hope is the pregnant wife. In b4 #fakenews #torontomedia Yada Yada yada.
Good interview.. The reality really is pretty bad .. How thin the organization is , is getting noticed and talked about finally ... that should be a good thing. We need more analysis on that from ex-GMs weighing in on how PD's job with his helper Randy Lee ... being overseen by Melnyk may be his dream job but it could be one hell of a lot better if he had some experienced help around him and a pro scouting staff with some track record and ... Quite a bit to fix in this organization .. I agree that investment in development is needed and is so important ... Melnyk is pinching pennies on all fronts . The league should have standards and a franchise review process to ensure they are being ran properly.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Obviously I don't want EK traded, but if he was, I really hope it's to VGK with a return around Glass and Brannstrom (and maybe Suzuki).

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Eugene was truly creative he would make EK an offer that includes a % of team profits, that is, make him part-owner. Cut salary costs and also reassure fans that Eric will be here for the long run to the Stankey Cup!

Deals cannot be structured that way.

A better solution might be for us to trade for that Erik Karlsson kid out of Carolina and hope the season ticket holders don't notice the difference.

erik_karlsson_052714_full.jpg

Put a goatee on him, problem solved.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Normally I would agree with the pregnant wife thing being a big factor to stay. But, as we know, her family has more wealth than Erik. High wealth also means higher mobility (I seriously doubt she spent her entire life sitting at home in Ottawa). She obviously wouldn't move while pregnant or in the first few months of having her first child, but after that....

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Normally I would agree with the pregnant wife thing being a big factor to stay. But, as we know, her family has more wealth than Erik. High wealth also means higher mobility (I seriously doubt she spent her entire life sitting at home in Ottawa). She obviously wouldn't move while pregnant or in the first few months of having her first child, but after that....
Also, when youre filthy rich, moving is essentially flying to your new multi million dollar mansion while all of your paid underlings do everything for you. So its really only about having to re-locate and leave the community, not the typical obstacles the middle class would face when moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad