How will the Karlsson situation play out?

What happens to Karlsson?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I know its common practice to build billion dollar arenas when they are supported by a terrible fanbase, but maybe this time it's different and we are a super special terrible fanbase who will cause the arena to be cancelled, the Sens to move, the Ottawa River to dry up and the ghosts of the CTC to haunt our dreams for all time.

Exactly, this could come back and bite us you know where.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Been going since 1997. Off the top of my head since Melnyk bought the arena:

- Video screens on wall at Gate 1.
- Wrap around displays on 200 level and 100 level facings
- Scoreboard
- Some repurposed spaces throughout the arena (The Loft, Club Bell, etc)

Nothing really major structural. Very superficial. If Lebreton fell through, I expect that he would have invested in the building. Right now, it would be foolish to - for example - replace the seats or go through a major reno.

Spoken like someone who actually gets it. According to Chezz, he should blow his money and then spend a billion for the new arena. Ever think of the big picture?? Nope, not when its not your money, everyone seems to know how to spend someone else money. Dig into your own pocket and you might think twice about what sound financial investing in your business is.

Reactions: aragorn

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
once the billboards go up Karlsson's probably as good as gone. Melnyk still has a substantial amount of F&*^ you money and if anyone thinks poking the proverbial bear (especially one as vile as most believe him to be ) is somehow going to make him suddenly repent and become a model NHL franchise owner....well let me know how that turns out....and here's a hint...not good.

This could backfire, I have voiced my opinion but obviously I seem to lack any credibility because of "trophy points". If this further tanks the team in attendence for the remaining season and future season tickets hit a wall, then of course, he will be forced to sell his best player EK and more. So, yep, great work billboard dude, and Ottawa thanks you.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh boo
This could backfire, I have voiced my opinion but obviously I seem to lack any credibility because of "trophy points". If this further tanks the team in attendence for the remaining season and future season tickets hit a wall, then of course, he will be forced to sell his best player EK and more. So, yep, great work billboard dude, and Ottawa thanks you.

Oh because blindly supporting the team has got us so far with the current owner. He was selling him before that, he was forcing him out before that. There is a reason that this is happening at all its because EK hates Melnyk, he's the problem.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Spoken like someone who actually gets it. According to Chezz, he should blow his money and then spend a billion for the new arena. Ever think of the big picture?? Nope, not when its not your money, everyone seems to know how to spend someone else money. Dig into your own pocket and you might think twice about what sound financial investing in your business is.

I think the point has gotten lost regarding the "investment". This shouldn't be a debate on if he should be making a massive investment in the current stadium if he is about to build a new one. Obviously that isn't logical.

The original point was simply challenging what Melnyk meant by "investing in the team". ie: Considering that the sens have made an operating profit almost every year, what investments has he actually made beyond the original purchase (not an ongoing investment) and paying the debt interest (which I personally don't consider an investment in the team).

And I am not saying that he has to throw money at the team in the shape of operating losses due to increase scouting, development, promotion and marketing, etc, etc. It's his business. But if he goes that direction then he is open to people calling him out on the "investment" part because paying of a massive debt because you were to cheap to buy the whole thing outright isn't what most people would consider "investing" in the team.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

- Scoreboard

Nothing really major structural. Very superficial. If Lebreton fell through, I expect that he would have invested in the building. Right now, it would be foolish to - for example - replace the seats or go through a major reno.
Believe it or not, Melnyk did not pay for the scoreboard. Bell, and private interests allegedly covered the costs.

It was built *just* in time for the ASG, Bettman flew in to help arrange financing, and Melnyk, as usual, was crying poor.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

It could also lead to a boycott and forcing this owner out of this market. Great result from my point of view, even if it results in some short term pain.

You remember Melnyk promising us pain with a purpose, right?

I'd like to make sure Eugene shares the pain...

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
This could backfire ?

A grassroots small time derisively viewed billboard campaign is going to cause a catastrophe?

How?

Raises ticket prices ? Done .

Cuts front office? Done.

No more investments in arena? Not happening now anyway with Lebreton coming.

Trades Karlsson ? Seems to be on table already.

Trades Stone and Hoffman and Duchene and sits at cap floor ?

Builds a snipers nest in the 400 level and pelts anyone not seen as supporting the dear leader with paintball markers?

Yes Eugene is the owner and he holds all the cards in regards to organizational spending and direction.

However , he doesn't have all the power. If he drives it into the ground and the fanbase checks out, he drives down revenues , increases his debts and causes his asset to lose value.

For all the talk of how valuable the franchise is , is that because of him or inspite of him ? If all the fundamentals go to crap, is it still going to increase in value ? No. No it's not.

That is something he understands and will respond to.

No-one is going to be able to spin the narrative that Ottawa is no longer an NHL city because the fans quit. You have a very definable period of time where it flew off the rails and into a gorge if the backfire doom and gloom prophecies come to pass, and it won't be at the feet of the fanbase except in your dissonance addled fever dreams.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

- Scoreboard

Pretty sure most of these were funded outright by some sort of sponsorship deal, these are in no way things that an owner usually would spend money on. The scoreboard for sure. As for Club Bell, the name speaks for itself, no Melnyk money going in there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't know about anyone else here, but if I was an NHL owner in a medium sized market, where I was iffy about being a 'cap' team....I'd be putting as much money as possible into scouts, a strong developmental AHL team, and good coaches who are known for developing young players. All that costs less than the average NHLer, and has the potential to help develop kids that would normally be busts or tweeners, into legit players.

Instead, we have one of the smaller groups of scouts, coaches and trainers in the league.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know about anyone else here, but if I was an NHL owner in a medium sized market, where I was iffy about being a 'cap' team....I'd be putting as much money as possible into scouts, a strong developmental AHL team, and good coaches who are known for developing young players. All that costs less than the average NHLer, and has the potential to help develop kids that would normally be busts or tweeners, into legit players.

Instead, we have one of the smaller groups of scouts, coaches and trainers in the league.

NNF for Owner

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It’s hard to imagine he’d stay after this recent circus, especially after Ryan’s comments.

I can’t remember a star player re-signing after being treated in such a way by management and media. It’s pretty hard to deny that he’s being actively shopped now too.

When it happens the backlash will be far greater than anything Melnyk has seen. Way worse than Alfie and Spezza.

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With Dorion scouting EDM in person past few games, I think EK as good as gone and now he just looking for right place.

Dorion is in the right place. Go get us Drai.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
It’s hard to imagine he’d stay after this recent circus, especially after Ryan’s comments.

I can’t remember a star player re-signing after being treated in such a way by management and media. It’s pretty hard to deny that he’s being actively shopped now too.

When it happens the backlash will be far greater than anything Melnyk has seen. Way worse than Alfie and Spezza.

Bourque was underpaid forever and he stuck around pretty much until the end, then moved on to win a Cup.
I don't think the backlash will be that bad, to be honest. There are about 8,000-10,000 fans that will just buy (season) tickets no matter what. We know that one of the worst editions of the team still draws between 12,000 and 14,000 per game, so Melnyk won't be too scared to move Erik.

I voted he's gone by the draft, but I do hope he stays.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Unless Dorion decides Karlsson is not avialable and comes out and openly states that.. Karlsson will be on the trade board .. and Dorion will again try to include Ryan. .. He will listen to both options I am sure of that.
Why is he doing this? I have a hard time believing its his idea. He was largely responsible for drafting him and he seems to have a good relationship with Karlsson. It points to Melnyk and it points to shedding salary.

Lots of people think he signs here .. I hope you are right. I fear you are not and based on the circus at the tdl ,... I think we are in for another one leading to the draft. If so its a very strange way to approach Karlsson staying on

Reactions: aragorn

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Bourque was underpaid forever and he stuck around pretty much until the end, then moved on to win a Cup.
I don't think the backlash will be that bad, to be honest. There are about 8,000-10,000 fans that will just buy (season) tickets no matter what. We know that one of the worst editions of the team still draws between 12,000 and 14,000 per game, so Melnyk won't be too scared to move Erik.

I’m too young to know, but was he being shopped the same way Karlsson is now? There is literally nothing that indicates ownership/management wants to keep him.

Listen to how Chayka spoke about OEL and compare it to Dorion’s words of wisdom.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If Edmonton did trade for EK, they would have to do so with knowledge that they would get an extension out of him if they were going to give up Draisaitl (who is really the only guy I'd go after in Edmonton in a Karlsson deal).

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

In all honesty, I think trading EK will seriously hurt the franchise for the next 5 years. They'll limp into Lebreton Flats and only then will we perhaps see some sort of resurgence, but if Melnyk continues to alienate the fanbase, I'm not so sure even the big move downtown will reinvigorate the Sens.

Ek is a franchise player, and trading him for a few quality pieces and picks will inevitably put the franchise on ice(pun intended).

Reactions: armani

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Wasn't Stamkos shopped around & even allowed to have a meeting with the Leafs? He decided to take Tampa's offer instead & stay. Duchene I believe was shopped around for over a yr at least before they finally got what they wanted for him. What about how PK was treated by management in Montreal & traded away, that looked bad from an outside perspective & the talk is Pacioretty is available to be traded. The NYR traded their captain at the deadline because their team had a crappy season.

It just reminds us that it's a business & management is made to make business decisions not personal ones although this organization is also known for treating their players very well. Fisher got the trade he wanted to Nashville, Phaneuf got the trade he wanted to LA & in both cases for family reasons which management did to help the player more so than themselves. Sadly when a team has a crappy season changes must be made so that the fan base can see some progress for the future & sometimes it means moving the best player(s).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wasn't Stamkos shopped around & even allowed to have a meeting with the Leafs? He decided to take Tampa's offer instead & stay. Duchene I believe was shopped around for over a yr at least before they finally got what they wanted for him. What about how PK was treated by management in Montreal & traded away, that looked bad from an outside perspective & the talk is Pacioretty is available to be traded. The NYR traded their captain at the deadline because their team had a crappy season.

It just reminds us that it's a business & management is made to make business decisions not personal ones although this organization is also known for treating their players very well. Fisher got the trade he wanted to Nashville, Phaneuf got the trade he wanted to LA & in both cases for family reasons which management did to help the player more so than themselves. Sadly when a team has a crappy season changes must be made so that the fan base can see some progress for the future & sometimes it means moving the best player(s).
Pretty sure Stamkos was a UFA doing his own looking around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad