How will the Karlsson situation play out?

What happens to Karlsson?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The only "investing" that Melnyk has done is any upgrades to the arena (although possibly paid for by playoff revenues over the years) and now the Lebreton project.

Have there been any upgrades or renos? Sat in the 100s last week with my kids for Disney on Ice, the three seats we were in were falling apart. What else was has been upgraded? The Bell Zone? Didn't Bell pay for that?

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Have there been any upgrades or renos? Sat in the 100s last week with my kids for Disney on Ice, the three seats we were in were falling apart. What else was has been upgraded? The Bell Zone? Didn't Bell pay for that?
Been going since 1997. Off the top of my head since Melnyk bought the arena:

- Video screens on wall at Gate 1.
- Wrap around displays on 200 level and 100 level facings
- Scoreboard
- Some repurposed spaces throughout the arena (The Loft, Club Bell, etc)

Nothing really major structural. Very superficial. If Lebreton fell through, I expect that he would have invested in the building. Right now, it would be foolish to - for example - replace the seats or go through a major reno.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It's clear that there would be an uproar with many fans if EK was traded. I wonder, however, (if extended) how these passionate EK fans will feel, when he never wins another Norris trophy, stops leadingthe team in scoring, becomes a minus +/- player, is relegated to a 2nd pairing role, and is earning $11.5 million/year? Eventually, most or all of these things will come to pass before his contract expires. Will you still love him or will you demand the GM or owner's head on a pike for committing to the deal?

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Karlsson is a pretty much a generational player. The only five undisputed so far are Orr, Gretzky, Toews, Crosby and Lemieux. Karlsson is close and so is McDavid. Crosby is earning 8.5 AAV, Toews 10.5 AAV and McDavid 12.5 AAV. Karlsson probably deserves in-between 10 and 11 AAV. The question is whether Melnyk will pay that and what he could get for Karlsson in a trade.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's clear that there would be an uproar with many fans if EK was traded. I wonder, however, (if extended) how these passionate EK fans will feel, when he never wins another Norris trophy, stops leadingthe team in scoring, becomes a minus +/- player, is relegated to a 2nd pairing role, and is earning $11.5 million/year?

This is the EK argument that irks me the most. NOBODY challenges what Tavares may look like in 5 years, yet he will sign a massive contract somewhere. You have a generational talent, you do everything in your power to keep him. Has Pitt ever considered moving Crosby because maybe "in a few years he won't be the same player"?? That's just crazy talk.

So, the best offensive defenceman to ever play in this league, who basically led his team to the Eastern Conference Championship on one leg and who is very small in stature and is very good at keeping in shape is just going to become an afterthought in 2 years. Great logic here.

You do know that in an off-season by his standards, while playing on one and a half legs and playing on a terribly coached, poorly assembled hockey team, is now third in the league in defenceman scoring.

A lot of Ottawa Senators fans truly don't appreciate the talent we have here. Should be a blast having Cody Ceci playing a much bigger role next year when EK is moved.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Did you hear about the plans to build a brand new Arena on Lebreton Flats?
Yeah.... Who do you think,is directly responsible for that ???Must be because EM saved his way there...And nothing to do with us miserable fans that dont support the team.....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is the EK argument that irks me the most. NOBODY challenges what Tavares may look like in 5 years, yet he will sign a massive contract somewhere. You have a generational talent, you do everything in your power to keep him. Has Pitt ever considered moving Crosby because maybe "in a few years he won't be the same player"?? That's just crazy talk.

So, the best offensive defenceman to ever play in this league, who basically led his team to the Eastern Conference Championship on one leg and who is very small in stature and is very good at keeping in shape is just going to become an afterthought in 2 years. Great logic here.

You do know that in an off-season by his standards, while playing on one and a half legs and playing on a terribly coached, poorly assembled hockey team, is now second in the league in defenceman scoring.

A lot of Ottawa Senators fans truly don't appreciate the talent we have here. Should be a blast having Cody Ceci playing a much bigger role next year when EK is moved.
I would ask for a trade,if I were him...People already hate the guy,him trying to take EK,s place would just be torture

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
What's the logic if he's not trading him to save money? I'm also not sure how you make the connection between what you wrote and the post you quoted.

You don't trade the best defensemen in the league for no reason. It certainly won't make the team better, and Karlsson still has a lot of years ahead of him.
Just playing devils advocate here...

To the bold, when was the last time a team won a cup when their "head and shoulders above the rest on the team" player was a defenceman? I honestly can't remember...

Perhaps their plan is to move all that money to forward? I can think of several examples of a team winning a cup with their clear best player was a forward....

I don't know but I do remember lots of talk several years ago from Ottawa fans asking "can you win a cup when your best player is a defenceman"?

That said, I hope we re-sign the guy. We just won't get the value in any trade.

Last edited:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Karlsson is a pretty much a generational player. The only five undisputed so far are Orr, Gretzky, Toews, Crosby and Lemieux. Karlsson is close and so is McDavid. Crosby is earning 8.5 AAV, Toews 10.5 AAV and McDavid 12.5 AAV. Karlsson probably deserves in-between 10 and 11 AAV. The question is whether Melnyk will pay that and what he could get for Karlsson in a trade.
How the heck did he sneak onto that list? :neener:

A great leader, I'll agree. :)

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's clear that there would be an uproar with many fans if EK was traded. I wonder, however, (if extended) how these passionate EK fans will feel, when he never wins another Norris trophy, stops leadingthe team in scoring, becomes a minus +/- player, is relegated to a 2nd pairing role, and is earning $11.5 million/year? Eventually, most or all of these things will come to pass before his contract expires. Will you still love him or will you demand the GM or owner's head on a pike for committing to the deal?

Lol wut.

Karlsson will be an elite player for the next 10 years

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Lol wut.

If they re-sign him then I hope you are right. The surgeries to his leg/ankle are concerning. Sh!t like that catches up to you as you get older.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol wut.

Nobody really knows at this point. He's having his worst season yet and we've seen this song and dance from many players before.

Personally, I'd wager that he gets back to his normal self soon and he is an elite player for at least 4-5 more years, but it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that he doesn't play up to the contract down the line at some point.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Nobody really knows at this point. He's having his worst season yet and we've seen this song and dance from many players before.

Personally, I'd wager that he gets back to his normal self soon and he is an elite player for at least 4-5 more years, but it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that he doesn't play up to the contract down the line at some point.

He's having his worst season, coming back from a serious injury, playing on a terrible team and he is producing at a rate that would make all star defenceman jealous.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I see the Vegas deal that didn't go down at the trade deadline actually go down at the draft when they have time to make the logistics work. So Karlsson with Ryan. That's my guess, anyway.

My *hope* is a Karlsson long term deal in Ottawa.

They certainly have the cap space but now they'd be having to deal the future depth of the club by sending 2019/2020 1sts out the door along with young talent like Theodore.

I'm not sure they are going to want to pay the price if it's more than what they already offered.

Admittedly I think Dorion was under so much pressure at the deadline there is a good chance he takes the same deal in the summer while everyone is at the cottage / enjoying sunshine / removed from terrible season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's having his worst season, coming back from a serious injury, playing on a terrible team and he is producing at a rate that would make all star defenceman jealous.
He is, you're right, but that's the argument isn't it? Until we see him play like his old self, we won't know for sure if he can return to that form and that the injury won't haunt him down the line. Points or not, we've all seen him this year and he has been a shadow of the player we're used to. He's contributed to this team being terrible as well. Just playing devil's advocate to your comment, he's not guaranteed to be elite for 10 more years any more than he is to fall apart and be on an albatross contract.

I even side with you that I think he gets back to that, but it still makes me nervous to sign him to a sixth of our budget for the next eight years fresh off arguably his worst season.

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Yeah.... Who do you think,is directly responsible for that ???Must be because EM saved his way there...And nothing to do with us miserable fans that dont support the team.....

I know its common practice to build billion dollar arenas when they are supported by a terrible fanbase, but maybe this time it's different and we are a super special terrible fanbase who will cause the arena to be cancelled, the Sens to move, the Ottawa River to dry up and the ghosts of the CTC to haunt our dreams for all time.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Or Bobby Ryan.

giphy.gif

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He is, you're right, but that's the argument isn't it? Until we see him play like his old self, we won't know for sure if he can return to that form and that the injury won't haunt him down the line. Points or not, we've all seen him this year and he has been a shadow of the player we're used to. He's contributed to this team being terrible as well. Just playing devil's advocate to your comment, he's not guaranteed to be elite for 10 more years any more than he is to fall apart and be on an albatross contract.

I even side with you that I think he gets back to that, but it still makes me nervous to sign him to a sixth of our budget for the next eight years fresh off arguably his worst season.
Since Jan 1 Karlsson is #1 in the NHL in D scoring with 29p in 32gp.

Over that stretch he is -6.

He is rounding back to form

Betting against Karlsson is a fool's wager.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Also gonna play devil's advocate here:

He spent the majority of the season playing with Johnny Oduya and playing with goaltenders with a sub 900 save% while not being 100%. I will say that there is a better chance that he turns things around than not.

Reactions: The Lewler

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I honestly don't even want to argue it because I do think he gets back to being a great player, and we are seeing some of that now. I think he will be a player we regret walking away from unlike some other players like Spezza and Heatley that deteriorated so quickly after leaving. I was only responding because of the laughing at another poster for the idea that Karlsson may one day not be worth the contract he gets and that he's guaranteed to be elite for 10 years, nobody knows one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->