Speculation: How will the Blues eventually get a "true #1 center"?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Teams don't need toughness. Teams need skill. Plain and simple. This gets proven time and time and time and time again yet somehow people still think it's necessary to win. There's no correlation between size and winning. There's no correlation between toughness and winning. There is a distinct correlation between skill and winning.

The Blues have had a bit of a lack of drive to the front of the net early in the season. But we're seeing more of it now, and not surprisingly the goal scoring is picking up. That issue gets oversimplified as having to do with size and grit.

Brouwer and Backes are both good net-front guys, and the Blues are still showing how they are replacing that role. But I'm not convinced it has to be a big physical guy to succeed at that. Talking about Perron, he's always been feisty at winning board battles and not afraid of mixing it up around the crease. I think he's a very reasonable replacement for Brouwer, and maybe an improvement. The only caveat there is that Brouwer had a very nice playoffs, and we'd like to see that from Perron too.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I'm pretty sure Stastny was matched up against Benn for most of that series. Am I remembering it incorrectly?

You know you could be right. I just remember that Sunday afternoon game in Dallas, Gm 2. It was a must win game for the Blues and don't you remember how Backes gave Benn that classic stare down as they crossed paths on the ice after a whistle? Benn just kept on skating, and didn't take Backes up on his offer cause Backes was ready to drop em. NBC replayed it in slow motion. But your probably right, Stastny's line might of gone up against Benn's more often. But chances are if Backes wasn't out there then Brouwer was, respect goes a long way.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
You know you could be right. I just remember that Sunday afternoon game in Dallas, Gm 2. It was a must win game for the Blues and don't you remember how Backes gave Benn that classic stare down as they crossed paths on the ice after a whistle? Benn just kept on skating, and didn't take Backes up on his offer cause Backes was ready to drop em. NBC replayed it in slow motion. But your probably right, Stastny's line might of gone up against Benn's more often. But chances are if Backes wasn't out there then Brouwer was, respect goes a long way.

We miss Backes because he was a complete hockey player, not because he can stare at Jamie Benn. Benn wasn't so scared of Backes that it affected his play. That's just ridiculous to suggest. If there is anyone on the team worthy of being feared it's Reaves, and he was there last game and it didn't stop Benn from stirring the pot. It's total nonsense that having someone tough or "respected" on the ice/ bench will deter cheap shots or stop a dirty player from playing dirty. It's false and it's always been false. McSorely didn't keep people from taking runs at Gretzky, Twist didn't keep people from taking runs at Hull, and David Backes sure didn't intimidate anyone enough to "tame" him. He was injured and completely shut down by Stastny. That's all there is to it.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
How will the Blues get a true #1 Center?

Haven't read the whole thread but has anyone said the Blues should entertain the idea of trading Pietrangelo in a potential blockbuster deal for a top Center? Either an existing top center or a young kid with a ton of potential? Other than that, I don't see how the Blues will get one.

I see where people talked about signing Tavares as a free agent, and it seems the consensus is that it's just wishful thinking but Stastny's a free agent the same year as Tavares so you never really know, maybe the Blues could be in play. Just wish we had some promising young forwards ready to come up and play for us to make the Blues even more attractive to a guy like Tavares.

By the way, I guess it's a good thing the Blues never swung that deal for Stamkos as their Center like it was rumored several months ago. Stamkos just can't stay healthy.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Pretty sure Benn would kill Backes in a fight. Benn can chuck em pretty damn good.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
It's total nonsense that having someone tough or "respected" on the ice/ bench will deter cheap shots or stop a dirty player from playing dirty. It's false and it's always been false. McSorely didn't keep people from taking runs at Gretzky, Twist didn't keep people from taking runs at Hull, and David Backes sure didn't intimidate anyone enough to "tame" him.

Well I don't know about that, Hull has been quoted saying he wouldn't of had the career or success he had without guys like Twist and Chase on his side. And you forgot Semenko, he took care of Gretzky as well. Just think how many more hits those guys would have absorbed if they didn't have guys like Twist or McSorley on their side. When the opposing team knows they have to answer to someone for their actions, it does help keep them more in line.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Pittsburgh had Lemieux, but went out and acquired Ulf Samuelsson and Kjell Samuelsson to make their defense bigger and tougher before the started winning cups. I'm not saying the Pens won because of them, but they sure didn't hurt. LA recently relied on a lot of size and grit for their success. Size is a factor in San Jose's game too. NJ won cups with a gritty, lunch-bucket forward corps and Stevens/Daneyko on D. Size and toughness is not the be-all and end-all, but suggesting it is not an advantage is incorrect.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
All of these examples are before the lockout season. The game isn't the same, you don't need as much grit and toughness to be successful. Never said it wasn't useful, but if this team isn't as good, it's because of what Backes brought in terms of defensive play and reliability in game, as well as his offensive contributions but not his fighting and toughness.

LA is a recent example of a team that values size being successful, but Backes is exiting his prime. The window to win with him was probably over, he isn't getting any younger. Based on play style, his drop off was expected to be bad, DA wants to extend the window and keep the team competitive as long as possible. He felt this was the best option. At this point, only time will tell if he made the right choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad