Speculation: How will the Blues eventually get a "true #1 center"?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I just can't see Tavares extending with the Islanders. They have never been a contender while he's been there, he carries the team and they still don't look like they will surround him with the talent to compete. I expect that they'll either trade him next year or lose him in UFA.

I just don't see a possibility of him ending up in St. Louis.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I just can't see Tavares extending with the Islanders. They have never been a contender while he's been there, he carries the team and they still don't look like they will surround him with the talent to compete. I expect that they'll either trade him next year or lose him in UFA.

I just don't see a possibility of him ending up in St. Louis.

It just baffles me that they let Okposo walk without even seemingly trying to work out an extension. Tavares and Okposo both thrived playing with each other. I think replacing Okposo with Ladd will wind up being the last straw for Tavares.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It just baffles me that they let Okposo walk without even seemingly trying to work out an extension. Tavares and Okposo both thrived playing with each other. I think replacing Okposo with Ladd will wind up being the last straw for Tavares.

They "tried". It's just bizarre that they apparently refused to even consider going to 7 years for a 28 year old Okposo, but were happy to give a player 2½ years older a 7 year deal in UFA. Given that Okposo signed in Buffalo, I think it's safe to say that the reason he isn't on the Islanders is all on their management.

Elite players normally end up getting something worked out with their current teams with the cap in place, but I don't see it this time.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You're missing the point. The Blues did overpay for him because they outbid themselves for his services. Nobody was knocking the door down to sign him. Look at all the free agent bargains that were still out there after the free agent signings died down. A guy like Vanek, who by his standards had a down year last year but yet still posted better numbers than Perron, he signed for only 2M. Stempniak who resuscitated his career earned a 2.5M deal. Yeah, the Blues did overpay for Perron. They could of had him at a cheaper price.
No, they couldn't have. They had to beat out Montreal, and Anaheim, to sign him.

If you think Perron was going to take 3 mil or less or something like that, you're truly in la-la land.

Stempniak is a career journeyman who has been up and down his whole career, and is known to sign for cheap. Vanek is getting older and slowing down. Both are several years older than Perron. Those aren't good examples. Why didn't you mention Brouwer's contract since you want to compare the two? Or players who are actually in more similar spots... Must be because it works against your argument.

You probably don't even know there are forwards on the Blues making as much as him who aren't as good. Brouwer would have been another one.

Last edited:

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
No, they couldn't have. They had to beat out Montreal, and Anaheim, to sign him.

If you think Perron was going to take 3 mil or less or something like that, you're truly in la-la land.

Stempniak is a career journeyman who has been up and down his whole career, and is known to sign for cheap. Vanek is getting older and slowing down. Both are several years older than Perron. Those aren't good examples. Why didn't you mention Brouwer's contract since you want to compare the two? Or players who are actually in more similar spots... Must be because it works against your argument.

You probably don't even know there are forwards on the Blues making as much as him who aren't as good. Brouwer would have been another one.

Man, there's a lot of Perron fans these days. Wait till April when the game speed picks up, the checking is closer, more fierce and the hitting is more prevalent. When we'll need Perron to step up in the playoffs, it won't happen. Book it! :)

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Man, there's a lot of Perron fans these days. Wait till April when the game speed picks up, the checking is closer, more fierce and the hitting is more prevalent. When we'll need Perron to step up in the playoffs, it won't happen. Book it! :)
You know you're right. A player must be a big heavyweight to succeed. That's why Robby Fabbri was our best player last playoffs! He certainly isn't 5'10" 180lbs and plays a more skill oriented game. Not at all...

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I never understand why people hate on players who are helping the team.

Because something something hits are the most important statistic in hockey something something we have soft players something something.

I always love it when I hear that the biggest downside to a player is that he is soft. I mean, if that's the biggest concern with the player, then damn, he must either be a pretty good player or a really good player.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So discuss is Perron, so why not Perron 1c. That's true I'll wait the time when Perron start to play like sloppy, slide to d-zone take o-zone penalties and try too slick setups meanwhile I enjoy his performance. He has been really good like really really good.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

In the playoff series against Vancouver, the only 2 guys I remember really stepping up their game were Andy McDonald and David Perron. I'd prefer to enjoy his contributions now rather than fabricate some narrative and bag on him before it even happens.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Certainly possible, but Perron was never this type of player here in years past.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Book it like we booked Schwartz being nothing more then at best a 2nd line scrub? Gotcha

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
You know you're right. A player must be a big heavyweight to succeed. That's why Robby Fabbri was our best player last playoffs! He certainly isn't 5'10" 180lbs and plays a more skill oriented game. Not at all...

Not saying that. I'm saying in the Blues case they need the whole package. They were a complete team last year. Had everything, size, a little speed, a big time scorer in Tarasenko, an above average defense, solid goaltending with depth, the 3 kids that came on board last year sealed the deal. The Blues were a complete team.
Right now, they are not a complete team.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I never understand why people hate on players who are helping the team.

Don't hate Perron. May sound like it, but I don't. Just saying in my opinion the Blues chose the wrong path in spending to the Cap. In my opinion this team won't get thru the playoffs, unless of course Armstrong swings a successful deal with Shattenkirk, but until then this team, in my opinion, is not good enough to get back to the WC Finals.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
In the playoff series against Vancouver, the only 2 guys I remember really stepping up their game were Andy McDonald and David Perron. I'd prefer to enjoy his contributions now rather than fabricate some narrative and bag on him before it even happens.

I remember that too. You got it exactly right, McDonald and Perron were the best players in that series. Sorry if I sound so negative, not really trying to be. If we still had Backes and Brouwer and then Perron was brought on board, I'd be fine with it. I didn't get to see the Dallas game because it was blacked out on Gamecenter but my friends are telling me Jamie Benn was taking liberty on us at the end of the game. I mean, Backes had Benn tamed in the playoffs, that guy didn't say boo. I mean, people like to downplay physicality and toughness, but at some point in the playoffs, your team needs it.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
So if you need toughness and physicality to win the cup, who was that guy on Pittsburgh or Chicago? Bickell?

I'm not saying toughness is useless but you most certainly don't need much on your team, especially these days. Reaves, Upshall, Edmundson, Bortuzzo, Berglund have all played with a physical edge (Berglund a surprise lmao). Even Jaskin has brought some heaviness to the lineup.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
I remember that too. You got it exactly right, McDonald and Perron were the best players in that series. Sorry if I sound so negative, not really trying to be. If we still had Backes and Brouwer and then Perron was brought on board, I'd be fine with it. I didn't get to see the Dallas game because it was blacked out on Gamecenter but my friends are telling me Jamie Benn was taking liberty on us at the end of the game. I mean, Backes had Benn tamed in the playoffs, that guy didn't say boo. I mean, people like to downplay physicality and toughness, but at some point in the playoffs, your team needs it.

I'm pretty sure Stastny was matched up against Benn for most of that series. Am I remembering it incorrectly?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Teams don't need toughness. Teams need skill. Plain and simple. This gets proven time and time and time and time again yet somehow people still think it's necessary to win. There's no correlation between size and winning. There's no correlation between toughness and winning. There is a distinct correlation between skill and winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad