Speculation: How will the Blues eventually get a "true #1 center"?

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Let's define a "true #1 center" as a player who plays most of his time at center and scores at least 70 points in a season; we haven't had one of those since Turgeon in 2000-01. Assuming the Blues eventually do get another player like that, how will we acquire him?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'm probably in the small minority here, but I am still confident that Fabbri will transition to Center and be their #1. I think one of the things that sets him back is his defensive abilities. He is working on it, but so far this year he is showing he can be more of a playmaker and not just a triggerman.

But if he doesn't make that transition, I think Blues get one via trade. I dont see in the near future them ever having the cap space to sign a #1C in the free agent market.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Won't happen, until the next rebuild or the one after. Army has wasted too many assets at this point.

The real answer is not an option IMO.

Last edited:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
In the short term, Fabbri is pretty much our best shot at a true #1C. Put Tarasenko on his right wing, and another player to help make up for the deficiencies in his game on his left wing (basically a prime Steen).

Other than that, blow it up and start over is our only other hope for a true #1C. I just don't see any good trades out there for us and Army has blown quite a few opportunities to get one with the assets he inherited, or he banked on the wrong players (I.E. Lehtera :rant: ).

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Strike gold in the draft

Also did Doug Weight not count?

By the definition in the OP, no, Weight isn't a "true #1 center", but he's close. And I think that, if we're to get one in the next 5 years, it'll probably be us getting extremely lucky and striking gold.

I'm probably in the small minority here, but I am still confident that Fabbri will transition to Center and be their #1. I think one of the things that sets him back is his defensive abilities. He is working on it, but so far this year he is showing he can be more of a playmaker and not just a triggerman.

So I guess that would be "mid-late first round pick".

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don't think it'll happen until they get a top-10 pick again (or more like top-5) so I voted for that option...but even that's no guarantee. So basically I don't see t as overly possible until the next rebuild.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We will have to be very bad for a couple of years before we draft high enough to get the kind of number one center people covet.

Do we want to roll the dice and trade Parayko for a young pro who looks like he has the right stuff? As much as I love Parayko's game, he has given us an opportunity to make such a deal. We have several d-men under contract for years, with no-trade clauses in their contracts. We have some very good prospects in Edmundson and Lindbohm, who have already had some NHL time. We have three other prospects in Dunn, Schmaltz and Walman. We could get by without Parayko on defense.

But we better not miss on the trade. Fans would want to lynch Armstrong if the guy we acquired was a bust.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I would not want to trade Parayko unless it was for a center who was young but also proven that he can be a #1 at the NHL level. Even then I would be nervous. But I don't see anyone who would fit that mold anyway so I'd much rather keep Parayko.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Parayko should not be moved unless it's for a Barkov, Matthews or McDavid type, but those teams won't trade those players.

The guy is the best U-23 defenseman (if not, he certainly isn't far from Ekblad). He is already showing signs of being a capable #1D and the size skill and speed he brings would take a miracle to replace (he himself was a miracle). None of our prospects on defense will ever be as impactful as him at the NHL level.

As for the thread, Fabbri is our only hope. I don't think he has as many deficiencies as some claim, he always had the effort on defense and now that he's become stronger he looks a lot better. I do think he could be a very good player, a player who is serviceable defensively and can produce 65+ points and 30 goals. It's an absolute long shot for him to reach 75+ point level (essentially become the next Giroux) and I'd make no bets on it. That being said, I'm not counting him out.

It would take a rebuild for us to truly acquire that #1C unless Fabbri surpasses expectations or we end up with another Parayko miracle except with a center.

Truth is, none of us know what the future holds, so we don't really know. This is all just educated guesses.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
There were 13 centres who were on pace for 70 points last season (Giroux, Scheifele, Krejčí, Barkov, Tavares, Kopitar, Bäckström, Kuznetsov, Thornton, Seguin, Malkin, Crosby & McDavid).

I think what we have to take from the list is that our only chance of getting a 70 point centre is drafting him, or ripping off the Bruins.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Draft Khovanov in 2018, he's going to be a 1C, but he's Russian, so teams probably won't spend top10 picks on him, or even top15.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Where's the "dumb luck" option?

Honestly though, the only way we are going to get a number 1 centre is through the draft. You don't necessarily need a top-5 pick to find one. Yes, it's much easier, but recently teams have been able to find great prospects between picks 15 - ~22. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but hey, it's not the worst idea to be a little positive.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Most likely with the draft but with the Blues' luck the year they finally get a relatively high pick the only good players will be goalies or defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad