How will new stats change TV coverage

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

Paywall.

No mention I've seen has talked about radio impact as well. Nor MSM nor blogs.

A lot of the work for TV side may be useable for radio.

May just have to wait.

I am keenly monitoring for news on this subject but there has been very little public news.

Yesterday's article was very interesting and here's another FREE one from Jersey:

The Possibilities of Puck and Player Tracking for the Devils (and Others)

BUT, I just listened to an awesome podcast from the The full 60 w Craig Custance:
Andrew C. Thomas on player tracking and the evolution of hockey analytics

I listen thru the Athletic but the pod does get published for free.

(descr. of pod)
Andrew C. Thomas on player tracking and the evolution of hockey analytics
Andrew C. Thomas, director of data science for SMT and former lead hockey researcher for the Wild, discusses his new gig and the future of player tracking in hockey. With tracking on the NHL's horizon, Andrew discusses the types of tools that could become available to fans, broadcasters and front offices (6:51), how access to new data could be useful in areas like contract negotiations (16:41), the biggest changes we could see in on-ice play when more information becomes available (27:38), the nature of coach/management team relationships with an analytics staff (33:07) and how data is relayed for real-time decisions (37:40). Plus, how tracking can be useful when it comes to the Draft (45:22), Seattle hiring Alexandra Mandrycky as director of hockey administration (55:42), and Andrew's famous appearance on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (58:13).

I'm still digesting but at least I know now that there is alot of work going on in NHL R&D groups that they are keeping quiet. I would expect some NHL marketing stuff shortly given the interest that will now be generated.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
What it can do for TV is explain offensive and defensive concepts in a very automated basis.

Before the game you can quickly collate all the different set pieces off a power play faceoff, then turn it into an X & O animation overlaid in the ice in game. You can do the same thing for PP & PK systems.

Same goes for breakouts & forecheck schemes. During the game you can start to find whether team X is performing their optimized breakouts or is team Y forcing them out of that.

Can defender X maintain his normal gap on players coming at him or is player Y forcing him to play softer?

Does forward player X do a certain kind of play more of them than others?

BTW, this is also going to be used to automate advance scouting, pro scouting and player evaluation(what makes for quality defenders?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->