Speculation: How will Dubas keep Kadri happy next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kadri is no longer the #2 center. He is now the #3 center. It looks wonderful for coaches and fans, but what about Kadri? He is a back to back 30 goal scorer. How is he going to achieve that playing 13 min. a night? He doesn't kill penalties, and I would imagine he might play the 2nd PP. The question I suppose is: does Kadri like winning more than his lightened responsibility? Will he be unhappy doing less?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nazem Kadri on potential role change with addition of John Tavares: "I just want to win. Every every single year I watch the Stanley Cup Finals... I just want that so bad for the city and the organization" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

On how his role may change with John Tavares added down the middle

Kadri
:
At the end of the day, I just want to win. Every single time, every single year I watch the Stanley Cup Finals. The two teams are playing in June and I just want that so bad for the city and the organization. From my understanding — I’ve spoken with management and Babs – my role isn’t going to decrease or change. I am still going to be the matchup guy and on the power play that has probably gotten a bit of a boost now that JT is on board. If we are going to win, it’s not going to be dependent on just one or two guys. We are going to be a whole group.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It's not Dubas's job to utilize Naz effectively, that's Bab's job.

Naz will be fine though - he just wants to win.

The personal #s don't matter to him if we make it to the Promised Land.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He's going to be on the first line PP.

After a shift where neither Tavares or Matthews played, like after a PP2, you can throw Kadri out on LW with Matthews and Nylander. Babcock did that quite a bit last year. There are many creative ways to get Kadri up to 18ish minutes.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Kadri is no longer the #2 center. He is now the #3 center. It looks wonderful for coaches and fans, but what about Kadri? He is a back to back 30 goal scorer. How is he going to achieve that playing 13 min. a night? He doesn't kill penalties, and I would imagine he might play the 2nd PP. The question I suppose is: does Kadri like winning more than his lightened responsibility? Will he be unhappy doing less?

Phil Kessel is a 3rd line winger, does that stop him from scoring 80+ points? It doesn’t matter and it won’t matter what line he plays on as long as he has a higher chance at wearing the ring. If he wins the cup he will be paid handsomely once he is a UFA.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Is Dubas coaching the team?

Never seen a GM issue ice times/ set lines or determine usage.

Well the reason I bring up Dubas is because GMs do deal with disgruntled players. Gilmour probably had quite a few words with CGY's GM about ice time and wanting a bigger role before he was traded to the leafs.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Speculation: Millennials don't need to be kept happy. They can suck it up and perform their new assigned role/task.

Reactions: Sutti19

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nazem Kadri has appeared to be the most excited Leaf in terms of Tavares coming here due to their relationship from their time in London and the World Juniors together.

I doubt that’s an issue.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Also, if we're down by a goal with 10 min left in the third, we can just run 2 lines:

Tavares-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

Kadri will easily be up there in ice time.

Last edited:

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Kadri is a role model for putting the team first... he'll take his minutes as they come.

I would also put an A on his jersey.

Reactions: The Magic Man

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Jozay has this correct. Naz has not been left in the dark on this matter. It is a total non issue UNLESS Babs reneges. But why would he? He knows the ramifications of a bad locker room. It is one of the benefits of having a stacked centre core. Everything was agreed between JT, AM and Naz before the signing. But i would not want to be 4th line centre on this team with 3 competitive guys all looking for 20 minutes a night.

Reactions: diceman934

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There hasn't been much of a difference in ice-time between the 2C and 3C. The greater difference has been found between the 3C and 4C. Not worried about Kadri.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well the reason I bring up Dubas is because GMs do deal with disgruntled players. Gilmour probably had quite a few words with CGY's GM about ice time and wanting a bigger role before he was traded to the leafs.

Kadri isn't disgruntled and it should be pretty clear to him that he falls behind both Matthews and Tavares on the depth chart.

His role is likely to change now into a more defensive/checking and shutdown line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad