How Underrated is Luke Schenn?

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
saskachewan is blue collar

you wont find many guys is suits here. you will find dirty,sweaty guys. farmers,oil workers,miners,machinists, iron workers. you dont bring guys into my town looking for a fight. you will find opponents such as farmers, iron workers, miners. tough dudes. us blue collar guys are raised at a young age, you cut the grass, shovel snow, stack bales, push your car out from 3 feet of snow. and it gets built into the minds of young hockey players. carry yourself on the ice as you do at home. after my dad retired from work, he worked with former nhler selmar odelin, who at that time was a power contractor.and he was as ripped as he was in his nhl days. am i surprised what luke schenn brings to the flyers, no. now go ask him how much grass he cut,snow he shoveled, how many times he pushed his car out the snow. then you will see where his work ethic comes from.luke will tell you he did all that and young brayden just sat back and watched lol. brayden did more than luke would tell you he did. he too is tough and has very good work ethic.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I've hardly seen any flaws, and I'd go so far as to call his play bad ass. The new scenery definitely seems to have done the trick. I hope it lasts. If it does, it's a monster trade for us. I've always loved those hard-edged SAHDs who were renowned for that over long careers. The Devils always made me jealous. It would be awesome if that's how this panned out, I don't care how many times JVR lights the lamp.

Leafs For Life*

IMO he would have definitely excelled under Carlyle, but JVR has been good for us also. Happy to see that Luke is doing good in Philly, and I agree that he is playing like a top pair dman. Very underrated offensively also.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Has easily been the 2nd best dman, and has been better than Timonen at times.

Playing like a true, physical, shutdown #2 dman right now.

The Schenn brothers have been awesome this season.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Besides When Pronger was healthy when was the last time we had a physical defenseman like Schenn or even Grossmann that really punished forwards in the corners and along the walls?

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I agree that he is playing like a top pair dman. Very underrated offensively also.
That's a great segue into a Stevens comparison. The guy came up in the Gretzky/Lemieux era and never lacked for offensive skills, but even though he never lost them entirely, he obviously made a conscious decision to focus on the defensive part of his game and forego numerous Norris trophies.

I think we're seeing a similar maturation from Luke this season.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
That's a great segue into a Stevens comparison. The guy came up in the Gretzky/Lemieux era and never lacked for offensive skills, but even though he never lost them entirely, he obviously made a conscious decision to focus on the defensive part of his game and forego numerous Norris trophies.

I think we're seeing a similar maturation from Luke this season.

Luke never was an offensive guy, though. So not sure what you are talking about.

Oh and Pronger wasn't as physical as L. Schenn is. Pronger would hurt you with his stick and punish you in front of the net, Luke just kills peoeple left and right with his hits.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Luke never was an offensive guy, though. So not sure what you are talking about.

Oh and Pronger wasn't as physical as L. Schenn is. Pronger would hurt you with his stick and punish you in front of the net, Luke just kills peoeple left and right with his hits.

Yeah, Stevens was a much better point producer. He had several fifty point seasons, and a couple hovered just below ppg. I think he really started focusing on being that lock down guy after Scott Neidermayer emerged as the big time offensive threat on those Devil bluelines.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
BTW most teams that win a Cup have a bottom pairing Dman which is next to worthless. Your top 4 plays the most icetime and has the biggest impact.

I like the Carolina model from 2006 - they had 6 #2-4 guys. I think if your bottom pairing is decent, it can help deal with the lack of a solid #1 d-pairing, although I think having a monster #1 seems to be the safe bet.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
I like the Carolina model from 2006 - they had 6 #2-4 guys. I think if your bottom pairing is decent, it can help deal with the lack of a solid #1 d-pairing, although I think having a monster #1 seems to be the safe bet.

I'd rather have one, at best two #1's out there in the last minute of a game. You also don't really need your bottom pairing all that much when you have two dominant guys. If you add two capable bottom-pairing guys to our 2010 setup, that's pretty much perfect.

rban*

Yes ur right. LOL that's why I covered myself by saying 'most' SC winning teams, rather than 'all'.

That Hurricane team was quite a different beast. Twas a strange year, where lions lay next to lambs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad