How to stop teams from holding back their players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelco

Aug 19, 2004
there are so many good players in the league, it would be a good tournament regardless of who exactly goes. If some of these swedes dont the have patriotism to play for their country, then too bad....the Canadians (among others) will be rewarded for the patriotism which is a good thing

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
therealdeal said:
For Canada Pronger, Blake and Yzerman pulled out.
Roenick, Hatcher, Schneider, Handzuš, Bondra, Palffy, Khabibulin, Nabokov, Zhamnov, Markov, Fedorov, Bure, Karalahti, Kapanen...

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I would say the list is a little larger for the Olympics but it is no surprise seeing where it is situated. I count Jovo, Lemieux, Kronwall,Huselius,Naslund, Johnsson, Ruutu, Vaaananen, Kipper, Lehtonen, Kapanen, Palffy, Nagy, Hejduk, Elias, Fedorov, Khabibulin, Zubov, Mogilny, Zhamnov, Hackert, Ozolinsh, Sprukts, Ignatjevs and a few more on the bubble with plenty of hockey left.

Jazz

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I would say the list is a little larger for the Olympics but it is no surprise seeing where it is situated. I count Jovo, Lemieux, Kronwall,Huselius,Naslund, Johnsson, Ruutu, Vaaananen, Kipper, Lehtonen, Kapanen, Palffy, Nagy, Hejduk, Elias, Fedorov, Khabibulin, Zubov, Mogilny, Zhamnov, Hackert, Ozolinsh, Sprukts, Ignatjevs and a few more on the bubble with plenty of hockey left.
I'm splitting hairs here, but Palffy was never in consideration to make the team anyways. He stated after last May's IHWC that he is retired from the National team, and hence, was not even on the Slovakia long-list.

Jazz

go kim johnsson 514 said:
If Gary Bettman would have it his way...they wouldn't go to the Olympics at all....
Personally, Bettman wants them to go. The entire idea to go in Nagano was his in the first place - he even tried to get the NHL into the '94 games in Norway, but he had just started his first term. He knows the potential benefits from going and exposing the game on a global scale.

The problem is that certain (I'll call them 'archaic') owners don't want to go, and Bettman has to do that the owners tell him.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Jazz said:
I'm splitting hairs here, but Palffy was never in consideration to make the team anyways. He stated after last May's IHWC that he is retired from the National team, and hence, was not even on the Slovakia long-list.
I know Jazz, I was including a couple of players that were high profile but were not going to play. I was trying to pump up the World Cup because I think it is a worthy tournament that has a best on best while players are fresh. The Olympics gets players while in better form but more beat up. Two quality, yet different tourneys. I have stated I am not worried about no shows, there are so many quality hockey players on these teams the drop off will hardly be noticed.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jazz said:
The same goes for Mogilny, Zubov, Huselius, etc. who did not pull out and were not at the World Cup either. Lemieux is retired, and while Ignatjevs will not be in Turin, the entire Latvian team missed the World Cup.

Phanuthier*

Jazz said:
I'm sorry, but the arguement about GMs and management should be able to pressure their players to not rest during the NHL season, but to rest during the Olympics because the NHL teams pay their salaries does not hold water in this case, and the reason is the CBA. The Owners, in getting virtually everything else they wanted, gave the Players Olympic participation, and thus the right for the player to have this as 100% his decision.
And it isn't if a team makes a recommendation?

hongster5

Sep 2, 2005
SwisshockeyAcademy said:

some werent invited to go... like elias, which makes me really pissed, elias is so nasty, the czechs should have known he'd b good to go

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Dr Love said:
Ridiculous. A number of would-be Olympians are nursing groin injuries that have bothered them all year. The three weeks off the Olympics gives them will allow them to heal, they shouldn't be penalized for healing injuries. Sami Kapanen has something like three separate injuries. Kim Johnsson has a concussion. You want to suspend them 4 games for not risking losing the rest of the season to injury?

There are injuries you can play through, and there are serious injuries where you clearly can't play. Obviously if the injury is serious, then what I suggested would have no impact. The idea of having an Olympic break is not to give players a chance to rest nagging injuries. If a player can play the regular season games before and after the break, then they can play in the Olympics. If what I suggested was implemented, then players with minor nagging injuries would go to the Olympics, or if it was bad enough, they would use the extra time of the break plus sitting out a few NHL games to heal properly.
I think the incidence of players being suspended for the four games would be nonexistent.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Couldn't they start the NHL season a month early every four years, and maybe give an extra week for the Oylmpic break?

You'd still have some injury drop-outs, but probably alot less without the compressed schedule.

Phanuthier*

Bank Shot said:
Couldn't they start the NHL season a month early every four years, and maybe give an extra week for the Oylmpic break?
I doubt that would have any affect. That's just an extra week of vacation for a player.

It's not like this is a first for players to drop out for time off. Players regularly drop out of the All-Star game to use the break to refresh.

Jazz

Phanuthier said:
And it isn't if a team makes a recommendation?
Sure, a team can make any recommendation they want. But in the end it is the player's call.

But my point is that a team should not pressure or try to coerce a player into not going (title of this thread is: "How to stop teams from holding back their players"). I am also responding to Bob Clarke's statement that a team should be able to hold back a player.

Phanuthier*

Jazz said:
Sure, a team can make any recommendation they want. But in the end it is the player's call.

But my point is that a team should not pressure or try to coerce a player into not going (title of this thread is: "How to stop teams from holding back their players"). I am also responding to Bob Clarke's statement that a team should be able to hold back a player.
You said it yourself, a team can make recommendations and in the end, its the player's call.

So I don't see your point.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Has anybody brought up the conspiracy theory that Clarke (a Canadian) is trying to keep Forsberg from playing for Sweden because it will help Canada.

I don't think he (Clarke) is, but it would be a pretty crappy stunt (and I am Canadian - well dual citizenship, US/Canada, actually).

I know that Canada has a tought time against Sweden. Usually they keep Forsberg under wraps, but Sundin then plays like a men against boys when he plays Canada - I think because Canada's best D-men pairing plays against Forsberg.

Like I said, I think Clarke is just looking out for the Flyers best interest (keeping Forsberg healthy for the playoffs), but I can't say this other thought hasn't crossed my mind as I haven't heard anything about Clarke not wanting Gagne to play for Canada.

I hope Forsberg tells Clarke to where to go.

Jazz

Phanuthier said:
Jazz said:

You said it yourself, a team can make recommendations and in the end, its the player's call.

So I don't see your point.
You did not read the 2nd paragraph? :)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Kenadyan said:
Has anybody brought up the conspiracy theory that Clarke (a Canadian) is trying to keep Forsberg from playing for Sweden because it will help Canada.

I don't think he (Clarke) is, but it would be a pretty crappy stunt (and I am Canadian - well dual citizenship, US/Canada, actually).

I know that Canada has a tought time against Sweden. Usually they keep Forsberg under wraps, but Sundin then plays like a men against boys when he plays Canada - I think because Canada's best D-men pairing plays against Forsberg.

Like I said, I think Clarke is just looking out for the Flyers best interest (keeping Forsberg healthy for the playoffs), but I can't say this other thought hasn't crossed my mind as I haven't heard anything about Clarke not wanting Gagne to play for Canada.

I hope Forsberg tells Clarke to where to go.
Why do you believe everything the Swedish media and its fans say? I think they are making a big deal out of nothing. It's like the Finns and their conspiracy theories against their team. I mean come on. Wouldn't it be better to get rid of Ovechkin or Jagr to reduce the Russians and the Czechs chances instead of wasting energy on reducing Finland's chances? Who here think they're a huge threat? Forsberg WILL be there for Sweden so all these accusations are without proof. Can they accept that in sports, injuries do occur and that some players actually WANT to rest instead of representing their country? In the end, it's the players' decision.

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
Canuck21t said:
Why do you believe everything the Swedish media and its fans say? I think they are making a big deal out of nothing. It's like the Finns and their conspiracy theories against their team. I mean come on. Wouldn't it be better to get rid of Ovechkin or Jagr to reduce the Russians and the Czechs chances instead of wasting energy on reducing Finland's chances? Who here think they're a huge threat? Forsberg WILL be there for Sweden so all these accusations are without proof. Can they accept that in sports, injuries do occur and that some players actually WANT to rest instead of representing their country? In the end, it's the players' decision.

The biggest problem is seeing the so called "injured" players play every night. Since here injured generally means not being able to play. So there's injured and "injured". I really doubt that a conspiracy exists but it will help fill the tabloids. After all how could anyone suspect a team with Ryan Smyth and Todd Bertuzzi of anything negative. Perish the thought.

mytor4*

Mr Kanadensisk said:
Who do you think forced him to break for Turin? It certainly wasn't the players after the last round of negotiations. Gary swore that there was no problem with the NHL product back in the hook and hold days. I don't think he always tells the truth. If he didn't see a huge upside for his league, the players would not be going.

Obviously player bonuses would have to come from league wide revenues, look at it like an advertising expense.

If star players start to use the Olympics for a rest period, the tournament will lose its appeal, and the NHL will just stop going. If you don't want NHLers in the Olympics, then I guess you don't care. This tournament is the only international tournament that both the North Americans and Europeans care about, and in the "elite 7" the skill level is WAY better than any NHL team.

i think you hit it right on the nose. the stanley cup is the real deal for canadians. it would be nice to win the olympics and we canadians will always back our team that goes.but if i'm going to win only 1 cup in my lifetime than it's going to be the stanley cup. the most difficult cup to win not some round robin tornament. sorry i like the olympics but the nhl is a business and the players are paid to win the stanley cup. if said players want to go to the olyampics than great but if they decide not to they have my backing.ya we really don't care as much when it's the olympic hockey compared to the nhl.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
brendadervin said:
The biggest problem is seeing the so called "injured" players play every night. Since here injured generally means not being able to play. So there's injured and "injured". I really doubt that a conspiracy exists but it will help fill the tabloids. After all how could anyone suspect a team with Ryan Smyth and Todd Bertuzzi of anything negative. Perish the thought.
There are players that are not 100 % and would rather rest during the Olympics. Those players probably don't care as much for the Olympics and their country but that's them. Don't invent things like the NHL clubs are ordering them not to go. I don't buy that. The clubs may prefer that the players don't go but it's really up to the players to say yes or no.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
mytor4 said:
i think you hit it right on the nose. the stanley cup is the real deal for canadians. it would be nice to win the olympics and we canadians will always back our team that goes.but if i'm going to win only 1 cup in my lifetime than it's going to be the stanley cup. the most difficult cup to win not some round robin tornament. sorry i like the olympics but the nhl is a business and the players are paid to win the stanley cup. if said players want to go to the olyampics than great but if they decide not to they have my backing.ya we really don't care as much when it's the olympic hockey compared to the nhl.
Canadians DO care about the Olympics. Mario Lemieux's goal was to play at the Olympics in 2002 and missed NHL games so that he'd be rested enough to represent Canada. Steve Yzerman too played injured for Canada and came back with a bad knee if I remember correctly. Both were critized by the club's city media for putting Canada before their NHL club.

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
Canuck21t said:
There are players that are not 100 % and would rather rest during the Olympics. Those players probably don't care as much for the Olympics and their country but that's them. Don't invent things like the NHL clubs are ordering them not to go. I don't buy that. The clubs may prefer that the players don't go but it's really up to the players to say yes or no.

If your employer suggests something would you comply? The situation isn't as black and white as you'd want people to believe. I can imagine the warm relationship after player disregards the suggestion and god forbid injures himself further in the olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->